Question: replacing your nuts

remove the strings.
Remove the truss rod cover if there is one
Carefully Score all around the nut with a sharp knife or razor
Tap the nut on the side with a punch and hammer or block of wood and hammer
It should pop out. Easily.
Clean up the glue in the nut slot with a chisel or scraper of sorts.

When glueing, nothing fancy. A decent quality wood glue will do.
Put the strings on loose.
I go for a small drop right in the middle of the nut slot
Put the nut in. (I've assumed it's already sized and shaped)
Tighten the strings down. Not necessarily to tune . Just enough to hold things in place.
Wipe off any squeezed out glue.

Go play with your dolls and leave it alone for a day or so.
 
dolls?
well, I have six of those...8, if you count Mr T and Darth Maul, but they are packed away.
what about files?
should I get some?
 
well, I'm not sure yet.

I gotta do something about the nut in my SquStrat
filing might do the trick
guess I should try that first, then replace it once I fuck it up :lol:

I'd prefer to use a store bought one, though.

maybe brass...?

or unicorn horn, that'd have loads of mojo
 
remove the strings.
Remove the truss rod cover if there is one
Carefully Score all around the nut with a sharp knife or razor
Tap the nut on the side with a punch and hammer or block of wood and hammer
It should pop out. Easily.
Clean up the glue in the nut slot with a chisel or scraper of sorts.

When glueing, nothing fancy. A decent quality wood glue will do.
Put the strings on loose.
I go for a small drop right in the middle of the nut slot
Put the nut in. (I've assumed it's already sized and shaped)
Tighten the strings down. Not necessarily to tune . Just enough to hold things in place.
Wipe off any squeezed out glue.

Go play with your dolls and leave it alone for a day or so.

Good points...don't forget, before gluing it in, to check the height and adjust as necessary (I like sandpaper on a dead flat surface, run a mark across the nut and sand to the mark). Remember that the glue is just to hold it in place & you want it easy to remove in the future, not make it a permanent part of the neck; a couple really small drops of elmers white glue or two tiny dots of superglue can do the trick too (course superglue is more likely to remove some wood w/ the nut if you use too much).

Buying a pre-slotted nut like a Tusq or Graphtech makes the whole thing really simple.
 
Last edited:
I had never messed with a nut before a few days ago. The slot for the G string wasn't cut deeply enough on my Blacktop Strat, so notes on the first 3-4 frets were going sharp. I took a mini hacksaw blade and some super fine sandpaper to it, and now it's awesome.
 
A bone nut is the way to go, if you are cutting it yourself. Also stewmac has those micro polish/sanders that are great for final sanding the nut, once you got it on.
 
Back
Top