Mojo Request Willy is sick

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
We’re at the avian vet now.
Hour and a half highway drive.

They’ve already got him in an oxygen tank.

Birdy mojo, please.
 
Prognosis is not great.
We’re giving him a day of treatment and if there’s significant improvement, he can handle more diagnostics. We’ll decide what to do once we see how he responds to oxygen and antibiotics.
We had to leave him there.

IMG_2886.jpeg


He’ll get a bigger and more comfortable spot for the night and the oxygen will continue.

We got to take him out of this box for a bit and handle him before we left.

They’ll notify us if anything goes the wrong way. Otherwise we’ll get an update in the morning.
No news is good news at this point.
 
Prognosis is not great.
We’re giving him a day of treatment and if there’s significant improvement, he can handle more diagnostics. We’ll decide what to do once we see how he responds to oxygen and antibiotics.
We had to leave him there.

View attachment 89379

He’ll get a bigger and more comfortable spot for the night and the oxygen will continue.

We got to take him out of this box for a bit and handle him before we left.

They’ll notify us if anything goes the wrong way. Otherwise we’ll get an update in the morning.
No news is good news at this point.

I just want to say I liked the second part of this post, not so much the first. It's neat how he looks at your hand , can tell there's a bomd there.
 
Morning update from the vet.

Willy has responded well to oxygen, but is still having trouble breathing normally.
The vet says that it’s not actually a respiratory problem, but something else in his guts that is swollen and pressing up against his lungs.

They did what they call and x-Ray in a box, where they get a general scan looking for heavy metal deposits or indications of being egg-bound.
Technically, Willy is a Wilma. These birds are monomorphic. There’s no easy way to determine gender and females may never lay an egg. Willy has.

He’ll stay there for the day and see how he progresses. If he gets more stable, they might look at other diagnostics.
Those diagnostics might be more invasive and risk his chances. They will be stressful for sure.

My thought is that if the next step will ONLY give us more information but not improve his chances, then I’ll refuse.
If it can lead to a treatment and that treatment isn’t too risky or will hurt him too much, and the prognosis is good, I’ll go ahead.

We’ll either hear of any changes during the day or get an update at 7PM.
 
Back
Top