Achtung! The September Punk Recordingfest REVEAL!!!

Oh, I need to give Peeker credit for the bass line and background vocals on mine... It's not very punk, either, but hey, I had fun!
 
I haven't been able to hear one song all the way through yet. :mad:

Stupid job.
 
Kerouac - Dang! This might be the best I've heard from you. So tight, great vocal performance, really nice. My only gripe would be that the vocals aren't sitting quite right in the mix, but that's nitpicky.
Johnny N - I like the acoustic vibe, but I can barely hear it. I've got my speakers all the way up, and I'm still straining to hear.
noquarter1983 - Killer harmonies! Cool medley.
Phil513 - Nice job! Vocals are just right.
paulskirocks - I don't think ever dreamed I would hear Candy Man done like that. :thu: "Makes the world taste fuckin' good!" :grin:
Peeker
  • Rock This Town - Love it!
  • Chinese Rock - I hadn't heard the original before, but this definitely rocks.
  • March or Die - Again, hadn't heard the original until I checked it on YouTube just now, but I think I like yours better.
Wilmer X - Trippy!
Prages
  • Three Small Words - Mrs. P should front a band. Dude00
  • Sedated - Possibly my favorite Ramones tune. Dug it!
  • Pepper - Way cool!
Knox in Box - Another one I don't know. Nice job, though.
aliensporebomb - Whoa! Wasn't expecting that change in the middle. Nice!
 
Prages
  • Three Small Words - Mrs. P should front a band. Dude00
  • Sedated - Possibly my favorite Ramones tune. Dug it!
  • Pepper - Way cool!

I had a lot of fun, I had a lot of trouble with the words though, apparently when I sing, I really am Asian, because I kept singing Ace High Royal Frush and Orange Coosh :grin:

I can't tell you how many times Greg had to go back again so I could get it right.
 
I just went with my first and only vocal take, which was supposed to be a scratch track... I know I would have just gotten worse each pass, or at least that's how I justify my laziness to try again... Plus, it's punk...
 
Skyscaper LIB medley: I almost did an acoustic Bad Religion song myself. Pretty cool and great job on it all around.

Buffy's Dead: Man how I miss the old days when people would submit live tracks to these things. Boy, you guys are great. Nothing to say really, other than thanks.
Chinese Rock: Wow!! really good. You should bring out an album or something. Wait, What?

Punk Coverfest: (?) Well, sounds pretty good instrumental wise, I don't know what song this should be though. At any rate, a nice job on everything.

Modavian Days: As always great production on everything. Thanks for your explanation it helps me see what you're getting at. I love your strat sound.

Three Small Words: Don't know the original, but won't hurry to look it up (that's a compliment) Your cover is good enough for me. You do have a good voice.
Sedated: always a good time and your version is no exception as expected.
Pepper: Don't know the original again. But still a great job as usual.

Slack Motherfucker: I always wanted to do this song as firehose did it. I had the music halfway done and started the vocals and realized that my kids were paying way too much attention to dad yelling around back in the bedroom. So I set the tempo down to 150bpm and started recording it acoustically to find that my kids didn't pay attention anymore. I figured I've shown in the past that I can play rock so....
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/229/Slack Motherfucker (acoustic mix).mp3
Here is also a version with all the other stuff left out, straight acoustic if you will. I think I may actually like it better a bit.

Trapper Keeper: Don't know the original. I guess I'll have to look it up. Whoa!!! Holy breakdown! I literally :grin:
 
I downloaded all of the downloadable ones and will listen to them on my way to work. I can't listen to the Flash based ones on this computer, so I'll give those a shot later.

Thanks for everyone who said nice things about mine. I did have a hard time getting the vocal to blend, but part of it was my voice just isn't right for the material. The rest of it I was really happy with though!
 
Looking fwd to hearing these, my work computer is ancient and crashes a lot. Andy-- liked the contrast between the clean guitar line and the crunchy rhythm track. Johnny, as you know, it was difficult to hear. The old schooler in me would quibble with an acoustic take of a Pearl Jam song as being punk, unless you really fucked with the original. But that's me, it's not you, it's me.

:wink:
 
No quarter-- liked this a lot. The vox were appropriately snotty (the backing harmonies were sweet), and I've always liked the concept of sticking together 2 disparate songs.
 
Phil-- this is a fave song of mine, so you had a leg up. I like how you used a different guitar tone (modeling amp/pedal?) on the guitar leads as they came up. A quibble-- sometimes the ends of those guitar punch-ins seemed a bit abrupt or clipped. I like to let the note decay naturally after the actual end of the part.
 
Phil-- this is a fave song of mine, so you had a leg up. I like how you used a different guitar tone (modeling amp/pedal?) on the guitar leads as they came up. A quibble-- sometimes the ends of those guitar punch-ins seemed a bit abrupt or clipped. I like to let the note decay naturally after the actual end of the part.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, my software has Line 6 stuff built into it, so i just have to click around and find a sound i like. Thanks for the advice on the solos, i'll remember that. I probably just clipped them off.
 
Kerouac : very interesting

Johnny N: sitt'n on a porch with beer type of song
:) nice

noquarter1983: nicely played
 
Looking fwd to hearing these, my work computer is ancient and crashes a lot. Andy-- liked the contrast between the clean guitar line and the crunchy rhythm track. Johnny, as you know, it was difficult to hear. The old schooler in me would quibble with an acoustic take of a Pearl Jam song as being punk, unless you really fucked with the original. But that's me, it's not you, it's me.

:wink:


Yeah, I might try and see if I can fix that up right quick tonight. And I wasnt necessarily following the punk guideline. That just happened to be the song I was learning and figured acoustic grunge was a distant cousin to punk.
 
Back
Top