Wow, I think the transmission in my car exploded this morning.

it sux that you've had to wait two weeks to get yer car back.....but it's pretty sweet that yer getting basically an entirely new drive train for free.

I can't really complain. They offered me a loaner, but I don't really need it, as my wife and I work in the same place. It is nice that they are replacing it all for free and stuff for sure.

I need to call the service guy and mechanic and ask if they think I should keep this for a while, or trade the fucker in ASAP, as more problems might be coming from this later. The damn thing only has 40K on the motor/chassis/odometer, zero on the trans, and like 20K on the turbo. Powertrain warranty is up at like 60K, I think, so I'd like to hear their thoughts of if I should RUN.

I can't really complain. They offered me a loaner, but I don't really need it, as my wife and I work in the same place. It is nice that they are replacing it all for free and stuff for sure.

I need to call the service guy and mechanic and ask if they think I should keep this for a while, or trade the fucker in ASAP, as more problems might be coming from this later. The damn thing only has 40K on the motor/chassis/odometer, zero on the trans, and like 20K on the turbo. Powertrain warranty is up at like 60K, I think, so I'd like to hear their thoughts of if I should RUN.

I think it really depends....while you're getting a slew of new parts, you also have a stealership mechanic rebuilding the majority of your drivetrain. If you really like the car, drive it for a while and see what shakes out; if it starts acting up, time to move on.

OTOH if you've been thinking about a change, this is a pretty epic sign that it might be time.

my wife ( who used to handle this sort of thing for Hyundai in the Consumer Affairs dept) was impressed with how this was handled.

Car will finally be done on Monday...of course, I will be out of town until Wednesday afternoon. Perfect timing. The mazda dealer wanted to replace a transmission collar that the mechanic thought had a groove worn into it, and that took a little while longer to get the correct part. Like all the parts so far, this part is specific to the speed3 model, so it is order and wait. Mechanic came out and told me yesterday that he would put it back together with the old collar, but the correct thing to do is to replace it with a new part. He said he didn't feel completely comfortable reusing the old piece, even if it might be fine. So, now I wait for a few more days.

Dealer offered me a new 2012 speed3, loaded with EVERY option, for my car and significant discount from invoice. Payment is actually lower than my current car payment, and I put down like 5 grand when I bought my last model. I might have to seriously think about that offer. Car has everything, including some stuff my current car doesn't have (sat nav, blue tooth, blind spot monitoring, keyless entry/button start, etc.).

Last edited:
Of course, if the reliability of my current speed3 is any indication of what the new one will be like, it is probably worth getting something else.

Car will finally be done on Monday...of course, I will be out of town until Wednesday afternoon. Perfect timing. The mazda dealer wanted to replace a transmission collar that the mechanic thought had a groove worn into it, and that took a little while longer to get the correct part. Like all the parts so far, this part is specific to the speed3 model, so it is order and wait. Mechanic came out and told me yesterday that he would put it back together with the old collar, but the correct thing to do is to replace it with a new part. He said he didn't feel completely comfortable reusing the old piece, even if it might be fine. So, now I wait for a few more days.

Dealer offered me a new 2012 speed3, loaded with EVERY option, for my car and significant discount from invoice. Payment is actually lower than my current car payment, and I put down like 5 grand when I bought my last model. I might have to seriously think about that offer. Car has everything, including some stuff my current car doesn't have (sat nav, blue tooth, blind spot monitoring, keyless entry/button start, etc.).

I just read that to my wife and she says offers like that are usually because there is some manner of lawsuit pending that they don't want you to join in on or be unhappy enough to discover online.

Could be, Mark, it could be. Obviously, I'm not privy to what goes on in the back end of the dealership, but the sales manager guy told me there are a few incentives right now, a decent hold back, and they need to move cars near the end of the month to get the best wholesale price from mazda. They told me they wanted to make me a good deal to keep me happy as a customer, and sell off a car that typically sits around for a while. I came home and did all the math, and it seems they will still make a few hundred bucks off the deal when you figure all the info I can find on the web. Cheaper than other dealers, but it isn't like they are selling it at a loss.

Got the old car back yesterday. I was away on business, and took a cab from the airport to the dealer to pick it up. Everything seems to be working well so far. :shrug:

I'm still thinking about trading it in on a new one, just in case there is more fucked up in the car than what they fixed.

OK, the old car is gone. No more worries about that trans replacement.

Back