Any great SMALL high gain combos?

Chihlidog

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I dont know a whole lot about what's out there lately. Assuming I go ahead and sell the 5150, what might interest me for use around the house?
 
I wish I could help, but I can't. I don't know much about what's out there in either the high gain, or the super low wattage arena. I know that most of the under 5 watt amps are non-master volume and low gain, though I think that a few of the newer ones are starting to get into the channel switching thing now too.

I've heard great things about these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...eries-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

I've never actually heard one though, so I don't know how gainy it can get.
 
I wish I could help, but I can't. I don't know much about what's out there in either the high gain, or the super low wattage arena. I know that most of the under 5 watt amps are non-master volume and low gain, though I think that a few of the newer ones are starting to get into the channel switching thing now too.

I've heard great things about these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...eries-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

I've never actually heard one though, so I don't know how gainy it can get.

Interesting. I may have to try and find one of these to play through.
 
there are plenty of Mesa Boogie amps out there that fit the bill. the ones in production right now are the Express 5:25 or 5:50. here are some worthy predecessors:

Subway Rocket
DC-2, 3, Studio Caliber
F-30

there's also the Soldano Astroverb.
 
there are plenty of Mesa Boogie amps out there that fit the bill. the ones in production right now are the Express 5:25 or 5:50. here are some worthy predecessors:

Subway Rocket
DC-2, 3, Studio Caliber
F-30

there's also the Soldano Astroverb.

WOW!!!!! I always knew Mesas were pricey but these combos are worth more than I could sell my half stack for! :HB: Thanks for the heads up on them, I never really knew which mesa combos were the high gain ones. I will keep an eye out for some used ones.
 
SHEESH! I'm in over my head on this one! I figured I'd be able to sell the 5150, get a smaller, great sounding tube combo and still have a few bucks left over. I'm browsing through tube combos and it seems like they're ALL more than I could sell my 5150 for! :facepalm:
 
I didnt think combos would be over a grand. Sheesh. I figured for the 5150 just from looking on ebay I would get anywhere from 700 to 850.

just because an amp is combo doesn't mean its inexpensive. ask Mark what he paid for his Top Hat.

also, you should definitely be looking at the used market. you're selling an amp, why pay new prices?
 
just because an amp is combo doesn't mean its inexpensive. ask Mark what he paid for his Top Hat.

also, you should definitely be looking at the used market. you're selling an amp, why pay new prices?

Yeah, I looked around used, but was going through new ones to get an idea of what was out there. I looked at H&K, Mesa Boogie, Fender, and Peavey and all but the Peaveys are just shockingly expensive. I would love to have some sort of Mesa Boogie because they always seem to just get fantastic tone.
 
here Chihli, get this:

ministack.jpg
 
Howie, thanks for the first 2 links. Very interesting. Is that a Marshall Mini Stack? :embarrassed: Edit: never mind, I see exactly what it is. I think I will pass :embarrassed:
 
Last edited:
just because an amp is combo doesn't mean its inexpensive. ask Mark what he paid for his Top Hat.

also, you should definitely be looking at the used market. you're selling an amp, why pay new prices?

I paid $1500 for a 5 year old 35 watt 2x12 combo amp. New they were $2800, I think.

You also don't need a channel switching amp to sound metulz. This is my 22 watt deluxe reverb on 1.5 with a few pedals...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhfz11vTYsI"]YouTube - Bad amp demo[/ame]
 
You also don't need a channel switching amp to sound metulz.

exactly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW12PGG2LsY"]YouTube - Tube Zone quickie[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWu8tOeDy1I"]YouTube - Zvex BOX OF METAL guitar effects pedal shootout USA Vexter vs Handpainted Version[/ame]
 
That MI audio tube zone rules in the top clip...the Zvex stuff I didn't enjoy as much....

honestly, the Tube Zone is the best dirt pedal i've ever used. the high gain tone is excellent, but so are the lower gain settings. for as much as i love the Mojo Hand Mule, if i could only have one distortion pedal, it'd be the Tube Zone.
 
I'm not sure its a sound I would use very much but that demo is awesome. As you pointed out most o my tones are TS9 based and it would be fun to have teh Metulz. That and a Stonebender would probably complete my pedalboard.

My LTD died last week (I haven't had the time to figure out what the problem is but it lights up and passes no audio) and I didn't miss it very much on my gig Saturday so maybe thatll open up a spot for something fun :embarrassed:
 
Back
Top