Incredibly specific pet peeves

People who incorrectly use the definite article as a prefix to a freeway or highway number, ie The 101, The 405, etc... instead of 101, 405. It's just wrong.

I'm talking to YOU, socal.:mad:
 
speeding-up.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: wok
anything hipster.

the use of the word "literally" in almost every sentence when in fact there is NOTHING literal in any of the sentences.
My wife has a T-shirt that says, "Misuse of 'literally' makes me figuratively insane."
 
People who incorrectly use the definite article as a prefix to a freeway or highway number, ie The 101, The 405, etc... instead of 101, 405. It's just wrong.

I'm talking to YOU, socal.:mad:
I've found myself doing that recently.
Must fight it!
 
I've found myself doing that recently.
Must fight it!
I thought of you when I wrote that. You must resist the temptation at all costs.

Correct:
The Nimitz Freeway
or
680 North
or
Highway 680

Incorrect:
The 680

Spread the word.
 
People who incorrectly use the definite article as a prefix to a freeway or highway number, ie The 101, The 405, etc... instead of 101, 405. It's just wrong.

I'm talking to YOU, socal.:mad:
I think that really is a SoCal thing. I've never heard anybody out east refer to The 70, The 81 or The 495...just The Beltway and The BW Parkway.
 
using the word "so"....to start almost every sentence, and especially when they're NOT continuing a previous thought or sentence.

example: (question) what day is it? (the 'so' answer) so......it's tuesday but it literally feels like thursday.
:mad:
 
using the word "so"....to start almost every sentence, and especially when they're NOT continuing a previous thought or sentence.

example: (question) what day is it? (the 'so' answer) so......it's tuesday but it literally feels like thursday.
:mad:
Needs more vocal fry.
 
Womens' salons, usually in rural areas, that have bad play-on-words names.
For example:

The Mane Attraction
Curl Up And Dye
A Cut Above
Sugar to Spice tanning salon
Etc

I guess its not a pet peve actually...but I cant help giving a giant :rolleyes: whenever I see one

Not quite what your are talking about - but I noticed a salon on my way home last night called "She's Happy Hair." Wut? :messedup:
 
Not quite what your are talking about - but I noticed a salon on my way home last night called "She's Happy Hair." Wut? :messedup:

<edit> OK I just now finally got it. "She's happy hair" <-> "she's happy here." I'll just nip off and shoot myself now.
 
People who incorrectly use the definite article as a prefix to a freeway or highway number, ie The 101, The 405, etc... instead of 101, 405. It's just wrong.

I'm talking to YOU, socal.:mad:
We do that around here because one of the highways is The Queen Elizabeth Way, or The QEW for short.
Once you get that rolling off your tongue on a regular basis, it's too easy to keep using it when you refer to all of the 400 series highways.
What's weird is all of the regional highways are known as Highway 55, Highway 8, Highway 20, etc... And they're not really highways.
 
We do that around here because one of the highways is The Queen Elizabeth Way, or The QEW for short.
Once you get that rolling off your tongue on a regular basis, it's too easy to keep using it when you refer to all of the 400 series highways.
What's weird is all of the regional highways are known as Highway 55, Highway 8, Highway 20, etc... And they're not really highways.

Those are acceptable, see post #88.

Just don't put THE before a number and you are OK. Otherwise, go south on THE 101 and keep going.
 
Back
Top