School me on Fender guitars please

Get an MIM player strat or tele. That'll let you know immediately if Fenders are for you or not. Look for one of the Adorama specials (usually in LPB) that seem to come up every few months and it won't cost you much to dip a toe...

So I got to play a bunch of guitars today.

The one that really spoke to me was a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. :love:

Before I found that tho I played a bunch of Strats and Teles. A MIM Fat Strat spoke to me and a Squier CV Tele was nice at half the price. All the necks felt good - no baseball bats in the bunch.

I've got a MIA P bass I'm trading so I'll go back with that and get a little more serious.

So my question tonight is will I not be missing the true Fender thing if I go HSS?

Last edited:

Before I found that tho I played a bunch of Strats and Teles. A MIM Fat Strat spoke to me and a Squier CV Tele was nice at half the price. All the necks felt good - no baseball bats in the bunch.

I've got a MIA P bass I'm trading so I'll go back with that and get a little more serious.

So my question tonight is will I not be missing the true Fender thing if I go HSS?

The purists will say so. I personally think of a Strat as SSS. But honestly HSS is probably more versatile and still does the Fender thing. AND you can always experiment with SSS just by buying a bridge single coil and a new pickguard. That's the cool thing about Strats!

No, you won't miss it at all. Obviously, it pushes the three Strat minimum to a four Strat minimum.

Well rat farts. I decided to pull the trigger and they are back-ordered.
1725574035368.png

:lol:

This thread has inspired me to take a day soon and go Tele shopping in Nashville.
Hopefully I wont become infatuated with a Strat or something and loose focus, lol.

And now, I've taken this tele unavailability as an omen that a new guitar isn't going to inspire me to play, and that I should stick with the guitar I have.

Although there is a sexy little Epi Firebird on facebook marketplace for $500...

And now, I've taken this tele unavailability as an omen that a new guitar isn't going to inspire me to play, and that I should stick with the guitar I have.

Although there is a sexy little Epi Firebird on facebook marketplace for $500...
and there he was, about to embark on...................oh look.......squirrel!!!

and there he was, about to embark on...................oh look.......squirrel!!!
Lol, I was looking for guitars that I don't get along with in hopes that my stubbornness would motivate me to play it. Tele's have always been at the top of the list of guitars I don't get along with, but firebirds are right up there.

Lol, I was looking for guitars that I don't get along with in hopes that my stubbornness would motivate me to play it. Tele's have always been at the top of the list of guitars I don't get along with, but firebirds are right up there.
i've never owned a tele, because we don't get along.
i did own a '64 firebird, and while it played great and sounded great, it was neck heavy as a MF'r.
i ended up trading to Dave Hlubek (of Molly Hatchet) for his '61 SG Special. :lol:

Not going to school anybody, but I've recently fallen back onto playing my Strat again. And I love it.
Recent years I've been relying on my HSS superstrats (Jackson, EBMM, Sterling) but recently after a band reshuffle I've found myself playing my Strat through a Marshall with a volume control and a couple of drive pedals. That is a glorious sound, and the Strat just feels like home (it was what I started out with 20+ years ago).

And when you need a different style or sound, fire up a Tele. Works every time. I did find myself pllaying country licks for a little while after I got one though, but eventually got over that. :grin:

Not going to school anybody, but I've recently fallen back onto playing my Strat again. And I love it.
Recent years I've been relying on my HSS superstrats (Jackson, EBMM, Sterling) but recently after a band reshuffle I've found myself playing my Strat through a Marshall with a volume control and a couple of drive pedals. That is a glorious sound, and the Strat just feels like home (it was what I started out with 20+ years ago).

And when you need a different style or sound, fire up a Tele. Works every time. I did find myself pllaying country licks for a little while after I got one though, but eventually got over that. :grin:
imo, sometimes/often a gibby type into an overdriven amp, like a marshall, can just be too much.
whereas a strat (SSS) can calm them right down. but the thing is, with a gibby type, you get away with some slop in your single note stuff......you cannot get away with that on a strat. :lol:

imo, sometimes/often a gibby type into an overdriven amp, like a marshall, can just be too much.
whereas a strat (SSS) can calm them right down. but the thing is, with a gibby type, you get away with some slop in your single note stuff......you cannot get away with that on a strat. :lol:

That is true. But there's just something with a slightly overdriven Marshall and a Strat - throw a boost or drive pedal in front of that and it sounds glorious. Over the years I don't really like the uber-clean sounds through a Fender, but a Marshall with just a bit of hair on it - lovely.

That is true. But there's just something with a slightly overdriven Marshall and a Strat - throw a boost or drive pedal in front of that and it sounds glorious. Over the years I don't really like the uber-clean sounds through a Fender, but a Marshall with just a bit of hair on it - lovely.
1725675112174.png

I've decided that maybe adding a few different guitars to the mix might give me enough of a challenge to get me serious about playing again. Historically, I've never gotten along with telecasters, so I'm thinking that getting a tele may get me motivated just through sheer stubbornness.
Go get yourself a Classic Vibe Tele. Not a big outlay.

I'm having so much fun with mine!

Back