Strap locks?

cfgsteak

Kick Henry Jackassowski
My LP has really tiny strap buttons...I think it would be a good idea to get some strap locks...suggestions?
 
I've got several sets of Schallers and a few sets of Dunlops.

Both work well, neither has ever failed me.

I prefer the Schallers, though they are tough to get on really thick straps because the threaded part that goes through the strap isn't very long...needs another few threads on it to make getting the nut started easier. You also have to really crank the nut down or it will back loose. I generally hold the horseshoe shaped side with a pair of pliers while I crank the nut down with a ratchet or box end wrench.
 
Hate'em hate'em hate'em.


Clunkly squeaky neanderthallic devices added to an otherwise musical instrument. It's no wonder that Eddie Van halen used eyebolts and hooks to attach his straps.




But I also hate the strap popping off.



So I use large oversized buttons just like PRS does.... they're basically Fender Bass String Retainers. Wiiiiide. Flat. Won't poke your eyes out, squeak or accidentally pop open when a ball bearing or tiny ear-clip pops open. Throw away the tiny screw inside and run your existing strap button screw through the middle. You slide the strap across the button, it stretches a bit, flips around and VOOMP. Your arm will fall off before the strap does.

bassguitarpartsdirecte90.jpg.jpg


Oh yeah... and they're less than $3 each... compared to the 15 or 20 for straplocks. :helper:
 
Hate'em hate'em hate'em.


Clunkly squeaky neanderthallic devices added to an otherwise musical instrument. It's no wonder that Eddie Van halen used eyebolts and hooks to attach his straps.




But I also hate the strap popping off.



So I use large oversized buttons just like PRS does.... they're basically Fender Bass String Retainers. Wiiiiide. Flat. Won't poke your eyes out, squeak or accidentally pop open when a ball bearing or tiny ear-clip pops open. Throw away the tiny screw inside and run your existing strap button screw through the middle. You slide the strap across the button, it stretches a bit, flips around and VOOMP. Your arm will fall off before the strap does.

bassguitarpartsdirecte90.jpg.jpg


Oh yeah... and they're less than $3 each... compared to the 15 or 20 for straplocks. :helper:


That was the one thing I hated about my PRS, was those stupid strap buttons. I couldn't even get a strap onto the button without cutting the hole in the strap bigger. :mad: It got some Dunlops soon after I got it.

And Schallers don't have ball bearings or spring clips to pop out. Plus, they don't squeak. I've had Dunlops that squeak, but a drop of 3-in-1 oil every now and then clears it right up.
 
My LP has really tiny strap buttons...I think it would be a good idea to get some strap locks...suggestions?

I use strap locks on my Les Pauls. On the rest of my guitars I use "ghetto" strap locks. I remove the original screw and strap button, put some wood glue on the small end of a chop stick, break it off in the hole and reattach the strap with a longer screw and a washer. Works for me.
 
:lol: i think this is the one issue baimun and i have always agreed on.

Sooner or later you two HAD to agree on something. :grin:

As for myself, I have no use for strap locks.
Never had a guitar fall down with a regular strap. :wink:

Of course, I don't do the Yngwie throw-the-guitar-around-yourself-routine. :embarrassed:
 
Sooner or later you two HAD to agree on something. :grin:

As for myself, I have no use for strap locks.
Never had a guitar fall down with a regular strap. :wink:

Of course, I don't do the Yngwie throw-the-guitar-around-yourself-routine. :embarrassed:

You're worried about using an Xaviere live because of potential equipment failure and issues but you don't use straplocks? :messedup::confused:
 
Sooner or later you two HAD to agree on something. :grin:

As for myself, I have no use for strap locks.
Never had a guitar fall down with a regular strap. :wink:

Of course, I don't do the Yngwie throw-the-guitar-around-yourself-routine. :embarrassed:

i don't do that shit either. still i've had guitars almost hit the floor due to regular strap pins, so i use them.

the only guitar that doesn't have anything is my Ric. it came with Schaller strap pins, but not the part that goes on the strap itself. i'm rectifying that either today or tomorrow. i got a letter in the mail that says i have a complimentary $20 gift card waiting for me at my local GC. so i'm bringing the letter with me and getting free Schaller straplocks. with the pins that Ric uses, it's all one piece instead of having the pin with a separate screw. so if i remove them, i'll likely crack the finish. i don't want to do that, and free is good.
 
I suppose I've had a good combination of luck and good straps. :embarrassed:
That said, I always retire straps when the holes start getting loose, that may have something to do with it. :)
 
Back
Top