Joe Rogan's Spotify deal...does this change everything?

Deebo loves him some tech-bro corporate gig economy selling out. Apple. Amazon. Spotify. He’s Mr. Boomer in terms of screwing over the little guy for minor conveniences.
oh and speaking of 'tech bro" I fucking LOATHE Elon Musk and Tesla
 
Yep. Podcasts — especially glorified talk show format ‘casts — and YouTube talk shows/personality programs are where the culture is at the moment. Pop music is way far back in the line—and semi-popular and defiantly non-popular pop music doesn’t even rate. This kind of “content generation” is the present and near future of entertainment.

I mean, Spotify is somewhat important if you’re an aspiring new hip hop artist or someone looking to make a splash in contemporary young people pop or various electronic dance music subgenres...I guess. But mostly it matters if you can get yourself playlisted. And that simply isn’t in the cards for most rock/roots/punk/indie/blues/Americana/whatnot folks because no one is really playlisting that stuff in meaningful ways because you can just listen to the classic examples that match the pictures on the reliced tee shirts you bought from Target (or Nordstrom if yr sassy).

The economics of being a musician were never great. And well before COVID new bands were getting smaller (solos, duos, maybe trios) to better weather the harsh environment of touring and living without the benefit of record contracts/sales and the like. And now that the road isn’t a thing and won’t be for possibly years, shit...

So yeah, it makes all the sense in the world for Spotify and similar to lock up these relatively low production cost personalities when new musical content isn’t driving eyeballs and there’s not gonna be summer festival seasons to build hype and drive interest and there’s a finite amount of old classics for people to pour over and no one (other than @Help!I'maRock!) even pretends to give a shit about new music. And, like you said, it’s not like musicians are even in a position to negotiate.

Like art house cinema and a well made ice cream soda, pop music in the grand style of the late 20th century is a doomed thing destined to be mourned by people with the ill fortune to live long enough to meet the future.

The new Steve Earle record is really good. :embarrassed:
 
for 9 bucks a month you have access to almost anything you could ever wanna listen to...you are doing it wrong
Maybe it’s the devices that deliver the content. I can’t tolerate the quality of the sound for more than a few songs.

I’ve used
my pc with decent computer speakers
My Mac with studio monitors
Amazon echo Dots - built in speaker version as well as the older version with various external speakers and even a full on audio receiver

It all sucks.

It’s kind of like sat radio back when I had my long drives for work. I found I’d have a headache an hour or so into the drive. Flip over to terrestrial radio and it was like a balloon around my head popped. Instant relief.

Recently though, I’ve found terrestrial radio to be annoying. I only have a single sample to go on - the tabletop radio in the dining room - so, it may be just that radio. I don’t drive long enough to experience it in the truck.


Besides all of that, I just don’t listen to music that much.
I don’t play music while I’m working.
Most other times of the day, I’m doing things where it would be competing with other sounds like TV.

Most of the music I listen to is specific and active listening. Like the stuff that gets posted here or by other friends online; or live streams; or YouTube concerts. All of that is usually with earbuds and that helps a lot with the sound quality.
 
Maybe it’s the devices that deliver the content. I can’t tolerate the quality of the sound for more than a few songs.
Most of the music I listen to is specific and active listening. Like the stuff that gets posted here or by other friends online; or live streams; or YouTube concerts. All of that is usually with earbuds and that helps a lot with the sound quality.

That's kinda ironic considering the stuff you listen to is most likely streamed at a far lower bit rate than Spotify or whatever music service.
 
That's kinda ironic considering the stuff you listen to is most likely streamed at a far lower bit rate than Spotify or whatever music service.
I get that. I’m not really saying the quality is better, maybe it’s the focus and intent.
I think the earbuds make up for it. Or the isolation from other sounds.

I don’t know.
I can’t explain it any better.
There are some times when the mix of a YouTube or FB video annoys me enough that I’ll give up on it. Even if I like the music.

All I know is that I can’t wait to turn off the radio/smart speaker. I’m not being an audio snob. I truly find it irritating Again, even if I like the music.
 
I get that. I’m not really saying the quality is better, maybe it’s the focus and intent.
I think the earbuds make up for it. Or the isolation from other sounds.

I don’t know.
I can’t explain it any better.
There are some times when the mix of a YouTube or FB video annoys me enough that I’ll give up on it. Even if I like the music.

All I know is that I can’t wait to turn off the radio/smart speaker. I’m not being an audio snob. I truly find it irritating Again, even if I like the music.
It sounds (pun intended) like it's just kind of a hang up on your end., sub conciously speaking. You most likely are associating the perception of the 70's/80's/90's concept of "hi fidelity stereo" as the only worthwhile way. Think back to the time of handheld radios, juke boxes, music over an intercom, etc Either than or you are cursed with optimal ears and are one of those types who can decipher the sound quality. I do remember when mp3 first got going and it was like 128 and there was a clear difference but listening to a stream on a car stereo now days I hear no difference between a 320 or AAC and a cd.
TL?DR it could very well be a placebo effect from your sub concious perception/expectation of device/format delivery.
You should drop some LSD and make a playlist beforehand (like a 7 hour playlist ;o) on spotify and "reset" the sub conscious mind :cop:
 
It depends on the recording. I have hundreds of albums burned to a microSD card for my mp3 player, all at 320kbps.

Mostly there isn't much difference, but many recordings from the '80s & '90s there is a huge difference...sometime the bass has almost disappeared, sometimes it's certain drums/cymbals, etc.


I know cds are dying out, but I can't for the life of me figure out why, for example, a Mercedes S-Class has a stereo upgrade for like $8k-10k, yet no cd player. Then the vast majority of the purchasers of those cars are going to be listening to Spotify or Apple Play and be listening to 320kbps audio.

There aren't enough facepalms for that :facepalm:
 
Meh. Podcasts are mostly Just boring gibber jabber and these days I just make my own music for my own enjoyment. If I get nostalgic or wanna maybe hear or learn something outta my wheelhouse, I take a short trip to You Tube.
If I really want to just chill and listen to music, which is super rare, I still have a decent home stereo component system with a couple hundred lps and cds.
In the car, which I hardly spend any time in, esp now, I have Sirius, which has about 3 channels programmed. GD, Willie’s Roadhouse, and Springsteen for my wife. If current conditions persist much longer, I’m gonna let that go. Last fall I took the motorcycle from Alabama to Colorado and back and the only music I took with me was a ukulele. Didn’t miss a thing. I despise earbuds and the only time you can get me in a set of headphones is when required for recording.
As far as Rogan goes, he can do what he wants. Outta sight, outa mind. I’ll watch him on YouTube if he has a lefty guest like Bernie, or that ilk. I’ll admit to bingeing briefly on a few of his comics, but that gets old fast. Even if they crack you up the first time, repeated appearances quickly devolve into a big yawn.
 
Last edited:
I only listened to Joe Rogan on youtube when he had a guest I was interested in like Lance Armstrong or Alex Honnold. I didn't know anything about him outside of those few YouTube interviews I've seen and didn't know any of the stuff about him brought up on this forum. Nor do I care. And I don't listen to Spotify so it's all good.
 
I watched a JRE YouTube clip, not knowing what I was in for, about ancient civilizations,a pet topic of mine. Of course, it turned out to be some ancient aliens nonsense, and now the algorithm is feeding me all of his insecure machismo garbage, along with all of the "anti-censorship" comics who are just upset that college students don't think they're funny.
 
I didn't know Joe Rogan did anything after News Radio.

Yeah, he peaked very early in life as being the least talented cast-member of one of the all-time great sitcoms.

But most of his fame came from hosting Fear Factor and (perhaps more significantly) UFC fights.
 
It sounds (pun intended) like it's just kind of a hang up on your end., sub conciously speaking. You most likely are associating the perception of the 70's/80's/90's concept of "hi fidelity stereo" as the only worthwhile way. Think back to the time of handheld radios, juke boxes, music over an intercom, etc Either than or you are cursed with optimal ears and are one of those types who can decipher the sound quality. I do remember when mp3 first got going and it was like 128 and there was a clear difference but listening to a stream on a car stereo now days I hear no difference between a 320 or AAC and a cd.
TL?DR it could very well be a placebo effect from your sub concious perception/expectation of device/format delivery.
You should drop some LSD and make a playlist beforehand (like a 7 hour playlist ;o) on spotify and "reset" the sub conscious mind :cop:
I’d agree but I didn’t realize it was an issue until that sat radio incident where the effect was physical and immediate.

The crazy thing is I can listen to the same content on two different devices and one will make me irate and the other won’t.
Case in point: my wife has a local radio station streaming on the Google mini and I wanted to rip it out of the wall and throw it in the pool.
Now, I’m in the truck waiting for my daughter and listening to the same station and I’m fine. I don’t even like the song but I’m still enjoying it.
 
Anyway.

Remember the 90s when Napster and Limewire first hit and people were all being self-righteous about illegal downloading as a way of protest, saying shit like “the artists and musicians only make $2 from each CD sale, they all get shafted by the greedy record companies, we’ll all start buying music again once things are fair again...”?

Yeah.
 
Yeah, he peaked very early in life as being the least talented cast-member of one of the all-time great sitcoms.

But most of his fame came from hosting Fear Factor and (perhaps more significantly) UFC fights.
I forgot about Fear Factor. Never watched it and can’t say I knew he was the host. I wouldn’t watch UFC if you paid me. I have no interest in watching people beat each other silly.
 
I only knew him from the UFC. I have no interest in stand up comedy, all these comedians you guys rave about all the time and I'm going: "Who???"
 
Is Spotify still living off investor money, or are they actually accountable to make a profit? That would say a lot as to whether it is a moonshot (like Stern) or a well reasoned move.

If you look at the short term, Spotify made a HUGE pile of money by signing Rogan to this deal. Their share price increased sharply and if any of their major shareholders sold stock after the jump it would be realized to that degree. The company value of Spotify jumped $5 Billion on the deal.

Now, long-term is a different story but Rogan does have a lot of devoted followers. I have seen a few people pan him but the guy is very intelligent, with a wide spectrum of interests and one of the best interviewers I have seen - I really don't get the haters. He gained a lot of his fame from constantly being ringside at UFC events which he provides extremely articulate commentary which only comes from being educated and experienced in 'the fighting disciplines'. There are only a couple of fight commentators who come close and it took them a while to close the gap. Mauro was pretty good but not in the technical way that Rogan was (and is).
 
I watched a JRE YouTube clip, not knowing what I was in for, about ancient civilizations,a pet topic of mine. Of course, it turned out to be some ancient aliens nonsense, and now the algorithm is feeding me all of his insecure machismo garbage, along with all of the "anti-censorship" comics who are just upset that college students don't think they're funny.

You should listen to the ones with Randall Carlson (sp?). They are heavily focused on geological evidence and archaeological findings. Some to do with how Egyptologists have underestimated the age of some of the main elements in Egypt. Great discussions.
 
I have seen a few people pan him but the guy is very intelligent, with a wide spectrum of interests and one of the best interviewers I have seen - I really don't get the haters.
He strikes me as that kind of dumb guy who believes everything he hears, and prefers conspiracy theories because they don't make sense but he can just condescend and say that it's too complex to explain to you.
 
Back
Top