the 101 best-selling books of all time

I can name three that aren't on that list that have probably outsold all of those combined. List fail.

Well, yeah, they left off the Koran, Bible, etc so I'm guessing it's a forum-friendly list so people don't get ban-hammered :tongue:
 
Ugh. 14.

Pillars of the Earth was great though. I should read that again. :embarrassed:
 
Well, yeah, they left off the Koran, Bible, etc so I'm guessing it's a forum-friendly list so people don't get ban-hammered :tongue:

:grin:

I wonder how many copies of the Torah are floating around? It's been in print for, what, 24,000 years?
And the Tao Te Ching dates back to the 6th century bc and there's like a billion Chinese people, so that one probably gets the top spot.
 
I wonder how many copies of the Torah are floating around? It's been in print for, what, 24,000 years?

Nothing was "in print" pre-Gutenberg.

But scholarly consensus is that the Pentateuch was composed within a couple of hundred years of The Iliad, give or take, so in the 2600-2900 year range.

That's the historical/archaeological perspective, anyway. I have no problem with people holding two competing beliefs in their head at the same time.
 
Nothing was "in print" pre-Gutenberg.

But scholarly consensus is that the Pentateuch was composed within a couple of hundred years of The Iliad, give or take, so in the 2600-2900 year range.

That's the historical/archaeological perspective, anyway. I have no problem with people holding two competing beliefs in their head at the same time.

Wait til you see St. Cuthbert's caricature of you in next month's "Monk's Tattler." It won't be kind.

Medieval%2Bwriting%2Bdesk.jpg
 
Woodcut printing was used for pamphlets and short stuff like that, and images, obviously, but the earliest known block books were printed after the Gutenberg Bible.
 
52 -Love You Forever-That book makes mothers weep endlessly. How simple a tale of child birth though parent death can do that.

Er...there isn't an emoticon for that.
 
37.

I'm surprised how many of those books I read as a kid raiding my mom's giant stash of cheapo paperbacks. Love Story, Jaws, The Godfather, The Naked Ape, The Hite Report :embarrassed:, The Exorcist and a bunch of other things I would never had read unless I had been bored, broke and desperate.
 
The Godfather was solid enough. Maybe not deserving here, but considering the impact the movie had, and this is best selling, it was a decent book.
 
The Godfather was solid enough. Maybe not deserving here, but considering the impact the movie had, and this is best selling, it was a decent book.

I think the list is strictly units sold and not a claim to greatness. The movie probably boosted book sales a great deal.
 
Back
Top