Yamaha purchases Line 6

The aren't any for Android, at least there hasn't been. The setup of the OS has a little too much lag for real time audio processing.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8681 using Tapatalk
 
The aren't any for Android, at least there hasn't been. The setup of the OS has a little too much lag for real time audio processing.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8681 using Tapatalk
That's because Android and iOS handle audio differently, but that's changing with the next version of Android. We're going to see a bunch of devices with micro USB connectors for audio into Android devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
 
Even during airplane mode, your phone is still transmitting data, so if you have it sitting on your amp head you'll get noise.

Me personally, I'll stick with my Pod.

However, that being said, I have heard some decent sounds if you're just wanting to play over headphones or computer. The old Jamlab was pretty good, but mine stopped working. I wouldn't mind a recommendation on a decent, inexpensive app and interface for Android. Or fuck it, maybe I'll just buy an old Rockman.

You wouldn't want it on your amp. You want it on a stand to control parameters from the interface when necessary, and via foot controller. Turning off the wireless network also mitigates those noise issues.
 
I've had some good luck getting sounds out of Amplitube and Ampkit on iOS, running into an iLoud speaker.

That said, this is for light jams and the like and haven't tried to get above a drummer on it.

I am thinking of trying something like an Apogee Duet to use one of the outputs to go a PA. I've never liked the sound going to my amp from the headphone port.
 
Yeaaaahhhhhh I'm gonna hafta go ahead and call bullshit on the notion that an iPhone app sounds "just as good".

I agree, but only "for now".
The thing is that there's more money in making better and faster smartphone chips than there would be for specialized audio dies.
Picture where your smartphone will be in 5 years and see if L6 has the capital to compete against that. I don't think they had the depth of funds for the fight.

That whole thing bout the thread getting derailed is crazy. It's all fun and games man.
Chill out.
 
I agree, but only "for now".
The thing is that there's more money in making better and faster smartphone chips than there would be for specialized audio dies.
Picture where your smartphone will be in 5 years and see if L6 has the capital to compete against that. I don't think they had the depth of funds for the fight.

That whole thing bout the thread getting derailed is crazy. It's all fun and games man.
Chill out.


Time will tell.

Fwiw, I was always "chill". The post you quoted was entirely in the vein of the boss from "office space". I am still completely blown away by the fact that it incurred such a vile response. Apparently I fail at opinions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4
 
Time will tell.

Fwiw, I was always "chill". The post you quoted was entirely in the vein of the boss from "office space". I am still completely blown away by the fact that it incurred such a vile response. Apparently I fail at opinions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4


I figured you were doing fine.
It's the other one who lost his cool. I'm hoping it was a bad day and is now over.
 
I can only speak for myself on this but, as good and fast as the hardware for tablets gets, there is something to be said for a user interface that is designed specifically for one thing. I've experimented with some of the software-based modelling but there is something more gratifying about being able to twist that knob and have the delay feedback change or the distortion pull back.

I tend to want my musical equipment to be just musical equipment -- not also check email, play Angry Birds, etc. When I'm on a computer, there's too much temptation to respond to that email from work or check the latest funny pic on MWGF. It's hard to stay in music mode.

Honestly, that press release doesn't give me much clue what Yamaha's plans are for Line 6. I know very little about Yamaha's philosophy -- I just know I respect their products.

As consumers, we hope they combine the best of their respective strengths -- killer Line 6 electronics with Yamaha's superior instrument quality. I'm not necessarily counting on that kind of synergy. It's possible this goes more like Korg. There is almost nothing that gives someone an indication that their synthesizer and Marshall amp were made by the same company. Likewise, Line 6 and Yamaha might operate largely independently but leverage a common distribution network. That might be a real improvement but it would be subtle.

It's also possible that Yamaha completely cannibalizes Line 6's technology and puts it in a few Yamaha-branded gadgets. In this move, they possibly improve their own products while eliminating the big dog in the marketplace. Look what Fender has done to almost every guitar company they've touched.

It will be interesting to watch.
 
Back
Top