N(mo)GD

New (my old) Guitar Day

And the story ... https://myguitarsblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/stripping-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder/

And the guitar

lp-starr.jpg
 
That is a cool story. :thu: The guitar is cool too.
 
Last edited:
I'm the polar opposite, I would be totally comfy taking all the electronics out and replacing, but would never trust myself to strip the total guitar.
 
Radish, I can see how you wanted that back - it looks fantastic :thu:

WTF were the knuckleheads at Gibson doing covering up a decent top like that? I thought they used wood with lesser visual appeal for painted tops...:shrug:
 
That's a cool story. I had an ebony 2010 Gibson LP 50's Tribute, looked just like yours that I handed off to my son. I had later on picked up a 2011 Gold top version of the 60's Tribute and just didn't need both.

I'll have to forward your link to my son so he can see what might lie underneath. Indeed looks more cozy now. Did he sand or fill the finish at all?
 
Man, I LOVE that! The top almost looks more like ash than maple - I love a non-flame-topped LP, and that one’s a beaut! I have a 2012 LP “Junior Special P90” with the same finish, and I’d love to see what the mahogany under that flat, black finish looks like!
 
That's a cool story. I had an ebony 2010 Gibson LP 50's Tribute, looked just like yours that I handed off to my son. I had later on picked up a 2011 Gold top version of the 60's Tribute and just didn't need both.

I'll have to forward your link to my son so he can see what might lie underneath. Indeed looks more cozy now. Did he sand or fill the finish at all?
Chemically stripped the body, then sanded with succeeding grit paper, followed by steel wool and then hand-rubbed oil finish.
 
That's a beaut! I checked your blog, you have a lot of cool guitars, you seem like a telephile, much like myself.
 
Back
Top