Your most hated ingredient?

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
We've been doing a lot of Asian cooking during lockdown and it's all delicious but fuck me if fish sauce isn't the most disgusting smelling thing ever.

I made a dipping sauce about an hour ago and I still feel like wretching. Mrs JBJ made something with it last week and it stunk the place out all day.

It's an expensive bottle so she won't let me throw it out but I've told her once it's done no more will be coming in.
 
Fish sauce is amazing, but it’s not for everyone.

Ketchup has few uses but is hardly offensive.

Any American ‘southern” cuisine that relies heavily on cream cheese and/or canned cream of mushroom soup is trash.
 
I have no use for Hoisin sauce. And Cilantro should be used in moderation. I don't hate it like many do, but my wife uses the hell out of it sometimes.
 
Mayonnaise. No mater how or where you try to hide it, mayonnaise by any name, is horrid. The smell of it gives me goosebumps. The few times I've bitten into something to something that has it hidden within made me gag.

Oh, and cilantro. It tastes just like the smell of clothes that have been left in the washer for too long, or a sponge that was left wet on the kitchen counter.
 
Last edited:
Fish sauce is a great addition to add umami to a lot of dishes. It is pretty pungent right out of the bottle though.

And if you are iffy on it at all, do not - DO NOT - look too closely into how it is made.
 
Oh and for my ingredient, Italian parsley. I use it when it is called for, and I’m fine with the finished products. But the smell and appearance of unprocessed Italian parsley aren’t appealing to me at all.
 
Peppers. All kinds, but especially these motherfuckers.

iu
 
I don't care for mushrooms in any identifiable form, tho I mix them in, finely chopped, with ground meat sometimes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tig
We've been doing a lot of Asian cooking during lockdown and it's all delicious but fuck me if fish sauce isn't the most disgusting smelling thing ever.

I made a dipping sauce about an hour ago and I still feel like wretching. Mrs JBJ made something with it last week and it stunk the place out all day.

It's an expensive bottle so she won't let me throw it out but I've told her once it's done no more will be coming in.
Dude! I had a great recipe I used to make my own beef jerky years ago where the main ingredient was fish sauce. A friend of mine, who's wife was Korean, came up with it and it was killer. Man she could cook. It was lost during the last move we made across the US along with our recipe file card box.
 
Last edited:
Dude! I had a great recipe I used to make my own beef jerky years ago where the main ingredient was fish sauce. A friend of mine, who's wife was Korean, came up with it and it was killer. Man she could cook. It was lost during the last move we made across the US along with our recipe file card box.

You've just reminded me a pals wife recently mentioned she makes her own biltong and promised me some from her next batch :grin:
 
Dude! I had a great recipe I used to make my own beef jerky years ago where the main ingredient was fish sauce. A friend of mine, who's wife was Korean, came up with it and it was killer. Man she could cook. It was lost during the last move we made across the US along with our recipe file card box.
Speaking of fish oil and jerky. My brother is fishing out of the San Diego harbor on a three day boat trip. He trades the fish he catches with the fish market down there. They trade pound for pound with fish that's been cleaned and vacuum sealed. He gets a lot of fish jerky. It's so good. I'm not sure what fish he will catch. Big eye tuna, ahi. Maybe some yellow tail. He will have fish jerky and fillets for months.

I guess fish sauce and oil are not the same thing. I am looking forward to some jerky.
 
Back
Top