View from the front door about five minutes ago.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Living in Albuquerque is occasionally a trip. I happen to live under the flight path most of the balloons take and it's a little surreal. My work desk is right next to the kitchen window, but it's too cold to have the window open so I didn't hear it first. Then I glance up and HOLYJEEZOMG IT'S GONNA LAND ON MY CAR. As it turns out he was parking it in a vacant lot a couple of hundred yards up the street.

DSC_0003.jpg
 
Cool. I've never seen hot air balloons where I live.

We get lots of blimps, mostly covering golf and polo events.
 
I went on a balloon ride once. It was really great.

So whisper quiet you can hear conversations on the ground. And you are moving at the same speed as the breeze, so it really is a surreal feeling.
 
WE have a fair number of balloons that launch from a state park about 5 miles from our house so we see them all the time as well. I have never been in one, but Mrs D always wanted to ride in one so I bought her a hot air balloon ride a couple of Mothers Days ago. She loved it!
 
:cool: I've been on one a couple of times in Egypt..really nice experience...though they recently had some fatal accidents there :(
 
IMG_1037.JPG



Very peaceful. It was really neat to see all the animals react to the sound of the burners and scatter suddenly...great big owls in the trees, deer in the fields, foxes, etc.
 
When I was a kid, we used to live not far from an estate that used to host balloon races. They'd get balloons from all over the place. Saw Malcolm Forbes Harley balloon a few times fly over our house.



IMG_1040_b.JPG
 
What would you have heard with the window open?

They're quite loud. It's a relatively quiet neighborhood and on warmer days with the windows open you can hear the burners firing long before you see the balloons. It's a very distinctive sound and not one you'll mistake for anything else — it's essentially a giant flamethrower.
 
Last edited:
Cool to have one so close!

We have the annual Ballunar Liftoff Festival that is next to Rocket Park in NASA. It makes for a great weekend around here.

4e9df8d1e625a.image.jpg

hoolahoop.jpg


InsideRight.jpg
RocketParkAsc9.jpg

EPOT1012.jpg


jsc2009e225895.jpg
 
Back
Top