Board, taking it all apart and starting over. Wanna help or comment?

Some more changes from last time. Big board will be for the Fender Concert and will likely end up also serving with the Fender as the “Wet” in a wet/dry set up, thus the M9 with more wet stuff in addition to the other time based and modulation pedals on board. The main move this time was deciding the Small Clone was going to go on this board.

The small board ended up losing the Small Clone, and ended up with the CE-5 back on (leaves a chorus on there for when I want a little if I take that amp and small board out on its own, but the better chorus goes on the board that will be more the “wet” board.) It will be for the C-30, and C-30 powering the Marshall MC212 I have. That set up will be the “Dry” in a wet/dry rig. At least the first iteration.The F5 might get replaced by a DLS or an Angry Charlie (maybe more likely the Angry Charlie, as I like those JHS guys, and it seems to get as good or better reviews than the DLS). The C-30 will now likely have a Greenback in it or very similar, and the MC212 already does have 2 Greenbacks. So you can kinda see where I am going here. Remains to be seen whether the F5 stays on to give a more tweed flavor, or if that ends up being redundant, or less helpful, given the speakers and cab situation.

E271F512-D53D-482B-8C94-56A99A5691CA.jpeg
4BB14A9B-C6CC-432F-AB73-8D5F862E1893.jpeg


Also, the Rodent (RAT Clone on steroids) could end up going over to the dry (smaller) board, as the Carcosa and the tube screamer clone you see on the larger board can cover what the Rat Clone does, and I don’t have anything really like that over on the smaller board. The DS-1 is just not the same at all, in terms of getting fuzzy (fizzy yes), and is not fuzzy at all, whereas the RAT can get a good cool straight distortion, up to approaching fuzz.


Obviously still playing around with “big rig” world here. Not getting simpler yet.
 
Last edited:
Further moves. Did a lot of playing around today. Thinking the main dirt and distortion tones will be tweed based on the Fender, and Marshall/RAT based on the smaller board for the Peavey. May be thinning the herd of dirt, but it is hard for me to let go of pedals on my board(s)! LOL! On the smaller board for the Peavey, the Bad Monkey got bumped for now. And probably the DS-1 will go too, and I will let my RAT clone and C-bread F5 cover that territory. A DLS will join the F5 so I have that Marshall base tone out of the Peavey. Will see then if the F5 stays over there or not. As I own it, and like it, it might stay for Fendery/overdriven sounds in case I want them, thus ditching the Bad Monkey. No need for a tube screamer type for me at this point on that little board. The RAT clone came off my larger board for the Fender as I think the Carcosa can cover that closely enough. Anyway, fun playing with toys.

Peavey/Marshall (dry) board.
image.jpg


Fender (wet) board. Getting into phasers now, along with the chorus. Super 90’s!
image.jpg
 
Based on reading, on the Peavey/Marshall cab side, thinking I will set the DLS in Super Bass mode to have lower gain on tap, as I want to be able to go from a nice warm marshally clean to dirt with the volume knob, then hit it with the RAT clone or other stuff to ramp up the gain when I want that. Excited to play with stacking fuzz also.

Basically, I think I will end up having available both American (with the Fender and the F55) and British (with the DLS) edge of break up clean, and roll up to dirty, with both boards and set ups. I am not a super high gain guy really, at least at this point. From there, I will start to get rid of some of the extra dirt I don’t need, and hopefully have a fuzzy option on both sides as well. That may be a whole ‘nuther can of worms after I get base tones dialed in.
 
Ok, so this little guy showed up. The DLS arrived! Looks brand new. Set it up, tried it out in Super Lead, set it in Super Bass for now, and adjusted the presence for my Peavey with the Marshall extension cab. I may have it set a tad bright, but that is how I roll.

I thought maybe that might make me sell the F.5 but no way! They are two very different creatures/flavors and I love them both, and they work great in this set up. I am messing with the DS-1 to see if I can make it be like a treble/gain boost into the DLS to me a stompable SuperLead switch (I think I can if I keep messing with it), and then the RAT clone will maybe go back over the the Fender. At least that is the current thought.

Also, the Fender HH, and Hagstrom are very different animals as well. The Fender can rock in this set up just fine, but the DLS likes the Hagstrom that much more I think. I have not tried the tele, or my strat, and I do not have a fuzz circuit to try that as they show in the videos with a strat. I think the tele (with the neck P90 and A3 rockwind bridge pup) will be pretty fun and be able to pull off the AC/DC not too hot, not too metal Marshal sound for when want that sort of sound, using this rig.



F848AB6F-7C3F-402E-9980-1CD871677E74.jpeg
0535A1D3-DB5A-4FEE-927D-6217660775DE.jpeg
 
Latest version of the Pedalboard Galactica of ridiculousness and overkill. Guess I did some pandemic shopping.

Once I find actually some people to play out with again, this will get simplified.

that older Line6 multi-effects has all sorts of effects built in, and I like to have it to play with other weird modulation and time based stuff that I don't have. But at some point it could go. As I try to become more of a player again, (find some people to play with?) and less a home gear collector and hobbyist, I would love to winnow some of this down and stick to one or two forms of modulation (as I do like modulation), and if I were playing out with others again, (haven't done that since before the pandemic, and would definitely cut this down if I were) I would really want to simplify this some. Also in those catalinbread overdrive pedals (lover left plus the white one just above those two), at least get rid of one of them, and one of the separate chorus pedals. Probably the old beat up Small Clone, as it is glitchy and loud when it turns on and off, and the JHS Emperor is more versatile and works better(the one with the penguin on it, sideways) but I get sentimental about the Small Clone as Cobain used one, and I like the butterfly sticker so for now it is on there. (and it does that Small Clone sound better than I can get out of the Emperor for now) LOL! I still want to learn how to stack delays well, so both delays can stay, the green one on the right, sideways, and the blue one upper center left that has multiple types in it, plus a looper. My amp does not have a reverb, so that is why that second to last one is there, and the last big one with orange has a vibrato section that I like, (the amp I would take to play out does not, but has reverb) but more importantly, I can set up everything with volumes that sound good, then use the preamp side to regulate the overall volume going to the amp in it so I can play at home, or boost the signal if I wanted to. So it is useful. Glad my arm/wrist/hand is better so I can play again and figure this stuff out!

I think the first thing to go is the small clone until I can clean it up and get it working better.

And do I really need two types of fuzz and a RAT (swiss army knife one at that?)


B23055E7-A37F-491A-B010-94B67EB1B59A.jpeg
41C90E2C-6F1B-420D-BF3F-9A87D5394A0B.jpeg
 
No wah connected For now as I never use it, and if I wanted, I could do an auto wah in that line 6. The only time I could see myself really using it why would be covering Pearl Jam or trying to jam my own stuff in that style. I just don't see myself following that Hendrix/SRV line of playing all that much in reality.
 
Are all those pedals on there because you have them (not that there's anything wrong w/ that) or like, do you have songs requiring 3 different flavors of OD?
 
Are all those pedals on there because you have them (not that there's anything wrong w/ that) or like, do you have songs requiring 3 different flavors of OD?

Originally, I justified it because I was going to use an ABY pedal and two different amps with different flavors, from two different effects set ups, one fender tweed oriented, one marshall oriented, was talking to Howie about it. I do still have the ABY pedal and the amps. But instead for now was thinking I would just have them on one big board, because I do have them, and have kind of a dirt shoot out to try to narrow things down. I had thought the formula number five and formula number 55 would be redundant, but I do like that formula 55 and it seems to be hard for me to dial in exactly what it does on the formula number 55. But I plan to try more. it is not necessarily because of song flavors. Those so far, the formula number 55 is just nice fine with my Fender concert as a base, and the formula number five nails Neil Young really well, and the Marshall thing just has that Marshall thing and I would have songs that would fit both of those sounds. But, it seems like silly overkill.

The little Spark boost is there to drive the base dirt tone when I want to. The harder clipping and fuzz dirt is there because I like all those sounds. But they may get spread around if I go the ABY thing again at some point.

None of it is practical for a working musician. It is more an exploration of sounds I want to be a part of my set of sounds. I have a few in mind I would like to have in my tool belt.
 
Back
Top