The only guitar I take the strap off to put in the case is my Guild since it's a big strap and a tight case....everything else goes in the case just fine with the strap on it...
I like my strap locks. I have Dunlops, but bet Schallers would be fine too. My strat does not fit in its case with the strap connected on the horn, so I like to be able to unhook it easily. I have used the plastic thing from bread bags on one guitar, and was going to get some Grolsch one of these days to use the red beer bottle washer for another. But that is not as convenient for taking straps off though. I have dropped a cheap acoustic without, and had another guitar that liked to pop its strap, and I just got lucky and caught it each time before I put locks on. And no, I don't do guitar gymnastics either.
I found some washers that fit over the first part of the button (the inside), but the big part of the button (the outside of it) is too big for the washer to slip over it. The button still screws all the way into the guitar and there is no way the strap can get past the washer.
Total cost: $0 - I found the washers in my garage. And it fits in the case with the strap on!
---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------
I found some washers that fit over the first part of the button (the inside), but the big part of the button (the outside of it) is too big for the washer to slip over it. The button still screws all the way into the guitar and there is no way the strap can get past the washer.
Total cost: $0 - I found the washers in my garage. And it fits in the case with the strap on!
My guitars all go in their cases with straps attached. Sometimes I have to stand on them to get them seated, but it's worth it, not taking off the strap.
The strap button on my new LP are really small. The strap came off at the neck 3 times and it came off the back once. While I was sitting down. This was on the first DAY I had it. I have never had the strap fall off my Tele though, and its a total bitch to get the strap off the Tele at all...I think it has more to do with how your strap and button fit together...its not all about jumping around (which I dont do either).
I'm still using the original P.A.F. Straplocks I bought in 1970. Every couple of years I steel wool them and oil them a little, and everything is still nice. They work the best with seat belt material from cars, loose and fast. That's if you're swinging your guitar around over your head, tossing it at the dance floor or doing hula-hoops around your neck. It was severe neck rash that made me switch from leather straps.
Between small strap holders and those glued mahogany headstocks, Gibson sure knows how to build a repair job.
Never had locks, but the only time my strap ever falls off is when I'm sitting down. As long as there's weight hanging on the strap, I've never had a problem.
Oh, I did lose it once while jumping along with a ska beat, but I caught the butt end of the guitar with my elbow/forearm and kept on playin'