Hot or Not? Ibanez ASR70

Hot!

Definitly hot!

I'd been searching for just such an instrument since the 2012 release of The Abstracts' "Hey, Let's Go Now!" LP. Most of the tracks (including the band's "Lost Columbia Session") was recorded with me playing a Gibson ES125TDC. Hearing that guitar again and realizing that no guitar in my current stable would create that sound got me looking.

The Epi Casino was an obvious possibility. I've had several Epies over the years and found them pretty decent guitars, but frankly the chrome finish on the P90s was to me offputting.

When Ibanez announced the Asr70 I took an immediate interest, especially after Al Karp, my guitar buddy from our days together in the Abstracts, spoke so highly of the marque.

The key to the guitar having what I was looking for, along with P90s, was a true hollow body design. This makes the body very alive -- creating undesirable feedback if a powerful amp is behind you and the volume turned up at all (which is why the design became so rare once rock replaced mellow jazz and the primary form of guitar-based music) -- but under other conditions being a total plus.

I took delivery about two weeks ago and could not be more pleased! The guitar is exactly what I'd hoped for. Quality in exemplary in every way.

-don
 
Last edited:
To my own surprise this has become my 'go to', everyday, guitar. Now the fact that its new may have something to do with that. But more likely its the guitar's honesty and flexibility (along with its great feel).

it is worth noting that I have at present over a dozen guitars in my arsenal. Several Gibsons, Fenders (I'm big into Teles), plus an assortment of other electrics and acoustics.

P90 equipped guitars can do so much! With a small tweak of the amp I can play my Tele-inspired originals. I can get almost the fullness of a humbucker equipped ES. And even a rhythm sound that normally would have me reaching for the Martin dreadnaught. None if my other guitar are quite this flexible. And at home studio volume the liveness of the true hollow body is a wonderful plus.

I paid less than $400 for this instrument and while that is not "cheap" it is truly a lot if guitar for
the money. As a player's guitar it holds its own completely in my collection.


TheWorldElecticPhotoshopped.jpg


-don
 
Back
Top