Line6 HX Effects Initial Impressions

I used the demo for Helix Native and it was pretty damn nifty. Simple to use if that's all you wanted but TONS of options if you wanted to dig in deep. Hope you get that license.

So you're saying there's more than just one known issue with these units that is bad enough to require a replacement unit?

FFS!

All joking aside, I'd just ask for a refund and go another route.

It's pretty clear that Yamaha hasn't, and can't save Line 6 from themselves. It's a shame really. They've brought a whole lot of innovation and brilliance to to the music world, but it's always trapped in a box of pure fail.

maxresdefault.jpg

So you're saying there's more than just one known issue with these units that is bad enough to require a replacement unit?

FFS!

All joking aside, I'd just ask for a refund and go another route.

It's pretty clear that Yamaha hasn't, and can't save Line 6 from themselves. It's a shame really. They've brought a whole lot of innovation and brilliance to to the music world, but it's always trapped in a box of pure fail.

Reading the TGP digital forum, it appears there's an issue with fewer than 1% of the units. And since Line 6 sold out of their first run, they can make changes to the current production run now before new units have the same issues. I'm actually pretty impressed with how they're handling it.

Basically, this is the price you pay for being an early adopter, and is why I'm not an early adopter. :embarrassed:

Reading the TGP digital forum, it appears there's an issue with fewer than 1% of the units. And since Line 6 sold out of their first run, they can make changes to the current production run now before new units have the same issues. I'm actually pretty impressed with how they're handling it.

Basically, this is the price you pay for being an early adopter, and is why I'm not an early adopter. :embarrassed:
Having spent a lot of time in retail (computers, electronics, musical instruments, etc.) and as a computer technician, I can tell you that less than 1% is actually AMAZING. The average is 1-3%. Even Behringer falls into that range now (they didn't used to).

Having spent a lot of time in retail (computers, electronics, musical instruments, etc.) and as a computer technician, I can tell you that less than 1% is actually AMAZING. The average is 1-3%. Even Behringer falls into that range now (they didn't used to).

It's probably in that range, but people haven't reported the problem. I'm still gonna wait.

So my boot error issue support ticket has been updated. The wording isn’t clear but it seems they want to repair my unit rather than replace it. I just bought this thing. Is it too much to ask for a replacement vs repair work on a brand spanking new lemon?

So my boot error issue support ticket has been updated. The wording isn’t clear but it seems they want to repair my unit rather than replace it. I just bought this thing. Is it too much to ask for a replacement vs repair work on a brand spanking new lemon?
As a former refurb tech... Sometimes refurbs are actually better cuz they're guaranteed to have the kinks worked out. As long as they they don't relic it on ya and it still carries warranty you should be OK.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, took the HX Effects to band practice tonight. Took 5 minutes to get it turned on but it sounded GREAT. Being able to tweak settings on the fly with my feet was easy and really useful. Very pleased aside from the obvious fubar software issue.

Ok wait... So they reneged on replacing the unit? That's a heaping dose of bullshit right there. WTF?

I'll totally agree about the 1-3% failure thing as well as the "refurbs often better" thing. If the actual incidence is that low on this unit, then they should have ZERO problem with replacement.

I call shenanigans.

Sorted it all out, spoke directly with a Line6 rep on TGP who went above and beyond. I'll be receiving a replacement once they get more in. I got a free copy of HX Native too, which I don' really need but you never know.

The HX does just what I want and nothing I don't want for the rig I'm using in this new band, so my tolerance level is quite high at the moment. We'll see if the replacement shits the bed... Plus, my bandmates all loved how I sounded last night at practice.

Awesome, for all my mad shit talk, I really would love to hear this turn out to be a success story. The fact that it does what you want it to do is really the most important thing. Brand name is irrelevant.

It would also please me greatly to see Line 6 stepping up in a positive and proactive way to address and sort the inevitable hiccups that come with the territory.

For me, my HD-500 was exactly what I needed, and for the most part, it did a spectacular job of accurately nailing a crazy breadth of tones that I needed for the 80s band, and that no other unit could come close to. For that... I absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately, the build quality was atrocious. The fact that I had to keep opening the damned thing up to replace broken switches... And eventually having to fabricate an internal brace to mitigate that problem was huge let down. Having a switch shit the bed in the middle of a show happened more than once. Not cool.

But, the biggest problem was the company itself. I wasn't alone in having constant volume issues and firmware crashes etc. Very early on, due to user input, they added a global EQ setting via firmware update. I didn't see the point, since each patch was individually EQ'd anyway, but whatever. The fact that they turned a deaf ear to all of the begging and pleading for a global volume update while getting downright snippy with their customers on the official forums pushed me over the edge. That's really a big shame, because had they handled themselves better, I'd likely still be using it, or possibly stepping up to a newer L6 unit.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to make this thing switch channels on my amp. I’ve got a cable connected and I set the exp jack to external amp control. Grrr

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to make this thing switch channels on my amp. I’ve got a cable connected and I set the exp jack to external amp control. Grrr
What amp?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back