Weekend wrapup

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Caught up on sleep. Played at a mall today.

IMG_7983.jpeg
IMG_7988.jpeg
IMG_7987.jpeg
IMG_7982.jpeg
IMG_7976.jpeg
IMG_7971.jpeg
 
Lotsa naps.

Kids came over on Sunday for an early St Nicholas day.
We pre-ordered pizza and wings and they delivered early. So, the owner re-delivered the food for free again at our specified time.
It was unexpected, but great service.

I got a new mug. I think someone is trying to tell me something.
IMG_2803.jpeg
 
Friday night we went to a show, it was one Mrs. Roach wanted to see and it turned out to be very cool indeed. It was Joaquin Cortes - "The King of Flamenco." Ol' Joaquin himself is a dancer, and an amazing one at that. But the best part was the music. He had a band with about a dozen musicos in it, plus a handful of singer/clapper/hollerers, and man did they cook! Very rhythm-centric, and pretty much authentic flamenco (as best as I can judge as just a casual fan of the genre). So the atmosphere was mysterious, sometimes scary, like weather. Just really great, and a nice surprise. We were really close to the action too.

So I didn't head up to the San Marcos place until Saturday morning. Spent the afternoon frantically trying to take care of a whole weekend of to-do crap, and also cooked tasty carnitas. Sunday played golf and then turned right around and drove back to Houston.

And of course played a lot of guitar.

I didn't get any pics of the show, so here's a sailor's delight for ya:

SMTX.jpg
 
Friday night we went to a show, it was one Mrs. Roach wanted to see and it turned out to be very cool indeed. It was Joaquin Cortes - "The King of Flamenco." Ol' Joaquin himself is a dancer, and an amazing one at that. But the best part was the music. He had a band with about a dozen musicos in it, plus a handful of singer/clapper/hollerers, and man did they cook! Very rhythm-centric, and pretty much authentic flamenco (as best as I can judge as just a casual fan of the genre). So the atmosphere was mysterious, sometimes scary, like weather. Just really great, and a nice surprise. We were really close to the action too.

So I didn't head up to the San Marcos place until Saturday morning. Spent the afternoon frantically trying to take care of a whole weekend of to-do crap, and also cooked tasty carnitas. Sunday played golf and then turned right around and drove back to Houston.

And of course played a lot of guitar.

I didn't get any pics of the show, so here's a sailor's delight for ya:

View attachment 88181

 
Haven't been here much lately, but here's some pics from the Capitol Theater in NY a few weeks ago. Really been digging the Reverend guitar that came my way a few months ago.
 

Attachments

  • artsgala23-1348_53345150010_o.jpg
    artsgala23-1348_53345150010_o.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 149
  • artsgala23-1092_53345163440_o.jpg
    artsgala23-1092_53345163440_o.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 165
  • artsgala23-1308_53343838322_o.jpg
    artsgala23-1308_53343838322_o.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 162
  • artsgala23-1312_53343838147_o.jpg
    artsgala23-1312_53343838147_o.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 182
Saturday: Went for my long run early. It was not that cold (about 18 degrees), but there was a wind and when I was running into the wind it was nasty, so I shortened the run (to 3 miles). I do not like frostbite, no I do not. Later that morning I went to Guitar Center and bought my Step-daughter a cheap Akai keyboard. Her 'not-a-boyfriend' (she is not allowed to date yet, but she lives on the ragged edge of the rule) is a musician (clarinet & piano. He is in the local youth symphony so he is quite good) so she has decided to take up piano again. I'm not crazy about her choices at this point (BF is too all encompassing this early on - her fault not his), but the keyboard was cheap. Did chores the rest of the day.

Sunday: Played electric at church. While I was there we got 3"of snow, so I had to shovel in the afternoon. Errands the rest of the day.
 
The usual weekend morning rides and subsequent naps. I put up some of the outdoor Christmas decorations, but screwed up my calf muscle while running power cords, so no rooftop lights this year. Mrs. T made a big pot of ham and navy beans to enjoy. We celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary Sunday.
 
Congrats! @Tig

Lots of arranging and mixing and a bit of guitar playing. Spent some time training the dog as well which is a lot more fun than I had imagined!

Last week @Chad recommended the Les Trem, so I ordered one and it arrived today. Gotta say this is pretty cool. Very easy to install, I mean even I could do it, and the action is, I'd say, somewhere between a Bigsby and a Jag/JM system. So far I'm very pleased.

ADCreHdV6A2bX0WZDOkFruiGNPUwMAlmkC8rseCSpyN3ofeBlDpAOB1Z7hPPYtP1WZmFlfdiJKUrjN6kE-XbfsiNYcW02EFA3WJBVU-tU-32GdeBKF8WAGLRJfO62VA8SWIAnMIinF77cq7m8ByXo5dCsgkkq7cweNEu6h5lUkpwxdXrBmYBtZDt2WskE8NpfwihKebrfnf3TYRttdJLtqwAcasGr95zTi9kVTkqSVp7-l3Za0Y5a2VdyxlrLK0xH9lg4oGgGq2Jt7vDqg7tImmiYnYobKjgrBVENxYhcD3c3EoZomtjyvwcdcV2RT5gqGxeNB7trzAVkNSAxQ22e3vcARcDVlSQKz87PVK-0O04Pw6JFkBf7QC1UPttiOS8G_nyHnweCI-FYLM7nyWtXWqDulWZUB2Oz0PCFdX9z1VTZJauddqNJaPDRSd0gqUJu4sQMq-IlCvr305qxAMJqc4ds1IrHp348SKnp5mxNvGW43V3pClQjJCHm8ZeKXVG7kNu64EQWdoD7iUr5yJ_UGUv3ggiHsjHwqH_I_2SsYEhzbSpYn5R7xhIusVgjEw_7IdrU4gd-b8YVcRxNEDA51vz7k-Ag-uTEX968tDasl6L__7tU1Ycct580xr35Vnkg2Ss0T_KhnH0j_25cTA-NscN-fAtXBH-4ouJaf_30l1nTZDakvsBDvMjvyjXiTIEopHB1PPoCu3eecRucWxd-W_eWnwX2SdCKT9VQP1FoCuDeZJg5PapsarsVuswNXE_3YNUFEDvge0Gbw8K-hNk2ewWSq9e38jlXIxFxl9m8dGXNneoFFxHYzwP3WjJFP9moR7FHDMjU5WbgjkeIEyFz62DDKNnTMwteXm8kNlysIcrcUkLP3DDXt2-oa0-5VMWiNb4M-UiUA=w1608-h1206-s-no-gm


The guitar stays in tune nicely even with new strings, but in my experience the particular type of trem (Strat, Bigsby or Jag) matters far less than keeping the nut lubed, always tuning up and pulling the strings and then fine-tuning again. The old Lester is now a proper twangster, and I can't wait to record something with this!
 
Had a really nice one.

Friday: had guys in replacing the windows and knocking in a new french door all week. Got home on Friday and they'd finished up and it's looking great.

Went to see Madness and the Lightning Seeds with my wife, dad and a friend. Not the best I've seen Madness and too much new album stuff but it was still a fun night.

Rude bartender messed up and undercharged me so I got 2 free beers that were £7 each so :embarrassed:

Saturday Mrs JBJ was out with a friend so I picked up Lola from my mother in laws and took her a nice long walk in the snow. Went for a few beers, made a curry,had a bottle of wine in the bath then vegged out waiting on her getting home.

Sunday: off to the football. Middling performance but we won.
 
Congrats @Tig . We are approaching year 30. A bit better than the first one that lasted officially 3 years but actually about 10 months :mad:

Got some security cameras over black friday and got one of them set up and testing over the weekend. It's primarily so we have some idea of what's going on when we are up in the PNW during the summer months. Fun toy to play with for a while. Went to the gym for the first time in 3 1/2+ years today after all the COVID and other interruptions. I'm expecting to be quite sore tomorrow. Fortunately I checked my route there on google maps last night and found out that my preferred gym closes more than 6 months ago :facepalm: so went to another one that is new but closer to home so less riding time if I go regularly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tig
Back
Top