Let's Guess About Something Nobody is Mentioning While HC Goes Dwon Like the Titanic

FenderBender

ColoradoFenderB at HC
Anyone have an educated guess at how much $$ MF is losing, due to this cluster fuck? Is there anyway to estimate the "worth" of a forum user, in ad revenue, etc? I read on 2.0 that they are speculating they may lose 80% of their users. Must be a bundle going down the drain, no?
 
Thats been my main hope for their pulling this together. I know the little bit of money I make (usually about $1-$2 a day) with Google ads. Imagine with 2000x the membership and traffic and the fact that they have real advertisers, not just cheesy Google ads like I do. There has to be a sizable mount of money at stake.
 
Think of how fast the Fender Friday stuff would sell out, or the really cool stupid deal of the day items. This stuff would create a big buzz on the forums, and dozens of people would post 'i'm buying one' posts. I would guess for every old timer who jumped on the deal and talked about it, a noob or lurker did too. These were closeouts, so I would guess old stock of maybe 100 pieces or so in a warehouse. If it was something we all wanted, bang, gone by 10 am EST. I can't imagine they will be able to clear stuff out like they have in the past without the pack of rabid dogs foaming at the mouth over hot guitars that was EG/GJ. I think they will feel a more immediate financial effect from this type of thing, in addition to the loss of ad revenue.
 
Think of how fast the Fender Friday stuff would sell out, or the really cool stupid deal of the day items. This stuff would create a big buzz on the forums, and dozens of people would post 'i'm buying one' posts. I would guess for every old timer who jumped on the deal and talked about it, a noob or lurker did too. These were closeouts, so I would guess old stock of maybe 100 pieces or so in a warehouse. If it was something we all wanted, bang, gone by 10 am EST. I can't imagine they will be able to clear stuff out like they have in the past without the pack of rabid dogs foaming at the mouth over hot guitars that was EG/GJ.

There is that, too.,...didn't think about that.
 
Being the Gretsch-head I am, I belong to the Gretsch Pages. People over there, who aren't even HC members are annoyed, due to the fact that they can't even find the reviews anymore (somebody tried looking for TV Jones pickup reviews on HC [TV Jones pickups are a very popular upgrade for Gretsches], only to discover the new layout, and that most if not all of the TV Jones pickup reviews are gone).
 
We should start a pool on who gets fired at tomorrow morning's strategy meeting.
I'm glad I don't have to sit in on that one. :embarrassed:

EG
 
We should start a pool on who gets fired at tomorrow morning's strategy meeting.
I'm glad I don't have to sit in on that one. :embarrassed:

EG

One thing I have learned from multi national super corporate America is that those at the top will play the blame game and fire someone down the chain who has little if anything to do with the mess. Just a guess though. Shit rolls down hill.
 
I have no idea what MF pays for advertisement. But - to put this into perspective with a recent job change I'm now responsible for an on-line educational web site. We've just submitted a proposal to a company to advertise on the website, with banner adds, sponsor ship to 4 webcasts and a few other small perks. (they get the list of webcast registrants to market to for example) Total cost of the proposal is over $160,0000 (and no - I don't get all that).
 
Having worked in the "web" and "advertising" business for the last 15+ years... I couldn't tell you exact figures but I can tell you that it is a very very substantial amount of money. Just the monthly hosting costs of that site alone are many 10s of thousands of dollars.

Add in the astronomical cost of deploying a site like that (figure several hundred K at least) and now the massive decline in traffic and ad revenue.

The dollar figures we are talking about are astounding. Nobody there can be taking it lightly.

Harmony Central is a major source of revenue for the company.

too put it into perspective. The average cost of a microsite where I work (very well respected ny ad agency) is probably around between $600,000 to $1,000,000+ with some reaching far far higher figures.
 
Last edited:
Having worked in the "web" and "advertising" business for the last 15+ years... I couldn't tell you exact figures but I can tell you that it is a very very substantial amount of money. Just the monthly hosting costs od that site alone are many many thousands of dollars.

Add in the astronomical cost of deploying a site like that (figure several hundred K at least) and now the massive decline in traffic and ad revenue.

The dollar figures we are talking about are astounding. Nobody there can be taking it lightly.

Harmony Central is a major source of revenue for the company.

too put it into perspective. The average cost of a microsite where I work (very well respected ny ad agency) is probably around between $600,000 to $1,000,000+ with some reaching far far higher figures.


yeowtch.
 
Back
Top