Dig it! The Perpetual Pedalboard of the Day Thread

I re-routed the signal chain so that only the compressor and the dirt pedals were in the loop of the Noise Clamp. Now the NC is sending the modulation and delays back through the compressor and the dirt pedals. If you LOVE self-oscilating delays, this set up is for you!

But I hate it.

I think the bypass switch inside the NC might be the ticket... I hope so. I really don't want to yank this stuff apart again.

^ Scratch that ^

Further reading on the internal bypass switch informed me that it will not help. Actually, it would be worse.

Looks like the only solution is to put the NC after the modulation and delays (and reverb). This sort of makes the loop feature useless in reality. No point running the exact same stuff through the loop that's already in front of it anyway.

The only way I see the loop being useful would be to turn that internal switch on so that when the NC is off, the dirt pedals etc are completely bypassed.

Moved the Noise Clamp to right after the Compressor and dirt pedals. Didn't do jack shit. Gate stayed open permanently.

Took the back off, flipped the switch, and put it back. Now it works. The threshold is higher than I'd like it to be, but it's finally doing its job.

My tertiary board. :) What was left at the apt after PBG and my longer “travel” board. Sounds awfully good.

EF70C226-A090-476F-80E2-6F03E492213C.jpeg

Noise Clamp/Loop update.

Last ditch effort... run only the compressor and dirt through its built in loop, but this time with the internal switch... switched.
Works well. The gate threshold is now what you'd expect. Here's where it gets either crazy cool, or maddeningly weird:
With the internal switch engaged, anything in the loop is completely bypassed when the pedal is "off". Doesn't matter what those pedals "think", they're being silenced completely whether on or off. The crazy cool part is that the NC now becomes a defacto A/B switcher/Master control for an entire group of pedals. With one click you can go from icey clean to having stacked dirt pedals bringing the fjooking fjury!

Downside:

Does NOTHING to help quiet noisy single coils when playing clean. Kinda counterproductive.

Sent from a van down by the river.

Noise Clamp/Loop update.

Last ditch effort... run only the compressor and dirt through its built in loop, but this time with the internal switch... switched.
Works well. The gate threshold is now what you'd expect. Here's where it gets either crazy cool, or maddeningly weird:
With the internal switch engaged, anything in the loop is completely bypassed when the pedal is "off". Doesn't matter what those pedals "think", they're being silenced completely whether on or off. The crazy cool part is that the NC now becomes a defacto A/B switcher/Master control for an entire group of pedals. With one click you can go from icey clean to having stacked dirt pedals bringing the fjooking fjury!

Downside:

Does NOTHING to help quiet noisy single coils when playing clean. Kinda counterproductive.

I wonder if a ground loop eliminator will help you?

I wonder if a ground loop eliminator will help you?
Probably. My Strats and Teles are mostly pretty quiet, but by no means silent. I'm going to look at some of those and see if anything jumps out at me. I currently have The White Strat of Chimey Goodness disassembled and might try shielding the cavities too.

Noise Clamp/Loop update.

Downside:

Are the singles noisy if you play directly into the amp? Or only when the pedalboard is in the path?

Noisy is an overstatement. There's the typical hum you'd get from the average Strat. It's not bad, but it's one of those things you get a noise gate for in the first place. Just a little bitching on my part. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could put my BOSS NS-2 on there just for the clean tones. I have space for it, but that seems really silly.

Noisy is an overstatement. There's the typical hum you'd get from the average Strat. It's not bad, but it's one of those things you get a noise gate for in the first place. Just a little bitching on my part. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could put my BOSS NS-2 on there just for the clean tones. I have space for it, but that seems really silly.

I would definitely shield it why you have it apart. Also maybe take a look at this:

Reactions: OGG
I would definitely shield it why you have it apart. Also maybe take a look at this:
That was a long video Walter. There's no doubt that power is an issue for me at home. I've found several outlets with open grounds, and there's been some wonky wiring I've already fixed. One of my highest priority home repair projects is to sort all of the outlets, fix any wiring issues, and install some GFIs. I'm also daisy chaining my pedalboard, so... yeah. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a real (isolated) power supply too. I think they misrepresented the daisy chain argument in that video though. Of course having two gigantic, fully digital pedals like that in a chain is gonna suck. That Big Sky alone would nearly max out a 1-spot with amperage draw. Duh.

That was a long video Walter. There's no doubt that power is an issue for me at home. I've found several outlets with open grounds, and there's been some wonky wiring I've already fixed. One of my highest priority home repair projects is to sort all of the outlets, fix any wiring issues, and install some GFIs. I'm also daisy chaining my pedalboard, so... yeah. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a real (isolated) power supply too. I think they misrepresented the daisy chain argument in that video though. Of course having two gigantic, fully digital pedals like that in a chain is gonna suck. That Big Sky alone would nearly max out a 1-spot with amperage draw. Duh.

A while ago, MF had some really cheap 9v wall warts, so I snagged a couple, I think the brand was Outlaw Effects. I also have a single 9v wall wart from D'Addario. I leave the D'Addario one and one of the cheapos plugged in so I can test a new pedal when I get it instead of ripping apart the board to find a spot. A few weeks ago, I got a dirt pedal and hooked it up with one of the wall warts. I didn't check to see which one it was, but the pedal was super noisy. Back in the box it went and I put it away. That pedal was from a brand I had never tried before, so chalked it up to maybe just a bad builder. Last week I got another pedal and hooked it up with the wall wart and it was super noisy. I have owned a ton of pedals from that builder and none have been that noisy. So I looked and sure enough, it was powered with the cheap wall wart. Hooked it up to the D'Addario, and it was silent. Pulled the other pedal out of the box, hooked it up to the D'Addario, silent. Some pedals the cheapo wall wart works with fine, but for some reason, it didn't with these 2 pedals. Moral of the story, power supplies can make a huge difference but sometimes the cheapos can work.

Back