Favorite NEW albums of 2025?

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
I haven't listened to much new music this year, so I was wondering what others might be exploring.

While there's no limits beyond them being originally released in 2025 (not looking for reissues), I am more interested in new works over live stuff or compilations.

The one album that have gotten into is Yellow Jacket from Dispatch.

Supposedly Living Colour wrote and recorded some new stuff over the last year or two...I'd love to hear what they've been cooking.
 
Conan, Violence Dimension
Scour, Gold
Year of the Cobra, Year of the Cobra
Samantha Fish, Paper Doll
Kal El, Astral Voyager Vol. 1
Dunes, Land of the Blind
The Great Old Ones, Kadath
 
I've really been getting into Ethel Cain. It started a few months ago with her 2022 release, "Preacher's Daughter". Her new release "Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You" is just as good, but in a different way. The new album is a prequel to PD, and the Ethel character dies in PD. She also released an ambient noise album earlier this year called "Perverts". She's self produced, and that's one of the things that amazes me. The production of all three albums is some of the best that I've heard in years. She will likely start recording under her name, Hayden Silas Anhedönia, instead of Ethel Cain. I liked her music enough to buy concert tickets on the secondary market. All of her US shows, and most of her international shows are sold out. And she's not playing super small venues. She's at the Salt Shed Fairgrounds in Chicago on 9/20.
 
Jason Isbell - Foxes in the Snow is about the only album that caught my interest, all songs are one take jobs in high quality. No overdubs and some are pretty darned hard to perform. Some consider it his best album although it's not mine.

Mammoth will be releasing one soon if not already, I forgot the date.
 
Jason Isbell - Foxes in the Snow is about the only album that caught my interest, all songs are one take jobs in high quality. No overdubs and some are pretty darned hard to perform. Some consider it his best album although it's not mine.

Mammoth will be releasing one soon if not already, I forgot the date.
I heard the title track from Isbell's album on the radio yesterday. The guitar work and singing would definitely be hard to do simultaneously. The lyrics were introspective and well crafted...so basically it was classic Isbell. I will likely check out the rest of the album. I find that I have to kind of be "in a mood" for his music as it tends to be on the heavy side, lyrically.
 
Ethel Cain- Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You
The Callous Daoboys - I Don't Want to See You in Heaven
Viagra Boys - Viagr Boys
Turnstile - Never Enough
Crown Magnetar - Punishment
L.S. Dunes - Violet
Sleep Token - Even in Acadia
Tyler, The Creator - DON'T TAP THE GLASS
 
One is Natalie Bergman's My Home Is Not in the World. I've liked her music for a long time. She has this very 60s type sound that sometimes blends with gospel and indie rock. This album has a lot of great diverse sounds from motown basslines to strings. She has a knack for writing songs that sound like they've existed forever.



 
Brad Mehldau's album of Elliot Smith songs Ride Into the Sun. He collaborates with Chris Thile and Daniel Rossen (Grizzly Bear) who sing and play mandolin and guitar, respectively. I wasn't aware Rossen was a really great guitarist in his own right.





 
Benmont Tench - The Melancholy Season
Patterson Hood - Exploding Trees and Airplane Screams
The Doobie Brothers - Walk This Road
Samantha Fish - Paper Doll
Jason Isbell - Foxes in the Snow
Grace Potter - Medicine
Joanne Shaw Taylor - Black and Gold
 
Looking forward to hearing more of Of Monsters and Men’s latest.

Forgot that I was also digging Marina’s new album…one of the rare “pop” artists I like.
 
Goldie Boultier's new album Goldie Montana





1759497909392.png
 
Oops, I thought the link was on my clipboard. I'm leaving that though.

Here's my actual addition:

 
Back
Top