The Partscaster thread...

cYanmPn.gif

There are a crap-ton of desirable guitars in this thread.
 
I want to build one so it's mine.
A personal thing. I built it,put thought into what I want from the guitar...

It just isn't financially in the books now.

I do have expensive tastes.
 
I want to build one so it's mine.
A personal thing. I built it,put thought into what I want from the guitar...

It just isn't financially in the books now.

I do have expensive tastes.

I'm down to 3 guitars now. One @telecaster911 built me, another, he built the body and I finished it with a Warmoth neck and the third is one I assembled from Warmoth parts. I think the McFeely is the longest I've held on to a guitar in the 30 or so years I've been playing and the other 2 aren't likely going to go anywhere. There is something about putting them together yourself that is awesome, once you know what you really like. I've probably got one more Warmoth build in me, then I am done.
 
I'm down to 3 guitars now. One @telecaster911 built me, another, he built the body and I finished it with a Warmoth neck and the third is one I assembled from Warmoth parts. I think the McFeely is the longest I've held on to a guitar in the 30 or so years I've been playing and the other 2 aren't likely going to go anywhere. There is something about putting them together yourself that is awesome, once you know what you really like. I've probably got one more Warmoth build in me, then I am done.
I have 2 inexpensive guitars,an Epi 339Pro and my @gile LP copy.
The Tele build will be what you said Awesome and mine.

$ is the problem, but a bit here a bit there every month and I can do it.
 
I have 2 inexpensive guitars,an Epi 339Pro and my @gile LP copy.
The Tele build will be what you said Awesome and mine.

$ is the problem, but a bit here a bit there every month and I can do it.

My uncle has the Epi 339 pro. That's a pretty good inexpensive guitar. He flips guitars left and right and I told him if he ever sells it to call me first.
 
My uncle has the Epi 339 pro. That's a pretty good inexpensive guitar. He flips guitars left and right and I told him if he ever sells it to call me first.
I got my 339Pro used from a local gigging musician. It is spotless ,and the most fun guitar I have played in years. It is just so much of a good strummer.
 
I got my 339Pro used from a local gigging musician. It is spotless ,and the most fun guitar I have played in years. It is just so much of a good strummer.

I want to borrow it from him at some point to play it through my rig. He has some tiny little solid state Kustom amp, that it sounds decent through, but I want to hear it through a good amp.
 
This one is my fav. Allparts TMO fat neck in nitro, Shellacked Pawlonia body, Bill n Becky L45s and L48TL pickups. Hardware is just standard aftermarket stuff.
IMG_1197.JPG


This ones an Allparts neck I got from Modern Saint, a hardtail Squier body, and Dragonfire pickups.
IMG_0120.JPG

This is a GFS neck and pickup, cheap pine body off eBay. Bins white finish. It needs some nut work but I'm too cheap to buy files. Did the best I could with welding tips. I don't care much for the pickup either.
IMG_0769.JPG
 
Not sure how many times I can post "The Black Strat of Doom" before officially becoming a whore (probably too late already), but here goes:

This guitar started life as an Affinity Series Squier "Black and Chrome Special Edition" Fat Strat that I bought new in 2008 for $129 at GC. Even bone stock it was a decent enough guitar, and it certainly looked cool with the chrome pick guard and large, "70s Style" headstock that was also painted black with silver script.

I decided to make a "real" guitar out of it. The plan was to upgrade EVERYTHING but the wood itself. Since it had a few minor finish flaws, and because I had to fill in and re-drill post holes for the Wilkinson bridge, I "started" down the road of of re-finishing the body. As I began to sand, it took on a relic look that I actually really liked, so I ran with it... painting the back of the neck black as well as sanding and reshooting the front side of the headstock, before roughing it all up.

In went a MightyMite H/S/S loaded pick guard, on went all new black hardware including the Wilkinson, locking tuners, strap locks, back, neck and jack plates, roller string trees and a MightyMite Roller Nut.

Eventually the H/S/S set up was swapped for a (Also MightyMite) S/S/S loaded unit.

It's a beast, weighs a bloody ton, looks (to me anyway) cool as fuck, and plays/sounds amazing. The only issue I've had since putting in the Roller Nut (exactly per the instructions), was for some reason always chasing either the intonation or tuning stability. On a whim just last week, I started thinking about Scale Length. For shits and giggles I grabbed a tape measure and was SHOCKED to discover there was an actual scale length at that time of anywhere between 26.25" and 26.75" depending on the string and how the saddle was adjusted. Holy shitballs Batman! Ding ding ding! Well there's yer problem.

Many adjustments were made... no surprise, it's MUCH better now.



089adfec7ec4ed0ae27de0ded0de7b82.jpg
5b48a94c94f846ba59cc0c4cd4ce9ecd.jpg
f27f84f0a788bd2c0f5d072f473d9d6a.jpg
eaafcd1c3c755315cb852d951385026b.jpg
1aca28b5851cf30c8fd88acaef097e1f.jpg
7c0dd76b9f472f5c649a8d7841d8d894.jpg
c1899a5e8921b8b301af47418b94ff81.jpg
 
I am gassing to do a build thanks to this thread,you bastards!:shrug:

So Mighty Mite and All Parts are worth looking into for a build?

I still want a Warmoth body,

I am gonna go with Callaham compensated 3 barrel bridge.
Switchcraft jack work.

Electronic wise is up in the air. A 4 way switch,CTS Pots are what I have in mind.I know I want BG pups to start. I will have to talk to Brian to see what he can do. I want a hot bridge for the rock,but I the neck pup has to have a traditional Tele neck pup sound.

Is this a decent build plan?
 
I am gassing to do a build thanks to this thread,you bastards!:shrug:

So Mighty Mite and All Parts are worth looking into for a build?

I still want a Warmoth body,

I am gonna go with Callaham compensated 3 barrel bridge.
Switchcraft jack work.

Electronic wise is up in the air. A 4 way switch,CTS Pots are what I have in mind.I know I want BG pups to start. I will have to talk to Brian to see what he can do. I want a hot bridge for the rock,but I the neck pup has to have a traditional Tele neck pup sound.

Is this a decent build plan?
In my opinion you have it backwards...the All parts and MM bodies are fine but for the neck it's Warmoth all day...
 
That's why I asked.

Thanks.
As far as hardware, you have some good stuff, but definitely use an electrosocket for the jack...the traditional Tele jack setup sucks, and rips out of the body easily...the electrosocket is just a few dollars more and screws firmly to the body...

I have used the Allparts version...

https://www.allparts.com/AP-5270-010-Chrome-Retrofit-Jackplate_p_5045.html

...with the standard Switchcraft jack...

https://www.allparts.com/EP-0055-000-Switchcraft-11-14-Input-Jack_p_1216.html

Or just use the socket and their 4 way kit...

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4131-000-Wiring-Kit-for-Telecaster-4-Way-Switch_p_1369.html

...which is the way I would go...
 
In my opinion you have it backwards...the All parts and MM bodies are fine but for the neck it's Warmoth all day...
I've done it his way and been happy. AllParts necks are as good as Warmoth. You just don't have the selection of options.

My red Tele is a Warmoth body and AllParts TMO-V. The walnut brown hardtail Strat is a Warmoth body with an AllParts LMO neck. The orange Strat is an AllParts body and Mighty Mite neck.
 
This is my conundrum. There are so many options. What to spend my cash on and get a good player out of it.

I have only assembled 1 guitar,a Carvin kit. To be honest it was an awesome player.

I guess I will have to build a few and see what works for me.
I appreciate the advuce youse guys have given.

:thu:
 
I know that when I assembled my first guitar many years ago, there was a bunch of internet talk about All Parts being hit or miss and Mighty Might being a total crap shoot. That has been well over 10 years ago and both companies are still going strong so either the internet was wrong (I know shocker) or they have tightened up. I've never used either for bodies or neck so I have no first hand experience. I have used Warmoth at least 5 times and every time it has been top notch gear. If I had to guess, I'd say any of those 3 companies would work, but I can say for certain the Warmoth stuff will be great.

One thing you can do if you aren't in a hurry, is keep you eye on the Warmoth screaming deals. I wasn't planning on building it until I stumbled across the body in the screaming deals. It was painted black and $185. That was too good to pass up because I always wanted to do a 7/8 tele.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DFB
Back
Top