Last nights gig...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I actually have to get ready for today's gig this morning so I'll have to do a write up later but I thought I'd post some pictures...

The rogues gallery - R-Dub, Phil051300 and Eminence_Front. FMC was there but had to leave early and rocklegend0407 and Blues Brother played in one of the bands....

IMG_2042.jpg


These are from one of the student bands and one of the adult bands..I actually had to play drums with two other adult bands so there are no pics from those and one youth class. It was a little nutty emceeing the night and having to play and stage manage messedup0

A little video I caught with my still camera of the adult Funk and R&B Ensemble playing "Tell Me Something Good" by Chaka Khan:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/markwein/recital%2012-6-08/?action=view&current=MVI_2033.flv

IMG_2041.jpg


IMG_2040.jpg


IMG_2036.jpg


IMG_2035.jpg


IMG_2030.jpg


IMG_2028.jpg
 
Cool, Do you have more video clips, say of Rocklegend and anyone else from here. Which one is Blues Brother, they guy on the strat?
 
I wasn't able to shoot any, although the kids might have one...

Blues Brother was in one of the classes I had to play drums in so there is no picture of him...I forgot that Stobitz (also a forumite) is playing an SG in the second picture up from the bottom and Luis Cresci (just registered but hasn't posted) played in one of the classes that I was drumming for.,..
 
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out
 
rocklegend0407 said:
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out

You guys played really well...I was bummed that you ended up not playing through your own new pedal, though...
 
I had a great time!

Took me about 2 hours to get there, traffic was horrible. It was definately worth the trip. Mark's students were very impressive, i especially had fun watching the young players, it was good for my soul. In fact i have been pounding out "Stacy's Mom" all morning, banging on the guitar like a punk. hahaha.

I had met R-Dub at the last concert, it was really nice meeting Eminence Front and his lovely wife who looks ready to burst with their offspring soon. hahaha. They were a pleasure to hang out with. Rocklegend is a cool kid, he's got good chops and shows a lot of talent. And he has one lovely SG also!

Mark of course tore it up, his band is really good. And Mark as usual was a great host, during all his running around herding his students, young and old, switching out the stage, playing drums (while singing!), he always took time to hang with us also. A genuinely good guy and a real class act.

Towards the end there was a bunch of local gang banger looking types hanging out on the patio drinking beer and smoking weed, discussing the de la hoya fight. hahahaha. They looked pretty wasted, hopefully some of Mark's blues was able to get into their fogged brains.

All in all a great time, i look forward to doing it again soon.
 
Phil051300 said:
I had a great time!

Took me about 2 hours to get there, traffic was horrible.

I'm glad you survived tongue0

I hate sitting in traffic...I have never understood the people who work in Riverside county and commute here to OC...its a brutal drive...

Phil051300 said:
It was definately worth the trip. Mark's students were very impressive, i especially had fun watching the young players, it was good for my soul. In fact i have been pounding out "Stacy's Mom" all morning, banging on the guitar like a punk. hahaha.

I had met R-Dub at the last concert, it was really nice meeting Eminence Front and his lovely wife who looks ready to burst with their offspring soon. hahaha. They were a pleasure to hang out with. Rocklegend is a cool kid, he's got good chops and shows a lot of talent. And he has one lovely SG also!

Mark of course tore it up, his band is really good. And Mark as usual was a great host, during all his running around herding his students, young and old, switching out the stage, playing drums (while singing!), he always took time to hang with us also. A genuinely good guy and a real class act.

Towards the end there was a bunch of local gang banger looking types hanging out on the patio drinking beer and smoking weed, discussing the de la hoya fight. hahahaha. They looked pretty wasted, hopefully some of Mark's blues was able to get into their fogged brains.

All in all a great time, i look forward to doing it again soon.

The classes did great. I could do without playing drums and singing, though....

We had a lot of fun, although I struggled a little but with my gear (I do have the infamous "all buttons" solo on video...I'll post it later :embarrassed:) and it took about a set to knock the rust off.

My favorite song actually was the Christina Aguilara song :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

My ride for this afternoons gig just showed up so I gotta bail...I'll be back later this evening AOK
 
You did a great take on that Aguilara song. The solo was perfect.


As for me, i dug the all buttons solo. It was actually a pretty cool effect, for and outro/solo it actually fit wonderfully.
 
Christina Aguilar song???? I definitely left too early. I'm bummed I couldn't get a hall pass for the whole show, but am glad I got to see part of it. You guys drew a big crowd and the first two classes (all I saw) did great. Congrat's on a successful event, and kudos to you for putting these things together for your students. Dude00
 
Cool looks like you guys had allot of fun. I would definitely come to see you guys if i lived close by. smi
 
markwein said:
rocklegend0407 said:
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out

You guys played really well...I was bummed that you ended up not playing through your own new pedal, though...

I was too...but I can use it all the time now...

I made up a classic hard funk rock song with it so I hope to post it soon... Dude00
 
I loved the solo on I think a SRV song where you soloed on the wrong effect...

That was hilarious. But, like you said, "Just go with it."
 
How long did the Metropolitains(sp?) play till?

I wanted to stay for the whole thing, but my mom was falling over becasue she was too tired.

I wish I brought a seperate car...Tsk...
 
Phil051300 said:
You did a great take on that Aguilara song. The solo was perfect.


As for me, i dug the all buttons solo. It was actually a pretty cool effect, for and outro/solo it actually fit wonderfully.

Thanks! biggrin

We had a couple of other "non blues" songs that we worked on but that one was too cool not to play. smi

When I get into work tomorrow I'll upload a few of the songs that actually made it onto video without sucking. The "all buttons" one is one of them...
 
FMC said:
Christina Aguilar song???? I definitely left too early. I'm bummed I couldn't get a hall pass for the whole show, but am glad I got to see part of it. You guys drew a big crowd and the first two classes (all I saw) did great. Congrat's on a successful event, and kudos to you for putting these things together for your students. Dude00

Thanks!

The events demonstrate what I really want to achieve with the studio..not just private lessons but a mix of that and the performance element of the classes that turn out actual musicians.

We end up having quite a few bands form out of these classes and there is definitely a sense of community, which I feel is one of the most rewarding parts of being a musician....

The Christina song I think will become part of our regular repertoire...I think people went from thinking it was a gimmick to actually enjoying the song by the first chorus.
 
Lovac said:
Cool looks like you guys had allot of fun. I would definitely come to see you guys if i lived close by. smi

It was a pretty good time...one of the rewards of my job, I think. smi

rocklegend0407 said:
markwein said:
rocklegend0407 said:
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out

You guys played really well...I was bummed that you ended up not playing through your own new pedal, though...

I was too...but I can use it all the time now...

I made up a classic hard funk rock song with it so I hope to post it soon... Dude00


I would make a point of bringing it to class every week...you'll get ample opportunity to use it from this point on.

We played until Midnight, although we had a big enough break for me to polish off a plate of wings :embarrassed:

Ultimately if something screwy happens on stage you just have to make it work. Sometimes the best ideas come from a mistake like that. smi
 
It's really cool that you put shows together for your students. It's one thing to teach people to play, but to actually give them the opportunity to play with a band in front of people is something else entirely. I wish there had been something like that near me when I was learning to play. AOK
 
markwein said:
Lovac said:
Cool looks like you guys had allot of fun. I would definitely come to see you guys if i lived close by. smi

It was a pretty good time...one of the rewards of my job, I think. smi

rocklegend0407 said:
markwein said:
rocklegend0407 said:
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out

You guys played really well...I was bummed that you ended up not playing through your own new pedal, though...

I was too...but I can use it all the time now...

I made up a classic hard funk rock song with it so I hope to post it soon... Dude00


I would make a point of bringing it to class every week...you'll get ample opportunity to use it from this point on.

We played until Midnight, although we had a big enough break for me to polish off a plate of wings :embarrassed:

Ultimately if something screwy happens on stage you just have to make it work. Sometimes the best ideas come from a mistake like that. smi

If I would have stayed that long, my mom would have KILLED me...sorry I couldn't see the whole show. You stayed for mine, I should have stayed for yours...

How can I get ready for Tuesday's practice since we don't have any sheet music yet?
I've been soloing to track 10 in A Minor...
 
rocklegend0407 said:
markwein said:
Lovac said:
Cool looks like you guys had allot of fun. I would definitely come to see you guys if i lived close by.  smi

It was a pretty good time...one of the rewards of my job, I think.  smi

rocklegend0407 said:
markwein said:
rocklegend0407 said:
Yesterday was really really fun.

Can't wait for our next show! Soloing, etc.

KICK ASS!!!! Totally_jammin_out

You guys played really well...I was bummed that you ended up not playing through your own new pedal, though...

I was too...but I can use it all the time now...

I made up a classic hard funk rock song with it so I hope to post it soon... Dude00


I would make a point of bringing it to class every week...you'll get ample opportunity to use it from this point on.

We played until Midnight, although we had a big enough break for me to polish off a plate of wings  :embarrassed:

Ultimately if something screwy happens on stage you just have to make it work.  Sometimes the best ideas come from a mistake like that.  smi

If I would have stayed that long, my mom would have KILLED me...sorry I couldn't see the whole show. You stayed for mine, I should have stayed for yours...

How can I get ready for Tuesday's practice since we don't have any sheet music yet?
I've been soloing to track 10 in A Minor...

biggrin

Take a look at this: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=37

We'll actually cover it in class but you can get a head start...
 
It looks like a great time was had by all! That is indeed a very cool thing to be able to do as a student. A great confidence builder as well!
 
Back
Top