Jelloman's Double Parts-caster build thread...

munch0

Nice... Can't wait to hear some sound clips...I completed my first build a few months ago, although it sure wasn't cheap... I'm hooked... Another gets started tomorrow...
 
SO...with the tele on hold I'm gonna press on with the strat...why waste a weekend?

...with the tuners installed, the neck is ready, so now it's time to prep the body...

FIRST...install the string ferrules...
010-1.jpg

...dead-blow mallet...:thu:
011.jpg


...then install the bridge...
012.jpg

...it was necessary to remove the saddles...there are 3 screws under them...

I have to say...for 11.00 the bridge is a pretty nice peice...thick, heavy base, nice saddles...Jay even includes an allen key that won't fit...:shrug:...but still a nice piece...

Now for the delicate part...mating the neck and body, making sure the strings are evenly spaced...

...thank god for bench vises...
013.jpg

...and convenient flannel shirts for cushioning...

...string spacing...
015.jpg

...and the delicate task of turning the assembly around in the vise to drill out the holes...2 holes drilled, screws and plate installed...double check and remove the strings...drill out the other 2 holes and you get...
016.jpg

...now...if I'm LUCKY that's the last time the neck and body will ever be apart...

Time for dinner so...
018.jpg


See you all next time...
:Wave:
 
I forgot to includel the ground wire under the bridge when I installed it yesterday...so off comes the bridge..
001-2.jpg


...then I test-fit the pickguard...AND that needed some modification to fit as well...
002-3.jpg


...time to set up the soldering station and get to it...
 
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

...let the frustrations continue...

I have a set of GFS '70's grey bottoms...I was changing the covers when I found this on the bridge pup...
003-3.jpg

...damn winding is broken...

So now EVERYTHING is on hold until I can get a replacement from jay...

...dammit...:mad:
 
Looking great. Shame about your obstacles, but it's all part of the fun... erm, I mean "challenge".
 
UPDATE

...GHS has dispatched a new pickup along with my tuner order...should be here in a day or 2...

:thu:
 
...let the frustrations continue...

I have a set of GFS '70's grey bottoms...I was changing the covers when I found this on the bridge pup...
003-3.jpg

...damn winding is broken...

So now EVERYTHING is on hold until I can get a replacement from jay...

...dammit...:mad:

:mad:

At least he's getting one out to you quickly.

Is this a common occurrence with GFS stuff? t seems like I'm always reading about some kind of QC issue. I've never used any of their stuff.
 
:mad:

At least he's getting one out to you quickly.

Is this a common occurrence with GFS stuff? t seems like I'm always reading about some kind of QC issue. I've never used any of their stuff.

this is my first dealing with them...all I can say right now is delivery is lightning fast and customer service is even faster...
 
dang why havent I seen this thread? Nice work man! I have bought about a 1/2 dozen pups from Jay at GFS. I had 1 with a broken lead. He sent me a replacement without any hassle.
 
UPDATE:

...still waiting...

Has he given you any indication on the hold up...like out of stock or anything? I had a pickguard arrive with a bend and after sending him a photo of it and the shipping box, he dispatched a replacement at no cost the very next day.
 
Back
Top