So much for hoping for a drama-free year...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
2015, 2016, and 2017 were all pretty dramatic years for me, with people close to me dying, weight loss surgery, selling my house, changing jobs, totaling a car, and some self-inflicted personal drama brought on by some questionable lifestyle choices...I went into 2018 hoping to be able to go 12 months without any major upheavals...

That hope was dashed less than a week into January when my sister-in-law passed, but I soldiered on hoping that that was going to be the last...

In July the owner of the auto parts store I work in passed away after a long battle with colo-rectal cancer...while that sucked it really didn't change much in my day-to-day life...His wife Debbie was running the business and we carried on pretty much as before...

At 2:30 this afternoon Debbie Sisco, owner and sole proprietor of Sisco Auto Parts, died...she is without any legal heirs, and as far as we can tell was not able to complete a new will, leaving only her last will from 1995, which named her late husband as her sole heir...

I'm no expert on estate law, but I think the employees of Sisco Auto Parts are pretty much fucked...we're going to keep opening the place and doing whatever business we can, but I have no idea how long we can maintain that before the legal stuff rears it's ugly head...plus, getting paid would be nice...

Anyway, I can see no positive outcome from this...

Peace...
 
Did they have any close relatives?

I'm no law expert, but without a will doesn't the estate normally go to the closest next-of-kin? Oldest child, oldest brother/sister...that sort of thing?
 
I honestly don’t think there’s been a year since 2007 where there wasn’t a death or serious health crisis in my family. Thanks Obama.

Life is messy as fuck. But hey, it’s not all a drag.
 
i'm not a lawyer, but it seems that maybe the employees should get together and hire a lawyer, with the possibility that if there are no heirs the employees might petition the court to buy the company and continue on.
just a suggestion, you should talk to a lawyer about it anyway, because if there is an heir, they may not want the company anyway.
 
Mojo. I am not a lawyer where you are, so cannot give advice, as I am not licensed there. That said, if the business is one that could be sold, as a going concern, the estate may have an interest in selling it to someone to bring money into the estate to distribute to heirs, whomever they may be. The absence of an updated will might may make it a little harder, but the will may have had some provisions in case the spouse predeceased. My wills (not in that state) all do. Someone will need to figure all that out. And of course it all takes time, and meanwhile the company needs to operate. So, . . . I hope there is a family member or someone around with an interest in figuring it out.

None of the above was legal advice, and my blathering on about it does not create an attorney/client relationship, and other cya stuff. I sure hope things work out for you.
 
Last edited:
Mojo Jelloman! I’m in somewhat the same situation in the near future.
I’ve been working for the same auto repair shop since 1993. As of last week of July I have been the only employee/mechanic....not that big a deal, in some ways I find it easier.....I’m a loner by nature anyway :embarrassed: besides that last year I did a stretch of 3 months solo so been there done that

My similarity though is the shop is up for sale. I have no idea when the time will come. In my case though my boss informed me I’ll be getting 4 or 5 weeks pay plus a lump sum of the sale of the business which might be 6 or 7 thousand, perhaps more.....also he reminded me (he mentioned it before) that since he and his wife have no children ( I was best buds with his son in hs and that’s how I got the job, his son died about ten years ago from cancer)...since they have no children they are gonna put me in the will....told me I’m like a son to them.

So anyway I’m loyal till the end here but terrified to have to job hunt after 25 years. It will be a mixed blessing though since I ducking HATE this business....cars suck as does the auto industry....so one door will close and another will open. If I have to do this job to pay bills I will but it’ll be a last resort . Looking forward to s change of career.....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Damn. That's terrible. Much Mojo.

The big "if" here, is if there is someone operating in a capacity that allows them the ability and access needed to cut payroll checks, pay vendor invoices, pay the utilities etc. Unless someone has been given said authority via power of attorney etc, I hate to tell you but... time to walk.

Not only will you not get paid, but the operation will grind to an ugly halt in short order. Expect to learn very quickly that any outside vendors or other parts houses have put you on "cash only" status. As soon as they learn of her passing, and in the absence of guarantees, they will yank your 30,60,90 day terms in a heartbeat.

I've seen this go down, and I've watched friends end up in bad spots because they tried to hang in with a business in this situation.

I'd be asking whomever you can, RIGHT NOW, if such a person exists.

More pedals than the Tour De France
 
Damn. That's terrible. Much Mojo.

The big "if" here, is if there is someone operating in a capacity that allows them the ability and access needed to cut payroll checks, pay vendor invoices, pay the utilities etc. Unless someone has been given said authority via power of attorney etc, I hate to tell you but... time to walk.

Not only will you not get paid, but the operation will grind to an ugly halt in short order. Expect to learn very quickly that any outside vendors or other parts houses have put you on "cash only" status. As soon as they learn of her passing, and in the absence of guarantees, they will yank your 30,60,90 day terms in a heartbeat.

I've seen this go down, and I've watched friends end up in bad spots because they tried to hang in with a business in this situation.

I'd be asking whomever you can, RIGHT NOW, if such a person exists.

More pedals than the Tour De France
This is what I was getting at. If those things are in place so the business can remain a going concern, maybe things will be fine. But if not, and if she did not get her will update, (well, no sense in speculating. Just ask, and get a good answer) . . . .
 
  • Like
Reactions: OGG
Back
Top