Rock Dungeon Remodel - the After Pics

Do you notice a change in the tone quality between the lower wattage settings and the higher settings? Within the next year I'm hoping that I'm going to be either buying a high end tube amp (Dr. Z, Swart etc..) and powersoak or a high end acoustic (Froggy Bottom, Bourgeois) and a decent tube amp that sounds as good as possible at really low volumes but still has enough umph to work for jam sessions and is pretty cheap. I don't gig and really have no desire to so it's mostly a 99% at home amp. Does the SD convertible seem like a good idea for that?

To my ear, the tone doesn't change much as you dial down the power, but the available headroom does. So, in that regard, it may be what you're looking for. Even at 5W, tho, with the preamp and master volume cranked, it's pretty loud.

You brought up acoustic guitars - one cool thing about the Convertible is that it can accept "Load Resistor" plugs so that the input impedence can be adjusted for single coils, humbuckers, piezo acoustics, etc.

There's a lot of good reading on the amp here:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/Convert.htm

if you're interested.
 
cool thanks I'll read up about it. I tend to be the kind of guy that does a shit ton of research before I buy any musical gear.
 
Last edited:
Welp it's been 12 years and things have changed a bit in life. so I'm downsizing the rock dungeon into the rock closet so I can turn the downstairs into a rockreation room for the kids.
I'm remodeling the spare bedroom to do double duty as a rock station and home office. Using some butcher block countertop for a desk on one side and a music workbench on the other. Fuck me that stuff is heavy. Pics coming at some point.
 
Back
Top