So I started P-90X this morning.

trill

Junior Mint
The wife got a burned set of the DVD's from a pal at work. She's doing the Lean program, I'm doing the Classic. Here's the infomercial for the uninitiated:


I got up at 5am and popped in the first disc: Chest, Arms, and Shoulders. Holy crap. I'm in decent shape, but my arms were totally blown after the first 8 or so sets of push-ups. I managed to finish the disc, but I had to take a puke break in the middle (which can probably be attributed to the early hour, lack of breakfast, and dehydration), and I did cheater pushups on my knees for the last quarter of the disc. I've still got the Ab Ripper X disc to do when I get home.

I can already tell that the program will give you some serious results if you stick with it. It lets you set your own goal in terms of reps and weight, and it keeps things moving and unpredictable. I have a tendency to get bored/fall into a rut with my workouts, but if I don't finish P-90X, it won't be due to that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...I tried to do all that last year, I barely lasted a week...way too intense for me...
 
A lot of my runner friends are doing that in the off season..... Seems like torture. I run because I like it.... That P-90X doesn't look 'fun' at all.......
 
I can tell I'm going to be pretty sore tomorrow. But I think the key is to do it at your own pace, and keep track of what you're doing so you can steadily improve. Waking up an hour earlier than usual wasn't hard, and this way I have my entire afternoon free, and I don't have to watch what I eat as much.
 
I've been contemplating that routine for a while now. Please keep us posted on your results. If it works well for you, I may go for it.
I finally got my Iron Gym pull-up bar out (didn't work with the door jambs in the new house, but I modified the one in the downstairs bathroom), so I'll again be incorporating chin-ups and a couple different hanging leg raises into my workout. And I start lifting today after a two-week holiday hiatus. I'm sure I'll be totally weak.
 
A lot of my runner friends are doing that in the off season..... Seems like torture. I run because I like it.... That P-90X doesn't look 'fun' at all.......

...thats why I stopped it, I'd rather run, or play some Basketball, or anything than do p-90X...
 
Your arems will be sore tomorrow - big time sore.

Just wate when he has you sitting against the wall, with your back against it and your knees at a 90 degree angle.... It really hurts!!

The Polymetrics isn't that bad - and believe it or not - the yoga one has you holding some positions that aren't that easy after all.

Are you using wieghts or the bands?
 
I contemplated doing that for a few days. But then I realized I couldn't drink as much if I did it.
 
I contemplated doing that for a few days. But then I realized I couldn't drink as much if I did it.

Huh? Why not? I can't get drunk during the week (5am alarm clock and all), but since I'm working out so hard I can consume more calories, which means more beer :grin:

Mic, if you're into lifting, and especially if you don't mind the pull-ups, you'd be retarded not to give P-90X a shot. We got our discs for free from a friend, but you can probably find them thru torrents or used from eBay. You don't have to do all the discs, or do them in the order suggested, but that's how you get maximum results.

At first I was just gonna do the yoga and cardio discs, but then I decided to work out in the mornings, and if I'm gonna bother getting up that early, I'm gonna go all-out. I think the key to this (and any other workout program) is to set clear, reasonable goals and stick to them. With this thing, you set the weight, number of reps, and pace, so you really can tailor it to whatever level of fitness you're currently at or looking to achieve.
 
Day 1 1/2: Did Ab Ripper X yesterday afternoon. Probably the most intense 16 minutes of exercise I've ever attempted. My hip flexors were blown after about 10 minutes - I kept doing the crunches/moves, but I could not keep my legs off the ground. My abs are only moderately sore today, but I'll probably feel it more tomorrow.

Day 2: Today was plyometrics. I did not find the exercises extremely difficult, but over the course of an hour it was a serious workout. No muscle fail this time, but I had a hard time keeping pace near the end. And I puked again, about halfway through. But I got back to it, and finished the workout.
 
When I'm running and I feel like I'm going to puke, I stop.....

My 'hardcore' stops right before the point where I start invoking bodily functions.....:embarrassed:
 
When I'm running and I feel like I'm going to puke, I stop.....

My 'hardcore' stops right before the point where I start invoking bodily functions.....:embarrassed:

I think it's a sinus drainage issue - I'm pretty much rolling out of bed and popping in the DVD. I've worked out harder than this and not puked before. I'm gonna try eating some bread/crackers before I start tomorrow to calm my stomach down. Anyway, it's just puke, as long as I make a point to stay hydrated, it's not a big deal :Wave:
 
Day three. Fuck. I have not been this sore since the day after I totaled my car in '02. Arms, legs, abs, everything hurts. But the worst is the hip flexors. In case you're not aware, those are the muscles that lift your thighs when you walk. Which means I'm hobbling around like an old man. Today's disc was Shoulders and Arms, and it was pretty easy, but if this muscle soreness doesn't abate I might have to take a few days to just do the Stretching or Yoga discs to loosen up. I've got Ab Ripper this afternoon, and I'm just gonna do as much of it as I can without injuring myself.

I got a Muscle Milk drink at the gas station today, and it tasted like robot semen. I drank as much as I could stomach, though, because them bitches are expensive.
 
Congratulations on not puking! :)

I did my normal hour of running on the track followed by 20 minutes on the 'hilly' workout on the stationary bike. I feel like a wimp compared to you.....:embarrassed:
 
lulz.

One of our students was doing this and he actually started shaping up pretty well...he was kind of a heavy guy and slimmed down quite a bit...
 
I got a Muscle Milk drink at the gas station today, and it tasted like robot semen. I drank as much as I could stomach, though, because them bitches are expensive.


First of all, great job!

Second, I suggest trying some Myoplex. It tastes a lot better IMO.
 
Back
Top