Please be telling me the absolute truth for you: which pickup do you usually select as your "happy place" if you had to pick one...

You are BRIDGE PICKUP GUY or NECK PICKUP GUY? (or girl)

• Total voters
On Les Paul types with 4 pots I pick the middle and blend. I start on 10 with the volumes knobs. Turning down slightly on either will give me either full neck or bridge. From there I turn down both to 8 or 9 and blend in what I want more of.

Strats: It’s usually position 4, middle and neck. None of the knobs are on 10. If I wank over that I turn on a klon fake.

If I’m using a Fuzzface type pedal then all the above goes out the window because it doesn’t apply if I’m trying to get that Spirit in the Sky thing. I do this 3rd Stone from the Sun thing too on the A string while droning the E string using a strat or a P90 P guitar. It’s a take off of what Gary Clark Jr does on the Black and Blue album but I’m not using a band so it’s both the bass and guitar parts to make it more full. Doesn’t work with humbuckers or EMG type pickups. It’s not automatic either, like plug it together stomp the pedal and there it is. I do this run up to it where I’m basically the using same notes I use in 3SftS but randomly with some short single note runs while adjusting volume and tone. If I don’t find the spot the droning E string just swallows up any single note expression. When I find it I do a slide into the first note of 3SftS and if you know the song then you instantly know that where it’s going. Hit the looper, run through it a couple times, start the loop and blaze off into some fuzz spitting ejaculation goodness. That’s in the bridge position. Have to be mindful of the volume control because if I’m not playing it’s buzzing like a hornets nest out of control and feeding back.

I guess I don’t really sit in one spot.

Bridge. Although my guitars have neck and bridge, I only use the bridge ickup. The neck pickup is mainly an option if another guitarist is using one of mine.

Middle here.
I've had guitars with one pickup - both bridge (Gibson Melody Maker) and bridge (Fender MusicMaster, Godin Acousticaster) and both worked well, but the Gibson was easier to get into some nice distortion or grind so I'd have to pick that if required to pick.

Voted bridge pickup out of the options as I could happily play a guitar with one humbucker at the bridge. One single coil (Esquire style) wouldn't cut it for me though. No guitar with just a neck pickup of any description would work for me though.

In practice though, all my guitars have at least 2 pickups and I'll use all the positions for different tones depending on the song.

My default is the middle position (on 2-pickup guitars). I like the bit of hollowness you get there.

Of the two "one or the other" positions, neck. That's what I voted. I like all the juicy overtones you get there. The bridge position is for specific things that demand bridge position. Like anything traversing troubled water. Or when you just gotta twang.

I’m a middle position guy as well. I do own a bunch of single pickup guitars but two singles, a hum and a single, or two P90s are money.

If I had to have a single pickup electric, it would have a bridge pickup and either be a Tele or JR DC w/ a p90

Back