Question: REM, any good?

REM - Boring as Hell or Simply Wonderful?

  • Sleep inducingly numb

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • They Rock da Kasbah

    Votes: 13 81.3%

  • Total voters
    16
One of the great American rock acts. It’s pretty hard to argue with the IRS Records run. Automatic for the People is a mid-career masterpiece. Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi are weirdly underestimated vs their sales numbers; they’re secret glam/glitter rock gems. And even the later post Berry albums have some interesting bits — Up being a curious sonic left turn and Accelerate and Collapse into Now being solid capstone albums.

Great rhythm section. Distinctive vocals. And probably one of the 2 best 80s jangle pop guitarists.
 
I’ve loved them since Murmur came out, I bought it when it was first released. Love everything up through Automatic For The People (hit or miss for me after that), my favorite albums are the first five LP’s w/ Fables Of The Reconstruction being my sentimental favorite. Dead Letter Office is great too. Getting a Ric was a pretty big deal for me having loved those guitar tones for so long. One of the best American bands ever.
 
One thing is certain, these guys are no Saxon.

R.E.M. is growing on me. They are good.
I'm not sure they Fuck da Kasbah.
 
A truly great band. I liked all the singles I heard before and most after Losing My Religion. My deeper exploration of the band really started as they wound down and broke up. Not a ton of equals and few betters.
 
I never gave them much of a chance, but I heard enough to realize they had their own interesting sound and was better than 90% of the fare being released in their heyday. So respect.
 
I enjoyed their music and thought Michael Stipe was a good singer for the material. I loved the chimey guitar, too. Losing My Religion is a great song; the mandolin added a lot, as did Stipe's vocal phrasing. The video was interesting, but Stipe was very influenced by David Byrne with the movement in the video.

I like them better than U2; for some reason I always thought of them as similar bands.
 
I enjoyed their music and thought Michael Stipe was a good singer for the material. I loved the chimey guitar, too. Losing My Religion is a great song; the mandolin added a lot, as did Stipe's vocal phrasing. The video was interesting, but Stipe was very influenced by David Byrne with the movement in the video.

I like them better than U2; for some reason I always thought of them as similar bands.

Back in the day on this forum I did a thread about REM & U2…maybe I’ll look ok it up…
 
Laughed at and then summarily BOOOOOOOOOed you both.

Now I wanna run, I want to hide, but at least I've got my spine, I got my orange Crush...

...and the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! is aimed at me...I feel bad about myself.
 
I put them in kinda the same category as Prince. It’s not exactly my thing although I do dig some of the songs. And even if it’s not MY thing, you gotta respect that they were really talented and really good at the thing they do
 
Back
Top