Some products worth hearing about from Summer NAMM 2011 with my reviews and pics!

marc758

stardog champion
I talked to Mike Stone (great name considering his product) at Stone Work Picks (www.StoneWorksPicks.com). While I thought the picks were beautiful, I didn't really see myself as the type of person that would spend $25 on a pick. But I tried a couple, and I have changed my mind. I like a thick pick anyway, but I was weary the slick surface would move and slide out of my fingers too easily, but that is not the case. In fact, as your fingers warm the stone the pick sticks and stays in place wonderfully.

I think every player that likes experimenting with tonal varieties should check this out. My wife always complains that she doesn't know what to get me as a gift because she doesn't know what strings I need or use, what effects pedal that I need and so on. This would make the perfect gift for a guitar player.

My only regret is that Mike offered me a package deal on a necklace, pick holder and pick, but I lost track of time with the 4:embarrassed:0pm ending on Saturday and didn't get to take him up on it. Here are some pics I took of my picks.

sw1.JPG


sw2.JPG


sw3.JPG


sw4.JPG


sw5.JPG


sw6.JPG
 
A while back, Patrick of AxeGlove (www.AxeGlove.com), contributed an AxeGlove to a raffle I was involved in at HCEG. So when I saw him at NAMM I introduced myself so we could put faces with our avatars. I also took the opportunity to take a look at the AxeGlove close up. At first, I was kind of skeptical about the practical use of the product. But after getting one and putting it on one of my favorite guitars, my Les Paul Classic Goldtop, I totally get it. I have kids, and when I'm playing at home, especially with the toddler, he sometimes swings his toys at my guitar while I'm playing. The AxeGlove made me breathe a little easier. It also was really comfortable and did not hinder my playing or accessibility at all. If anything, it actually
made my guitar more comfortable. We spend a small fortune on our guitars, I highly recommend this small investment in helping take care of your guitar.

ag1.JPG


ag2.JPG


ag3.JPG


ag4.JPG


ag5.JPG


ag6.JPG


ag7.JPG


ag8.JPG


ag9.JPG


ag10.JPG
 
One of the coolest things I had never seen before at NAMM was the Pick Punch (www.pickpunch.com). This easy to use punch, the size of a stapler will punch a pick out of credit cards, plastic and even old picks. It comes in a regular size pick punch and a Jazz pick style punch. I got a Jazz pick style and when I got home from NAMM got a kick out of punching interesting picks out of old cards. Also, I still had some of my old Dunlop picks that were worn that I used before discovering Jazz III picks years ago. As you can see in the pics, I punched a Jazz style pick out of my old Dunlop. How cool is that? And at $25, it doesn't put a hurting on your wallet. I love mine and can't wait to experiment with different textures and cards.

pp1.JPG


pp2.JPG


pp3.JPG


pp4.JPG


pp5.JPG


pp6.JPG


pp7.JPG
 
I have been playing guitar for 25 years and feel like I'm familiar with most products. I have a couple of capos and like how using a capo sometimes makes the guitar feel fresh and new. Also, working with singers, it is an easy way to play in a key they prefer, especially when working in an acoustic duo. I have to admit though, that I have been using the same brand of capo for as long as I've been playing. That brand is a common brand and works adequately. But after taking a moment to talk to Gary Mobley at SHUBB capos (www.shubb.com), I am a little ashamed that I haven't given my capo more thought. The SHUBB capo allows for the player to adjust the pressure for the "sweet spot" of compressing the strings to create the artificial bridge without pressing so hard as to make the strings go out of tune. It is easy to use and fits really well on the neck. With varying neck
sizes, I really appreciate the adjust-ability and see where the "one size fits all" approach doesn't always work the best. My SHUBB capo is one of my new favorite guitar tools for sound.

sc1.JPG


sc2.JPG


sc3.JPG


sc4.JPG


sc5.JPG


sc6.JPG


sc7.JPG


sc8.JPG


sc9.JPG
 
My eight year old son gets a kick out of "little books." So when I saw the pocket sized Ron Centola's Guitar Chord Reference Book (www.miniatureguitarbooks.com) I had to stop and check it out. I was surprised to find a very useful tool. The book is obviously small which makes it easy to take anywhere. I like to sometimes go camping with my guitar, or just get away from everyone and everything and work on new music. I can see how having this small chord reference would be fun to have during those times when I find myself playing the same beaten paths that I always play and need an idea for an exotic chord structure. The book is well made and uses a special process so that the pages stay intact. And for as little as it cost, you can't go wrong.

gcd1.JPG


gcd2.JPG


gcd3.JPG


gcd4.JPG


gcd5.JPG


gcd6.JPG
 
At the show, a friend of mine came up to me and put a V-pick (www.v-picks.com) in my hand to check out. He was holding one in his hand and showing me how it stuck to his fingers. So I set out to find the exhibit and check them out. As these picks warm up in your fingers, they stick and are less likely to be dropped or to "drift" out of place as you strum. The rep also showed me a very large and thick pick that she said was more than just a novelty. She said that players with arthritis and joint problems had found that large pick to allow them to be able to play again with less pain. Definitely a pick I would suggest checking out.

vp1.JPG


vp2.JPG


vp3.JPG


vp4.JPG
 
Walking around at NAMM were two ladies with these large amulets around their necks. After talking with them, I was shown that this amulet was a MusiCreed Amulet musical calculator (www.musicreed.com), which can be used to teach hundreds of scales and modes from both western and eastern music by turning the dial. It is well made and very interesting. It comes with a set of plastic cards that explain how to use it. I dig mine.

mca1.JPG


mca2.JPG


mca3.JPG


mca4.JPG
 
Another mentionable was the Johnny Eleca guitars (888-463-5322). These guitars are imports, but well above the quality of mass produced imports and on par with quality American instruments, in my opinion. They also weren't just a case of imitation, but had several notable qualities that Michael O'Lee, marketing manager, took his time in showing me, like the rollers in the bridge. I played one and really liked it. The fit, finish and attention to detail were impressive. And that they were $399 including a hard-shell case was even more impressive.

249392_262165167131717_100000147084535_1226336_3683270_n.jpg


184056_262165197131714_100000147084535_1226337_3455531_n.jpg


252132_262165223798378_100000147084535_1226338_7239005_n.jpg


284510_262165233798377_100000147084535_1226339_6019396_n.jpg


215149_262165257131708_100000147084535_1226340_1561185_n.jpg


252192_262165287131705_100000147084535_1226341_8361355_n.jpg


267348_262165320465035_100000147084535_1226342_6010284_n.jpg


226125_262165350465032_100000147084535_1226343_8385668_n.jpg


224559_262165410465026_100000147084535_1226344_992647_n.jpg


206097_262165427131691_100000147084535_1226345_6725286_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
There was no missing the excitement and goofing around from the guys at the Ego-Rizer (www.ego-rizer.com). Especially giving away stickers that read, "Wanna see my Money Shot?" and "Check out my 10" Extension." The Ego-Rizer is a small riser that will fit most any stage and gives the player their moment in the spot light at the touch of a toe button.

229630_262162103798690_100000147084535_1226227_7377641_n.jpg
 
I got a kick out of the "hand" guitar hangers (www.guitargrip.com). These came in stock varieties and the elaborately carved and hand painted customs. The custom grips had impressive amount of detail. Definitely an eye catcher at NAMM and most anywhere else you would see one holding a guitar.

270018_262163990465168_100000147084535_1226295_6284800_n.jpg


188306_262164030465164_100000147084535_1226296_7199694_n.jpg


249364_262164047131829_100000147084535_1226297_799398_n.jpg


228844_262164080465159_100000147084535_1226298_281608_n.jpg


284950_262164107131823_100000147084535_1226299_137763_n.jpg
 
It was easy to take time to talk to Rob Timmons of Arcane Inc. (www.arcane-inc.com) because of the assortment of Trussart guitars featuring his Arcane pickups, that he had with him. If you have ever heard a Trussart, you know they sound as good as they look. While many of us hope to afford a Trussart at some point, we can get close to the tone with Arcane pickups. Rob has been in the biz for a long time and worked with some very impressive artists and builders. The next time I'm looking for a pickup upgrade, I will be taking a look at Arcane.

284085_262162390465328_100000147084535_1226237_2957011_n.jpg


184054_262162400465327_100000147084535_1226238_164463_n.jpg


215147_262162427131991_100000147084535_1226239_3363962_n.jpg


284617_262162450465322_100000147084535_1226240_4305902_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
:thu: I've seen those V Picks at Namm for the past few years. I was always meh about them until this year. They've got some new sizes, and a few of them are right in the sweet spot.
 
David Abner's guitars (www.bitemeguitars.com) caught my eye not because of their aggressive name, Bite Me, but because they reminded me of the old school Kramers that it seemed like most every notable musician was playing in the 80's. David told me that the Kramer reference didn't insult him and was one of the guitars that he admired from years ago. I played a Bite Me through a small Orange Amp that he had set up at his exhibit. His guitar played great and sounded excellent. A minimalist approach with tonal results. If you are into super strats, there is a lot to like about the Bite Me Guitars.

249270_262163643798536_100000147084535_1226285_4780076_n.jpg


283080_262228767125357_100000147084535_1226521_5784204_n.jpg


283030_262163557131878_100000147084535_1226282_335393_n.jpg
 
One of the last people I talked with at the event was Matt Summy of Hanser Music Group, which is the parent company of B.C. Rich and many other well known brands. When I think of B.C. Rich, I think of 80's bands, and metal bands. And what initially caught my eye was a neon green guitar that reminded me in a nostalgic way of the 80's. I also remember that period in the 80's when the quality of B.C. Rich guitars wasn't very good. Matt was very enthusiastic in showing me how my past thoughts of B.C. Rich is far from where the company is these days. If you dig those wild B.C. Rich body styles then you owe it to yourself to check out how well these guitars are made today. Matt even showed me some of the custom painting that is going on at B.C. Rich on his iPhone. I came away with a new appreciation of the company and what they are doing.

284124_262165863798314_100000147084535_1226360_7318349_n.jpg


263252_262165877131646_100000147084535_1226361_8141865_n.jpg


228837_262165933798307_100000147084535_1226363_4447287_n.jpg


229679_262165963798304_100000147084535_1226364_1175364_n.jpg


250165_262166003798300_100000147084535_1226366_8084113_n.jpg


281251_262166030464964_100000147084535_1226367_2080572_n.jpg


223068_262166073798293_100000147084535_1226368_1974313_n.jpg


223642_262166097131624_100000147084535_1226369_4597566_n.jpg
 
:thu: I've seen those V Picks at Namm for the past few years. I was always meh about them until this year. They've got some new sizes, and a few of them are right in the sweet spot.

Yeah, I'm picky about picks, as I love Jazz III's. But like you said, with the different sizes I found one that I liked a lot.

Thanks for the reporting, Marc. Well done.

The stone picks look cool. I may have to get one.

EG

Thanks EG! I'm not just blowing smoke, I really dig these picks. I chose the smaller Jazz style picks, but they come in regular size too. The necklace pick holder is really cool too.
 
any website info on the Johnny Eleca guitars? i can't find anything other than the other Eleca company, and their products are shit.
 
Excellent coverage, Marc. :thu: Thanks for taking the time to write all of this up and posting some great photos.
 
I like my V-pick a lot, but I'd like a thinner one, with a bigger size... the arthritis thing is 100% true. I'd also like one of those monster hand grips for my living room! :cool:

But most of all, you gave me GAS for the turquoise girl's scale calculator! :love:
 
Back
Top