Just a note about why I will no longer be posting my lessons on Harmony Central

This is just :facepalm:..yes, rules are rules, but c'mon!...the timing stinks.

The way I feel right now, HC can fuck right off.
 
I don't see how it could have been Strings since he doesn't seem to have been on either HC site in the past few days. Then again, it's a pretty big assumption that either HC site is correctly displaying the "last activity" time.

That said, I really don't think Strings ever had a problem with Mark posting his lessons. None of the mods did that I know of. :shrug:

I've been cool with all of the GJ and Lesson Loft mods...I think if there was a problem they would have said something to me a long time ago. Electric Guitars is someplace that I've only been posting regularly for the last few months so I barely know the moderators there but I haven't had any problems with them, either...
 
From my time in the trenches in the brain of a massive retail behemoth, this new found appreciation for the letter of the law at HC makes sense.

HC is in the traffic-generating and ad-selling business. So is Mark.
Mark harbors a community that is pretty openly smug about its contempt for HC.
HC has eggy face related to their 2.0 debacle.
HC is *trying* to recover some of it's pre-2.0 position and therefore needs to squish the tiny -- yet annoying -- competition so that it can rebuild.

HC is trying to re-establish the integrity of their brand. Mark was probably tolerable when times were "good." Now that there's a "challenge" to be dealt with, it's a good time to reassess priorities and reinforce the rules. They can't go around banning everyone at the moment -- they need users. But they can draw a hard line w/r/t who advertises on HC and what they pay for that ad space. How can you get the Chicago version of Mark Wein to PAY for ad space when Mark is getting free advertisement? You gotta make it exclusive to make it profitable.

Mark's a good guy and all, but from a business perspective NOW is the time to cut off the semi-spam faucet. HC can afford to tick off a few Weiners because the Weiners already said they were "done" with HC.
 
Mark's a good guy and all, but from a business perspective NOW is the time to cut off the semi-spam faucet. HC can afford to tick off a few Weiners because the Weiners already said they were "done" with HC.


But WE'RE NOT DONE WITH THE WIENERS YET!!!!............. wait... that sounds all kinds of wrong... :messedup: :facepalm:
 
From my time in the trenches in the brain of a massive retail behemoth, this new found appreciation for the letter of the law at HC makes sense.

HC is in the traffic-generating and ad-selling business. So is Mark.
Mark harbors a community that is pretty openly smug about its contempt for HC.
HC has eggy face related to their 2.0 debacle.
HC is *trying* to recover some of it's pre-2.0 position and therefore needs to squish the tiny -- yet annoying -- competition so that it can rebuild.

HC is trying to re-establish the integrity of their brand. Mark was probably tolerable when times were "good." Now that there's a "challenge" to be dealt with, it's a good time to reassess priorities and reinforce the rules. They can't go around banning everyone at the moment -- they need users. But they can draw a hard line w/r/t who advertises on HC and what they pay for that ad space. How can you get the Chicago version of Mark Wein to PAY for ad space when Mark is getting free advertisement? You gotta make it exclusive to make it profitable.

Mark's a good guy and all, but from a business perspective NOW is the time to cut off the semi-spam faucet. HC can afford to tick off a few Weiners because the Weiners already said they were "done" with HC.

Story checks out. :embarrassed:

I have a hard time believing that I'm (or can be perceived as) any kind of actual threat to HC, though. I can see the advertising revenue angle....
 
Ultimately rules are rules. I have rules here and they have rules there and if you want to participate in something that is essentially a free forum with a "Terms of Service" or something like that you're supposed to abide by the rules. Unfortunately it seems like some rules are only enforced over there when it's convenient.

This. If they had said this years ago, I would have said "shitty move" and moved on, but as it stands it is pretty obvious that are only doing it because they cant afford to lose any more traffic and they (correctly) perceive this forum as real competition. Nevermind the fact that Mark's posts over there were valuable resources to the actual guitar players there.
 
Story checks out. :embarrassed:

I have a hard time believing that I'm (or can be perceived as) any kind of actual threat to HC, though. I can see the advertising revenue angle....

You ARE a threat to them, but only because of their own short-sighted changeover to 2.0.
 
By "cord ties" do you mean cable wraps, or do you mean corduroy neckties? 'Cause if it's the latter, y'know, paging Crab_Cake.

Cable Wraps

51KQGF0RvLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 
Sorry. This ticks me off. I have been at HC since the late-mid 90's, in one form or another. It makes me disgusted.
 
That's appalling and it's quite obvious it's someone (either a mod, or a suit) that's got a sandy vag. I wasn't planning on trying to have my account sorted out since they rolled back but this sort of dickhead move has convinced me that this is a much nicer and useful forum to be on than HC.
 
i really don't know what to say. you're providing content to their site and offering a free service. people who sell "hard goods" are mostly not selling through GC/MF and are only diverting traffic to their own sites for profit.

i played a bit yesterday in GJ, but it's painfully obvious that the site is in the wrong hands and not worth using again.
 
Kerouac should make his proclamation on HC 2.0 also. Double the forum, double the pleasure.
 
Does this mean we can't link to news stories any more too?

I'll gladly post links to your lessons over there Mark.
 
Just heard about this now, Mark; I had no idea any of this was going on.

I'm going to ask about it in the HC Office, I don't see how your posting free lessons should be any different than anyone else posting free lessons.
 
Just heard about this now, Mark; I had no idea any of this was going on.

I'm going to ask about it in the HC Office, I don't see how your posting free lessons should be any different than anyone else posting free lessons.

Because other people's free lessons don't provide a refuge from when HC shits the bed.

HC has gone Gibson... selling the lifestyle and image rather than the content.
 
Back
Top