My local Sam Ash sucks...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I started going to this Sam Ash the day it opened. I was just a kid, but I was there. I’ve done shopping on and off from Sam Ash ever since then.

This recent experience has made me realize why I take my business elsewhere.

I purchased a used guitar(Ernie Ball Music Man Luke III) from Sam Ash in Paramus, NJ. I received the guitar on June 28, 2013. I immediately noticed that even though the guitar was in excellent condition, it had a special boost switch that was broke. I took the guitar to Sam Ash in Cherry Hill on July 1, 2013 and informed the tech that it had a broken switch.

Up until this point, this tech has never done me wrong. I’ve brought him at least 3 or 4 guitars to work on over the past year or so and he always did a great job. He has always been honest and fair. He told me that the broken switch was covered by the 30 Day Used Warranty from Sam Ash. He said he would have the guitar department manager order the broken piece.

The following week I called back to see what the status of the new piece was… there wasn’t any update. He was going to check with the guitar section manager... never heard back.

I called back a week later. The tech said that he would check with the guitar department manager again to see where the piece was. After a few hours, he called me back and told me that I had to bring the guitar in so he could remove the broken switch and send it back to the manufacturer so they could send a replacement piece.

OK… soooooo… why didn’t we know this a week or so ago when I called in to check on the status. Surely it doesn’t take more than a week to find something like that out. I know, because I called the manufacturer and asked the representative what the turn around time was on ordering this piece, he said that it was only a few days.

A week later, still no update. Now, it’s been over a month since I first reported the problem. I’ve only gotten updates from the tech because I’ve called in to see where things were progressing. It’s almost 5 weeks since I first reported the problem to Sam Ash. They still have my guitar and told me that it will probably be another week until I get it back.

You’re telling me that it takes almost a month and a half to replace a broken switch on a guitar?!?!?!

I know it's not the Cherry Hill Sam Ash's fault for me receiving a faulty guitar, but they have done nothing above the bare minimum to make sure the guitar was fixed in a decent time.

Sam Ash had no problems taking my money, but when it came time for them to make things right, they drag their feet on it.

Lame.

/End Rant
 
Thats more like GC behaviour here. Although the tech at our local Sam Ash is a good friend of mine from school :embarrassed:
 
Surprisingly, the GC here is pretty good... some nice high end gear and I have a store associate that always works with me on price
 
That sucks. Went through something similar with GC many years ago. But, in the end, I got what I needed and got a free guitar. Seriously. Keep the general manager in the loop.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 
I've been to the Cherry Hill Sam Ash a few times and it's kinda meh. It's probably on par w/ the King of Prussia, PA Sam Ash. Both of which are heads above the crap hole in the Franklin Mills mall. The Cherry Hill GC is much better.
 
Our Sam Ash is sucking ass tonite. Manager is a dick.


Sent from my iPhone at a Tijuana donkey show.
 
I usually shop at the Paramus or Springfield stores. The Springfield store has a much nicer selection and is a good deal larger. Nice guys overall at both.
 
Replace the switch yourself? It's not hard.

It's actually connected to a preamp made by music man. The whole piece needs to be replaced.

And I really shouldn't have to replace the switch myself. Especially after spending $1200 on the guitar. I know that's not a lot but I expect to have a working guitar at that price
 
Another reason to DIY.

Aside from semi-serious work(fret leveling, crowning) or serious work(neck resets, bridge pulls, steaming), you can very well do all you need to do, and all you generally pay for, yourself. It just takes practice.

Get a well used beater guitar with a floyd. Practice. Build a pedal kit or two, wire a pickguard. Practice.

I find myself enjoying working on guitars these days. General wiring/setups is a bit like simple mechanical work on your car. Doing a oil change, doing a brake job, replacing a radiator...stuff that you get charged a sizable sum for, but in reality, isn't that difficult once you do it a few times.

And I mean this generally, not directed at Mystix, no, you shouldn't have to go through this situation or pay, or wait this long.
 
Good old Howie!!!! Btw, I'm catching a concert at bb kings tonight. Maybe we can meet up for a drink beforehand ill text you

I've been learning more and more how to work on my guitars over the years. Electronic work is something I haven't tapped into yet
 
Howie turned me on to a really good tech if you don't mind coming into the city.
Quality work, reasonable rates, and if you tell him you're coming in from Jersey he'll probably finish the job in a couple of hours.



Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
 
Howie turned me on to a really good tech if you don't mind coming into the city.
Quality work, reasonable rates, and if you tell him you're coming in from Jersey he'll probably finish the job in a couple of hours.



Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

In the meantime, I stopped using him.

John, I'm in Portchester tonight for God Street Wine. Lets do it another time. Have fun!


Help!I'maniPhone!
 
UPDATE: I called Sam Ash yesterday to get an update on the piece they were supposed to receive from Music Man. The repair guy said it would be another week before they got it in. I said, "that's what you told me last week".

No response... unreal
 
I worked for Sam Ash back when they were in Hempstead NY, Jerry Ash was running the business, then at Melville, Carle Place, Queens and finally 48th st NYC.

This business does not even resemble the helpful passionate people that I used to work with, I will never step foot in a Sam Ash store again.
 
Back
Top