Broadway plays hit a new low.....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
....at least here in Denver.

I go to the occasional Broadway musical when they tour here in Denver (we have an awesome theater), so I am on the advance tickets email list. I got the listing of next years big Broadway season.

Among the shows coming to town...

Legally Blonde
Shrek the Musical
101 Dalmatians
Young Frankenstein

It used to be that plays were made into movies, not visa versa. :facepalm:
 
Any of those are probable better than Happy Days and Little House on the Prairie.

Worst. Musicals. Ever.
 
I dont like musicals in general.

I like concerts. I like movies/plays.


Dont so much like smashing them together.
 
Little House on the Prairie is playing here now.

I'm not going......

My dad is taking my middle daughter to LHotP Sunday, I am curious to hear his review.

I heard that Young Frankensteins was decent (I think, I have been reading a shit ton of Broadway reviews the last few weeks and I could be confused)...

I am going to see Wicked, and I'll tell ya one thing that isn't hitting a new low, and that is ticket prices...$320 bucks for 2 seats to see a MUSICAL...DAYUM!
 
There was a great discussion in The Gramophone a couple of months ago, where an argument that musicals hit a decline in the 70s/80s when they began to be written by people who were essentially pop musicians (Lloyd Weber, Elton John, etc.) instead of by people who were familiar with the theatre, dramaturgy, etc., like Stephen Sondheim.

It's an argument that I have a lot of sympathy for. Sondheim pwnz.
 
...I despise musicals...they seem so over the top...I like them better as films...one thing I really hate are the corny codas, the ones when everyone sings a word or two, slowly, with the music flourishing up, like an exclamation point...I cant stand that...

...I dont like Opera either...although, I love "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg"...if that can even be considered an opera...
 
I dont like musicals in general.

I like concerts. I like movies/plays.


Dont so much like smashing them together.

I agree with you. I can't think of many cases where the mixture worked. Actually, at the moment I can't think of any cases, but I'm sure it may have happened.
 
Sorry. I've never seen any musical that didn't make me ill. I believe the format is inherently suckful.

EG

I disagree, but I can certainly sympathize if your view of musicals is based on things like Phantom of the Opera, Cats, JC Superstar, Mamma Mia, etc.

On principle, I don't think that any format is inherently suckful... but some definitely require more skill, vision, artistry, and talent to pull off than others.
 
I disagree, but I can certainly sympathize if your view of musicals is based on things like Phantom of the Opera, Cats, JC Superstar, Mamma Mia, etc.

On principle, I don't think that any format is inherently suckful... but some definitely require more skill, vision, artistry, and talent to pull off than others.

I liked 'Phantom.....'. High art? No. But I thought it was the best of Lloyd-Webbers shows.
 
I can sit through Opera.... when it's in a foreign language that I don't undersand... and I'm having to interpret the emotions and story from the music alone....


.... ANY musical stage, theatre, or movie where they SING their lines irritates me to no end.

"I'm going to open this dooooor now..."

"Oh nooo you muuust noooot...."

"Do no telll me whaaat to doooo you wench..."

"I'm leaaaving you... for... the garrrrdnerrr..."

:facepalm:


Particularly the styles where the dialogue meanders up and down scales, almost randomly... that is the equivalent of them taking a dump in my ears.

Actually... some of the music from things like Jesus Christ Superstar is far more appealing to my ears.... they're powerful songs first.. and you learn the story as you go... they're not just plays with singing for the sake of singing.
 
Back
Top