Xaviere offsets have shipped....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
They should arrive at the DD estates on Friday.

Which is good. I can use the P90 model to finish my second 70's tune.

yhst-50206111187217_2080_15375242


:thu:

I'll try and record clips over the weekend if I am not sucked down a black hole trying to get the second cover tune finished....
 
Very cool!

I usually don't dig the Jazzmaster/jaguar-y kind of designs like that but for the price with the p90's I'd be very tempted...
 
I'll have the caramel color of that with the maple fingerboard. I wish the white one came with a maple fingerboard though....

Me too. If that had been an option, I'd have had a really hard time not raiding the change bucket to come up with the money to order one. :embarrassed:
 
They should arrive at the DD estates on Friday.

Which is good. I can use the P90 model to finish my second 70's tune.

yhst-50206111187217_2080_15375242


:thu:

I'll try and record clips over the weekend if I am not sucked down a black hole trying to get the second cover tune finished....

I dont know anything about that style trem. Are they any good? Can you remove the handle/block the trem for those that dont use 'em?
 
I dont know anything about that style trem. Are they any good? Can you remove the handle/block the trem for those that dont use 'em?

They are good for mild trem work - kind of like you hear of the classic surf music songs. They don't work for divebombs or a heavy handed trem user. I really do not know about the blocking question...
 
They are good for mild trem work - kind of like you hear of the classic surf music songs. They don't work for divebombs or a heavy handed trem user. I really do not know about the blocking question...

I dont use trems at all, if that thing was a hardtail, it would be much more tempting. I'd rather not have one.
 
not mine:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2412230&page=38

Front22.jpg


Model: XV-JT90 “Telemaster”
Color: Caramel
Wood : Hard Ash
Pickups: GFS Alnico Fatbody pickup at the bridge and a GFS Crunchy Mini at the neck.
Weight: 10.7 Pounds!

Fit and Finish: 10…It looks incredible, really nice right out of the case. Paint was perfect. My guitar’s Caramel color has a more yellowy tint in it then the website photo indicates. Almost a darker TV Yellow color. I’m really digging it. No blemishes and the paint has been applied light enough to still see the grain of the Ash. Frets were properly dressed, no rough edges. Intonation was spot on, no buzz or dead spots on the fretboard. Tuners surprised me, they were much better than I expected. Gears were smooth and tuning was easy although the high E string was subject to going out of tune after moderate playing. Probably will still replace will Grover Rotomatics. The stock strings left black ‘guk’ all over my fingers like every Asian made guitar I’ve ever bought (what the hell is going on in the factories over there? Are the workers blowing cigarette smoke onto the guitar?). Strings will be quickly replaced with Snake Oil Strings (Rock 10s LH). I took off the pick guard and saw that it was only routed for the mini neck pickup. A more universal rout (full HB size) would have been appreciated, but what do you expect for the price? I am curious if the P90 model which looks like a more traditional Jazzmaster has the real JM routing underneath the pickguard. I would love to pop in a replacement prewired JM pickguard from Rothstein Guitars. If I could do that, I would definitely buy 2 or 3 of the P90 models right off that bat and I know LOTS of other JazzMaster lovers who would do the same thing. Hint…Hint… Jay.

Sounds/Playability: 8…The ‘Telemaster’ as it’s being affectionately called is appropriately being marketed as a hybrid. It can cover a lot of ground depending on what amp you play it through and what pedal board setup your using. This was my first introduction to GFS pickups. I must admit to being somewhat of a pickup snob and wasn’t expecting much out of $33 pickups. That said, I LOVED the Alnico Fatbody bridge pickup. Clean, it’s got the Tele vibe with less searing highs and a little more edge. That’s a good thing to my ears. It was clear and articulate with plenty of output through my Hayseed 30 VOX clone and distorted nicely through my Orange AD30. Surprising to me, was how nicely it cleaned up with just the volume knob. By setting my amps on the edge of breaking up, I could manipulate the volume knob and get two very useable sounds out of the Fatbody pickup. That pickup is staying put without a doubt. I wasn’t as enthusiastic about Crunchy Mini (CM) in the neck. I really didn’t care for the CM in the neck position when playing through a clean amp. It sounded too muffled and the pickup’s output was not evenly matched to the Fatbody so there was a noticeable volume difference when switching between the bridge and neck pickups. I was able to tinker with my amp and EQ pedal to get a sound I liked out the CM, but in a live setting this is not a pickup I would use with my amps. I was able to get more useable sounds out of the CM in the neck position through a distorted amp and liked it at times with both pickups on (middle postion). I’m going to spend a little more time with this pickup, but I see myself eventually replacing it for a more versatile pickup for my musical style. Unfortunately, I will have to do some routing to get a full size HB in there. The guitar itself is quite solid and heavy! When I read it was made of Ash, I was thinking Swamp Ash and expected it to be much lighter. It must be Hard Ash hence the weight. It weighs in at a whopping 10.7 pounds! More than my Agile Les Paul. I actually prefer heavier guitars and this one resonates beautifully unplugged and sustains nicely through an amp. It sits well balanced on a strap with no nose dive. Thank God, if it fell on my foot it would break it for sure.

Conclusions: 9...If you are thinking about ordering one, Run, don’t walk to your computer and order one of these new offset guitars from Jay at Guitar Fetish before they are sold out. At these prices, they are a steal and they will not last long I’m sure. They are very playable as a stock guitar and you can easily do some inexpensive upgrades (tuners, other pickups) to make them even better or to suit your needs. I’m a happy camper. Pictures of the Telemaster guitar can be found on my website at www.thequahaugs.com then click on the ‘Gear Pics’ page.

Eternal ClamNation,
Kaika
 
Last edited:
That 10.7 lbs is not making me very happy though. I've sold guitars for being that heavy, and that one is going to be my primary gig backup for now. I was also hoping for a swimming pool route to make adding a middle pickup easy, but that is not to be. But at that price I am more inclined to try the route myself....

Also the above poster added this morning that the neck Minihum sounded better through his 6L6 amp than the EL84 based ones. Jay from Guitar Fetish Said this about the Mini-humbucker...

"That pickup was designed with a 66 4-10 Super Reverb- and through THAT amp it's the best mini I've ever heard- It's NOT the really thin sounding minis like on the 60's Epiphones- so you may need to back down the gain a bit or it will sound way, way too dark.

Give it a chance... I think it's a really good sounding pickup but you have to learn how to dial in the right tones- and to balance your pickup heights to get a reasonable in-between sound too.

So really to everyone who tries these- try a little bit of patience- I know the "five minutes out of the box" reaction is what we all love- But I spent 9 months winding protos to get to that pickup- and I think under the right conditions it does a really wonderful thing.
"
 
Last edited:
Three lovely words...:grin:

OUT FOR DELIVERY

But....

There MUST be an adult present to sign for them, and my HS sons have a tryout for the school musical after school that lasts until 4:30PM. :mad:

Generally our UPS stuff shows up around 5:embarrassed:0 so it will be close. I am having my wife check if the UPS guy will let her sign for them at her office (on the same route with the same delivery person). Unfortunately the lady driver who had our UPS route and knew my wife (Stella) is on a different route now and I'm not sure if this new guy will do that for her.
 
Three lovely words...:grin:

OUT FOR DELIVERY

But....

There MUST be an adult present to sign for them, and my HS sons have a tryout for the school musical after school that lasts until 4:30PM. :mad:

Generally our UPS stuff shows up around 5:embarrassed:0 so it will be close. I am having my wife check if the UPS guy will let her sign for them at her office (on the same route with the same delivery person). Unfortunately the lady driver who had our UPS route and knew my wife (Stella) is on a different route now and I'm not sure if this new guy will do that for her.

Its almost 5, i hope you were able to pull it off. :thu:
 
Back
Top