I was without a book to read until about 30 minutes ago

cfgsteak

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I was freaking out. I had started to read Hamlet, but I are too dumb to read Shakespeare. I'm gonna watch an old BBC production of it instead.

I picked up a book called Deadwood by Peter Dexter...it won the National Book Award, so I have high hopes...I almost grabbed Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men author) but they only had it in hardback...and I are cheap.

Whatcha readin?
 
Just finished up re-reading The Return by William Shatner. I'll be starting on Avenger by him probably tomorrow night.
 
What is this . . .reading? Is that some new form of movie? :embarrassed:



I used to be a voracious reader. Its been awhile though.
 
What is this . . .reading? Is that some new form of movie? :embarrassed:



I used to be a voracious reader. Its been awhile though.

I hear ya man...I just got back into reading a lot more again recently, in the last year. My kids are old enough that I can get an hour of uninterrupted reading time in again...I think in the previous ten years 90% of what I read was fishing related...and magazines. Reading some novels has been a nice change....funny, its still easier to get an hour to read then it is to get a few hours to watch a good movie...

And Deadwood looks like it is a dirty no hold barred western, so I think I will like it.
 
I hear ya man...I just got back into reading a lot more again recently, in the last year. My kids are old enough that I can get an hour of uninterrupted reading time in again...I think in the previous ten years 90% of what I read was fishing related...and magazines. Reading some novels has been a nice change....funny, its still easier to get an hour to read then it is to get a few hours to watch a good movie...

And Deadwood looks like it is a dirty no hold barred western, so I think I will like it.

My favorite author is Ken Follett i think. Pillars of the Earth, Lie Down With Lions are great books.
 
Just finished up re-reading The Return by William Shatner. I'll be starting on Avenger by him probably tomorrow night.

I prefer the old crew all together and in their younger days, but I admit I liked "The Return" very much. AOK I almost picked up "The Avenger" in the library the other day but I passed on it. I read "Federation" not long ago and was disappointed.
 
My favorite author is Ken Follett i think. Pillars of the Earth, Lie Down With Lions are great books.

I haven't read Follet for a long time, but Lie Down with Lions was the last one I read by him and I liked it. My wife just got done with Pillars and the Earth, and something else he wrote that was related to it...she liked them a lot.
 
I really liked Pillars.

There is another guy, Vincent DeMille i think is his name. Anyway, i have read a couple of his i really liked too.
 
I'm the type of person who likes to have 6-10 books on the go at the same time... (usually takes around of month to do a complete cycle, so to speak)... also, this is more or less my "field" which, combined with my medical circumstances, gives me a lot of reading time.

Against Interpretation and Other Essays by Susan Sontag
To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson
The Lost City of Z by David Grann
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Mark Morris by Joan Acocella
The Radetsky March by Joseph Roth
Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald
A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music by George E. Lewis
 
I have a huge backlog of books to read, but I have no motivation to sit there and read lately. I just keep adding new books to the pile, never taking the old ones off. :(
 
I'm the type of person who likes to have 6-10 books on the go at the same time... (usually takes around of month to do a complete cycle, so to speak)... also, this is more or less my "field" which, combined with my medical circumstances, gives me a lot of reading time.

Against Interpretation and Other Essays by Susan Sontag
To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson
The Lost City of Z by David Grann
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Mark Morris by Joan Acocella
The Radetsky March by Joseph Roth
Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald
A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music by George E. Lewis

You are always reading some great books. My wife read Middlesex a few weeks ago and thought it was really good. I actually took some names of books that you recommmended in another thread to the bookstore last night. I almost picked up (besides having Blood Meridian in hand - you recommended McCarthy) The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner and a Phillip Roth book...but I just read To Kill a Mockingbird, so I put the Faulkner down (I needed to "get out of the south" for a book or two) and the Roth book looked really good, but I needed something a little lighter this week...
 
I'm in the middle of Muscle and Blood, the massive hidden agony of industrial slaughter in America, by Rachel Scott. It's individual accounts of big industry's lack of concern for worker safety and cover ups. Recommended reading to anyone that has a job. If you think your employer is concerned for your well being, think again.:embarrassed:
 
I'm in the middle of Muscle and Blood, the massive hidden agony of industrial slaughter in America, by Rachel Scott. It's individual accounts of big industry's lack of concern for worker safety and cover ups. Recommended reading to anyone that has a job. If you think your employer is concerned for your well being, think again.:embarrassed:

Sounds very interesting!
 
It basically takes you through every industry, count by count. Automotive, Chemical, Oil, Mining, Metals, etc.
 
You are always reading some great books. My wife read Middlesex a few weeks ago and thought it was really good. I actually took some names of books that you recommmended in another thread to the bookstore last night. I almost picked up (besides having Blood Meridian in hand - you recommended McCarthy) The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner and a Phillip Roth book...but I just read To Kill a Mockingbird, so I put the Faulkner down (I needed to "get out of the south" for a book or two) and the Roth book looked really good, but I needed something a little lighter this week...

Faulkner and McCarthy both require a lot of focus, I find.

You're kind of off on Philip Roth - the subjects that he deals with are dead-serious, but the man is one of the most hilarious writers out there, if you enjoy his style of humor. Which is certainly very sharp, as well as a little sick and brutal. His books aren't 'light', but they are certainly easy reads, page-turners, and full of LOL moments.

I'd recommend American Pastoral or The Plot Against America as starters.

I picked up Middlesex because weebz spent nearly a month ranting about how good it was over at GJ, which made me feel kinda guilty for not having read it yet. It is quite a great read.
 
Last edited:
I have read one Roth book, Portnoy's Complaint. It was hilarious from what I remember (I read it about 15 years ago). I'll check out the other two.

Deadwood is really good so far. This Pete Dexter fella can write.
 
It basically takes you through every industry, count by count. Automotive, Chemical, Oil, Mining, Metals, etc.
I came within one click of buying this tonight, but I balked for some reason. (It was only 6 dollars shipped)....idn_smilie maybe later, I'll do it....
 
Back
Top