Broadway plays hit a new low.....

I am not a fan of musicals. Those that were written to be musicals usually have a quality that grates on me, and those like Mamma Mia and Across The Universe that take a song catalog and link a weak story to it are just lame. This is totally my biased personal opinion and is not meant to reflect on those who like musicals. It is just my own personal hangup. I think maybe my mother was frightened by Carol Channing when she was carrying me. idn_smilie
 
I watch the trailer for "Nine" and such great actors... beautiful cinematography... stunning women in amazing costumes....


... yet I know that I should avoid it because the music would be like pulling teeth to me. I'd have to watch it with headphones and an instrumental CD queued up. :tongue:


Speaking of.... I would really like to see that Star Wars show where the live orchestra plays chunks of the John Williams score with the movie playing on the big screen in the back. That would be epic.
 
Speaking of.... I would really like to see that Star Wars show where the live orchestra plays chunks of the John Williams score with the movie playing on the big screen in the back. That would be epic.

I've seen (and performed in) ensembles doing soundtracks for silent films, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or Sherlock Jr., or whatever...

But I don't know. I don't really see the point of the Star Wars thing. Except for the fact that Star Wars fans are multitudinous. Which is no doubt a huge contributing factor.
 
I've seen (and performed in) ensembles doing soundtracks for silent films, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or Sherlock Jr., or whatever...

But I don't know. I don't really see the point of the Star Wars thing. Except for the fact that Star Wars fans are multitudinous. Which is no doubt a huge contributing factor.

I have no doubt that's the only factor.
 
But I don't know. I don't really see the point of the Star Wars thing....


I will say this much.... as a kid, it was the first time I went out and bought a Classical or Soundtrack album with my own money. I would sit for hours with headphones and listen to John William's "Peter-and-the-Wolf" like character melodies that would come and go, weaving a tapestry so that when listening to any individual song, I could picture not only what point of the story was happening, but could hear in the music the characters and the emotions they were going through.
 
I will say this much.... as a kid, it was the first time I went out and bought a Classical or Soundtrack album with my own money. I would sit for hours with headphones and listen to John William's "Peter-and-the-Wolf" like character melodies that would come and go, weaving a tapestry so that when listening to any individual song, I could picture not only what point of the story was happening, but could hear in the music the characters and the emotions they were going through.

Hey, I was a Star Wars fan as a kid, too... and to this day, I still don't even have a problem with Yoda or with ewoks, really.

But I think that Lucas could do more for the legacy of those movies by getting the original prints cleaned up, put out there on DVD/Blu-Ray, and maybe releasing a few prints to be shown at midnight screenings, etc., than with all the peripheral bullshit.
 
I will say this much.... as a kid, it was the first time I went out and bought a Classical or Soundtrack album with my own money. I would sit for hours with headphones and listen to John William's "Peter-and-the-Wolf" like character melodies that would come and go, weaving a tapestry so that when listening to any individual song, I could picture not only what point of the story was happening, but could hear in the music the characters and the emotions they were going through.

DOING IT WRONG

this is the only acceptable version of Peter & the Wolf:

captainkangaroo398100.jpg
 
I think that John William's orchestral score and Ralph McQuarrie's designs contributed more to the epic timelessness of the Star Wars saga than anything Lucas himself did after making the first movie.

starwars2.jpg


starwars11.jpg
 
I've seen (and performed in) ensembles doing soundtracks for silent films, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or Sherlock Jr., or whatever...

I saw the Colorado Symphony perform Einhorns 'Voices Of Light' live with Carl Dryers silent film 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc) playing on big screens behind the symphony (with chorus). The oratorio was actually written as a 'soundtrack' to this film nearly 70 years after the film was made, though the film 'vanished' for about 50 years in there. I can honestly say it was probably the most powerfully emotional performance I have ever witnessed in my life. I was emotionally drained for the rest of the evening. That film is on a lot of the 'Greatest film ever' lists - generally towards the top. I have the film on DVD with Einhorn's music on it (or you can optionally turn it off).
 
As much as I don't like musicals I am a big fan of soundtrack music. Not those soundtracks that are all pop music songs but the incidental music. I have loved some movies due to the soundtrack and hated others due to the soundtrack. I have written incidental music for plays and it was one of my favorite musical experiences.
 
What are those Star Wars pictures from?

When Lucas had just a rough screenplay, he took it to artist Ralph McQuarrie who created all of the character designs, worlds, and most of the visual elements that you recognize from Star Wars.


The earliest of these paintings reflect the early script where Luke and Han were the same character... a blond haired pirate-pilot named "Luke Starkiller".

z-starwars.jpg


They used McQuarrie's artwork to display to the movie studios what movie they were trying to make. I used to have a copy of that earliest script... it was like 27 pages.
 
Last edited:
When Lucas had just a rough screenplay, he took it to artist Ralph McQuarrie who created all of the character designs, worlds, and most of the visual elements that you recognize from Star Wars.


The earliest of these paintings reflect the early script where Luke and Han were the same character... a blond haired pirate-pilot named "Luke Starkiller".

They used McQuarrie's artwork to display to the movie studios what movie they were trying to make. I used to have a copy of that earliest script... it was like 27 pages.

They are really cool.
 
Where are the stage versions of "Encino Man" and "Waterworld"?

Encino man would be epic.
Little House on the Prairie is playing here now.

I'm not going......
Good call.
My dad is taking my middle daughter to LHotP Sunday, I am curious to hear his review.

I heard that Young Frankensteins was decent (I think, I have been reading a shit ton of Broadway reviews the last few weeks and I could be confused)...

I am going to see Wicked, and I'll tell ya one thing that isn't hitting a new low, and that is ticket prices...$320 bucks for 2 seats to see a MUSICAL...DAYUM!

I bet you $20 neither of them will like it.
I'd give Young Frankenstein a shot. At least it might be funny.
I would have liked to see Wicked when it was here. That shit sold out uberfast.
 
I love certain musicals but Mama Mia, Cats and toher like them are certainly not my cup of tea.


I'm more into Chicago, Cabaret, Avenue Q, and Rent as examples of shows I like. I did however really like wicked but I've got a thing for Idina Menzel.

idina-menzel.jpg
 
I love certain musicals but Mama Mia, Cats and toher like them are certainly not my cup of tea.


I'm more into Chicago, Cabaret, Avenue Q, and Rent as examples of shows I like. I did however really like wicked but I've got a thing for Idina Menzel.

idina-menzel.jpg

Wait a minute, are you telling me that that girl is playing a role in Wicked? On Broadway?

*crosses his fingers*
 
I love certain musicals but Mama Mia, Cats and toher like them are certainly not my cup of tea.


I'm more into Chicago, Cabaret, Avenue Q, and Rent as examples of shows I like. I did however really like wicked but I've got a thing for Idina Menzel.

idina-menzel.jpg

:love:
 
Back
Top