I've been taking a little break from social media this week (including this place) but I wanted to share this...as you can see from these two threads I've been looking for an inexpensive archtop guitar to get ready for school on...
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/archtop-shopping-at-gc.70495/
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/collings-eastside-jazz-lc.70510/
I've got about a year to get my jazz playing up to where its supposed to be. What I don;t have is a ton of money for a guitar right now so I figured I would buy the $400 Ibanez that every GC has in stock and then sell if for half of that when I get ready to buy a "real" instrument. I went to the GC in Orange yesterday and tried everything in their tired and sad inventory of jazz guitars (of which there were about 6-8 guitars in my price range). I looked at all of the Ibanez guitars they had which ranged from $400 to $700 and they all sounded pretty much the same. Actually the best sounding one was a sunburst AG75BS, which was the cheapest one on the wall. Most of the guitars for some reason have shitty gold hardware and in the case of one particular guitar the gold was already wearing off and the tension spring had been stolen out of the Bigsby. I didn't bother trying any of the Epiphones because I've had pretty bad luck with Epi student instruments at work (and I'm not fond of Gibson as a company in the bigger picture) but there was one Joe Pass model Emperor that I figured I would give a spin just for comparison. Ironically it was a WAY better instrument sonically, playability-wise and tonally. It was even on clearance and within my budget at $500, so thats the one I took home
I had a rehearsal band practice last night with Tyler and Martin - this was the "warm up" tune. I'm playing it through my Deluxe...I can play stuff like this fairly comfortably on the guitar but I really struggled on the up-tempo stuff we played last night - not sharing any of that here....
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/archtop-shopping-at-gc.70495/
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/collings-eastside-jazz-lc.70510/
I've got about a year to get my jazz playing up to where its supposed to be. What I don;t have is a ton of money for a guitar right now so I figured I would buy the $400 Ibanez that every GC has in stock and then sell if for half of that when I get ready to buy a "real" instrument. I went to the GC in Orange yesterday and tried everything in their tired and sad inventory of jazz guitars (of which there were about 6-8 guitars in my price range). I looked at all of the Ibanez guitars they had which ranged from $400 to $700 and they all sounded pretty much the same. Actually the best sounding one was a sunburst AG75BS, which was the cheapest one on the wall. Most of the guitars for some reason have shitty gold hardware and in the case of one particular guitar the gold was already wearing off and the tension spring had been stolen out of the Bigsby. I didn't bother trying any of the Epiphones because I've had pretty bad luck with Epi student instruments at work (and I'm not fond of Gibson as a company in the bigger picture) but there was one Joe Pass model Emperor that I figured I would give a spin just for comparison. Ironically it was a WAY better instrument sonically, playability-wise and tonally. It was even on clearance and within my budget at $500, so thats the one I took home

I had a rehearsal band practice last night with Tyler and Martin - this was the "warm up" tune. I'm playing it through my Deluxe...I can play stuff like this fairly comfortably on the guitar but I really struggled on the up-tempo stuff we played last night - not sharing any of that here....
Last edited:



