What are you guys practicing this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I'm just gearing up to do guitars for the album starting next week and review for a gig on Saturday.
 
I've actually been learning the solo in "Stairway to Heaven"..:embarrassed: I used to just busk through it with a few of the signature licks, but wanted to get it down note for note..or 99% anyway. I find Jimmy Page really hard to copy, I always end up "tidying up" his phrasing. :embarrassed:
 
I've been working on Stray Cat Strut by The Stray Cats. It let's me use my Bigsby (to the disgust of many Weiners, I know. :)) I have most of it down - now it's just refining my playing. I need to get my playing smoother and eliminate the clams.
 
Building up the set list.... working on "Everybody Talks" Neon Trees, "Killing Me Softly" Fugees, "Live High" Jason Mraz, and "Locked Out of Heaven" Bruno Mars.
 
I've barely touched a guitar in three weeks - but I need to learn three new songs for the band so I have been listening to them over and over again to get them into my head before I even start playing them. They all sound pretty easy to learn though. I got voted into singing the Neon Trees song. After repeated listenings I have gravitated from 'I don't like that song' to 'I'm meh about the song'. I can see the attraction as a dance song. But if we do it multiple times and no one is dancing I gonna vote we drop the sucker.

Evenflow - Pearl Jam

Everybody Talks - Neon Trees

If Only You Could See - Tonic
 
Dave, I want to thank you for bitching about having to sing that one. :wink: :tongue:


I looked up the vid a day or two later... and the song stuck with me over my vacation, so I sat down and learned it. I'm digging it and will play it at our gig in a few weeks. I'll report back on how well it goes over.
 
Dave, I want to thank you for bitching about having to sing that one. :wink: :tongue:


I looked up the vid a day or two later... and the song stuck with me over my vacation, so I sat down and learned it. I'm digging it and will play it at our gig in a few weeks. I'll report back on how well it goes over.

I will probably go over well. When I was listening to it in the living room on Saturday my 16 year old daughter was walking about bopping her head to the beat. It does have a strong hook - it's just not really my vocal style at all. I could do a killer job on the Tonic song but our main singer wants to do that one.
 
I'm just woodshedding right now. I've gotta get tunes ready to both record and perform in the enxt two weeks.
 
Still trying to knock The Blower's Daughter out on guitar/vocals, but now that the floor is in my drums sound GREAT. I'll be practicing drums a lot more.


Sent from my iPhone at a Tijuana donkey show.
 
havent really touched a guitar in several days.
was s'posed to start work on a cover the other day, but drank beer instead.
 
Do you guys do this? The other night I was working on a Zac Brown song.... but when I shifted a chord around it was like two chords of "name that tune"... I was quickly sidetracked and within a few minutes I had figured out "Stray Cat Strut" and I still don't know that Zac Brown song. :embarrassed:


So tonight, I'm messing about with a Jason Mraz song that I love the chords but it's going to take a while to learn all the words. I've really been into 70's tunes with cool chords and shifts... and voila.... I'm playing "Easy" from the Commodores. I'm really digging this tune so I'm sure I'll be adding that one to the set list before Stray Cat Strut....




... and probably before that damned Zac Brown song too. :embarrassed: :helper:
 
I've actually been learning the solo in "Stairway to Heaven"..:embarrassed: I used to just busk through it with a few of the signature licks, but wanted to get it down note for note..or 99% anyway. I find Jimmy Page really hard to copy, I always end up "tidying up" his phrasing. :embarrassed:


And I'm learning the rest of it...
 
Do you guys do this? The other night I was working on a Zac Brown song.... but when I shifted a chord around it was like two chords of "name that tune"... I was quickly sidetracked and within a few minutes I had figured out "Stray Cat Strut" and I still don't know that Zac Brown song. :embarrassed:


So tonight, I'm messing about with a Jason Mraz song that I love the chords but it's going to take a while to learn all the words. I've really been into 70's tunes with cool chords and shifts... and voila.... I'm playing "Easy" from the Commodores. I'm really digging this tune so I'm sure I'll be adding that one to the set list before Stray Cat Strut....




... and probably before that damned Zac Brown song too. :embarrassed: :helper:


If its the Zac Brown song I was supposed to learn and vetoed a few months ago I can see why you'd have been sidetracked :embarrassed:
 
If its the Zac Brown song I was supposed to learn and vetoed a few months ago I can see why you'd have been sidetracked :embarrassed:

It's "Where the Boat Leaves From". It's the vocal part that I haven't put the time into... other than that, I's a 4 chord song.

We already do "Knee Deep".

If it's "Chicken Fried" that you were asked to learn, then I'm so sorry for you. :tongue:
 
Back
Top