Let's talk about Uber

wagdog

Ack
I'm a little behind the power curve when it comes to new stuff. Partly because of where I live and partly because I appreciate a simple life - I got my first phone last year. Having traveled and flown a lot when I was younger, I avoid it now. I'm not technological hermit, I've written apps and computer games for years . I'm not the subject of this post though. :)

My wife and I have been traveling since last week. We were in the sf bay area, san diego, as well as the desert and las vegas. We're in Denver right now for a wedding (tomorrow).

Uber is everywhere. I think it's frickin' awesome. The app is awesome, the implementation is awesome, it's really a great idea. The drivers we spoke to have been friendly. Some of them explained how the system worked and how it worked for them. Some of them have several jobs and grab a fare if they're going somewhere, or returning from somewhere (like work, shopping, etc...).

Being a programmer, I'm really impressed with the implementation and the use of constantly updated geographic information. My understanding is the entrenched taxicab industry is pissed about it, but there is nothing they can do.

Anyone else use uber? What are your thoughts on it?
 
LOVE it. We use it when we have ha a few too many,to and from the airport and when we travel to different cities and dont want to be bothered with renting a car
 
I've used it a couple of times. It works. Folks have issues with the corporate culture which seems to be very shady. We're going to try Lyft next time just to see.
 
I've used it a couple of times. It works. Folks have issues with the corporate culture which seems to be very shady. We're going to try Lyft next time just to see.
I did read a few less than glowing articles online about the uber corporation.

I also noticed a few drivers worked for both lyft and uber.

I think the implementation of the system is really incredible though (regardless of the company behind it). It's one of those disruptive technologies that leapfrogged an existing industry/product and made things better. I like how it leverages the mapping and GPS technology built-in to every current phone. I also like how drivers can clock in and out as they wish.

Back in the old days you would call for a cab and had to exchange cash. You also had no idea how much the fare was prior to riding. With uber you have options on cost, ride sharing, vehicle type and payment is handled electronically before you get in the car.
 
I did read a few less than glowing articles online about the uber corporation.

I also noticed a few drivers worked for both lyft and uber.

I think the implementation of the system is really incredible though (regardless of the company behind it). It's one of those disruptive technologies that leapfrogged an existing industry/product and made things better. I like how it leverages the mapping and GPS technology built-in to every current phone. I also like how drivers can clock in and out as they wish.

Back in the old days you would call for a cab and had to exchange cash. You also had no idea how much the fare was prior to riding. With uber you have options on cost, ride sharing, vehicle type and payment is handled electronically before you get in the car.
I also dug how you can watch the drivers progress to you on the GPS map in the app.
 
I've used it a couple of times. It works. Folks have issues with the corporate culture which seems to be very shady. We're going to try Lyft next time just to see.
Lyft is owned by GM, isn't it? I wonder if you have to have a GM vehicle to be able to drive for them?
 
I also dug how you can watch the drivers progress to you on the GPS map in the app.
Yeah, stuff like that. As a customer, that's a great feature. You also get the driver's phone # and can call if you have trouble meeting up (and vice-versa).

The whole thing leverages existing stuff in a way that makes sense.
 
Never used it. I don't really travel and I don't drink, so I've never needed to use one. when I was moonlighting at U-Haul a few months ago, a couple of they who I worked with drove for Uber and thought it was great.
 
I'll be flying in to DC in mid August as my gf's son is finishing his cross country bike ride from Cali. Since I don't want to rent a car, so for the first time I will use either Uber or Lyft. Leaning towards Lyft with all the bad publicity surrounding Uber as of late.
 
Tech lord assholes. Lyft is slightly less terrible in terms of their corporate politics and their treatment of drivers. (I drove for them briefly for kicks/research.). I use Lyft for similar rich people laziness services. However, I try to ride the bus whenever possible so that I don't contribute to YUPPIE SCUM TAKEOVER SYNDROME.

Also, everyone trying to be the "Uber of X" actively fucks up my worklife on a daily basis.
 
I love the idea, but there's so much wrong there. We all enjoy Uber when we need a ride, but it's like appreciating Mussolini for having the trains run on time.
There is a lot of bad publicity about uber, there is no denying that. I'm not defending them, however, drivers and customers are free to use/work other services. Not quite Mussolini.

I'm just really impressed with the implementation from a technical and systems design standpoint; it's ingenious. It leveraged existing and emerging technology in an almost obvious way and disrupted an entrenched industry. That's not good if you're a cab co, but this is how things change and (presumably) get better.
 
Lyft is owned by GM, isn't it? I wonder if you have to have a GM vehicle to be able to drive for them?
I drove for Lyft using a Dodge Grand Caravan.

All they cared about was the condition of the vehicle.
 
I use it all the time. My son first hipped (is that a word?) me to it on a trip up in San Francisco about 5 years ago. We have driven up there, but once you get a parking space on the street you never want to give it up.

I was going to switch to Lyft but realize that many of the Uber drivers are great people that are just trying to make a living. With all of the bad press I haven't had a ride with any driver who wasn't just a really nice person.
 
It's not cheaper than private taxis here and it appears the company are a big bag of wank, so I don't really care. However , pissing off racist, tax dodging black cab drivers makes them a good thing overall :)
 
Where I live they are discussing banning the 'gig economy' behind Uber's model. The country wants Uber corporate to withhold the Swiss social taxes from paychecks, as well as make the mandatory corporate retirement contributions to the employee's accounts. I think there is very little tolerance here for a company taking the retirement money that should go to workers as profits.

There is also a lot of talk about Uber and Swiss insurance regulations for commercial vehicles. Picking up a passenger in your car and taking them somewhere for money apparently becomes a business and requires different types of liability insurances with what is similar to a US 'bonded' type thing.

From my own experience, uber is better than US cab companies by a mile. Uber cars don't smell like tinkle, the drivers are friendly and speak English, and everything is clean. I can see why they are killing the cab business. In Switzerland the regular cabs are really nice, but more expensive than in the US. Uber is cheaper, but the quality of service isn't all that different.
 
Last edited:
I'll be flying in to DC in mid August as my gf's son is finishing his cross country bike ride from Cali. Since I don't want to rent a car, so for the first time I will use either Uber or Lyft. Leaning towards Lyft with all the bad publicity surrounding Uber as of late.

My cousin has done the cross country bike ride a few times. That seems nuts to me.
 
Back
Top