I want to hear your stories, legends and myths

Phunkyphred

Strato-Smasher
How did you first start playing live?

My only experience outside open mics is playing in a tiny indie rock showcase at a coffeeshop.I opened.

No one was really there but performers when I started but as I finished the crowd started to show. It was nice.

A friend of mine had set it up and asked if I'd take the least fun part. Which worked out awesome.

Best part of the night was talking about T Rex with some Ecuadorans. Who ended up losing their backing tape for rap.. so I stepped up and just riffed over one of them beat boxing and the other rapping. The place was fairly crowded at the time.. we just had a great chemistry after talking all afternoon.

I'd be down to try something like that again. A real gig where people pay money? I dunno if I'm worth that.

Tell me your origin story.
 
My first gig was a church talent show; my brother and I sang Kumbaya. I eventually started playing the church coffeehouse circuit, which was quite extensive in the later 60s. I wrote my first song in 1966 and now could do a 3-hour program of original tunes. Over the years I have gigged around the Mid-Atlantic and New England area.
 
My first gig was a church talent show; my brother and I sang Kumbaya. I eventually started playing the church coffeehouse circuit, which was quite extensive in the later 60s. I wrote my first song in 1966 and now could do a 3-hour program of original tunes. Over the years I have gigged around the Mid-Atlantic and New England area.

Dang that's a nice song catalog!
 
When I was in high school, I would practice with some guys in their basement or garage and sometimes it would turn into a party with people wanting to drink and watch the practice....

... but I guess the first "real" performance was a talent show where I got to play 3 times. There were dozens of acts, and even an intermission, but I opened the show with a hendrix-y national anthem... then one of the group of dudes I played music with we played a (probably pretty poor) version of Heavy Chains from Loudness, and then there was an all star jam. I think we played Owner of a Lonely Heart and Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

From there, I played in bands in college and my home town. Sometimes the guitarist, sometimes the singer. It's funny in retrospect how fluid the lineups were.... Other than one college group, I don't think I ever played with the exact same group of musicians for more than 2 or 3 shows in a row. :embarrassed:
 
I was in an informal band in high school. We played for my high school twice at a "coffee house" that the school put on. There were like 20 other bands over the night. The first time we played Hey Joe and U2's One. Second time we played Learning to Fly and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Me, my father, my AP History teacher and three friends not of the "band" played Wish You Were Here and Me and Julio at another event my senior year.
The band then booked a gig at a local bar and decided I wasn't going to play when we got there so I never spoke to any of them again. Last I heard the drummer went on to form a Rush tribute band because he was obsessed with them.
I haven't played live since those days unless you count at parties at my house. That was 25 years ago.
 
Funny thing is... I have been playing so much electric that I didn't even think about my acoustic and open mic stuff. I feel like it's completely separate from my younger playing.

Most of my college age playing was wrapped up by the time I was 22 or 23... I didn't play for years. But after my kids were jr high - high school age I missed live music, so I started running sound for a local band that I was friends with (because I had all this PA equipment from live days and from DJing). They were an acoustic-electric act and I was so impressed with their stripped down sound, that I realized I never really sang and played at the same time.

I bought an acoustic and started practicing songs that I could sing and play at the same time... I think I only had 6 in my pocket at this time. Police, Sublime, Mraz, and a few Bob Marley tunes. I played the seediest, smokiest, hole-in-the-wall open mic I could find that nooooobody knew me. I was so nervous that my one leg was shaking in my pant leg the entire time. :embarrassed: Playing without the hair, lights, loud amps, and a band behind you was the most naked, scary thing I had ever done. To a room full of complete strangers. But I was hooked... and kept playing more and more open mics... until my nerves finally settled down.

Then I formed that reggae trio and played with that lineup for several years until it morphed into the rock/funk/electric band I'm in now.... and then lineup changes turned it into TWO bands that I still front both. :helper:

Singing with Derivicus's band in Florida
3133_1075178368201_4932319_n.jpg


>sniff< My very first open mic.
386087_10150401178739235_1318213790_n.jpg
 
Solo rendition of "Stairway To Heaven" in the 5th grade. No drummers or bassists during middle school. High school no one wanted me in their band, eventually had to play bass and sing lead to get in. Both good skills, though, which served me well later. Found a band in a neighboring town during high school, we opened for a few national acts. Once high school ended, it was game on.
 
I was challenged.

I have friends with a cover band. They always asked if I wanted to sit in.
I always said no.

While at a house party of a mutual friend, the singer said, “In two weeks. You’re playing with us. Learn *this* song.”
I said, “Fine.”

I learned the song.
Showed up with my own guitar so I’d be comfortable (and I didn’t presume that they’d let me use their gear.)
I was late.... Dumped my guitar at the back of the stage and sat down with friends.

During the break after their first set, the guitarist told me when they’d call me up. Third song into the second set.
Song 1: Pink Floyd, The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall
Song 2: Cult, She Sells Sanctuary
Then me.... Neil Young, Keep On Rockin’ In The a Free World.

I expected they’d plug me into one of their spare amps. I had asked and they said, “No, just use mine.”
Nope. One of the guitarists gave me his rig and picked up the singer’s tambourine.
They’re a dual lead guitar band, taking turns, and/or doing some cool guitar harmony parts.
So, I played rhythm.

The drummer counted us in, and off we went.

Here’s the thing.

We didn’t rehearse.
As long as we had been friends, we’d never played together.
They’d never even heard me play. Zero. Nada. Zip.
I’d never played on stage. I’d never played in public.
I’d never played with a band before. Unless we count that one time in high school when I was asked to play bass with some friends in a basement jam session. I had no idea what I was doing.
I’d never really played a song all the way through before I started practicing for that day.

It was a blast. I must have done well because when we went to see them the next night, they asked me up and since I didn’t have my guitar with me, I used theirs. And have done so several times since. He has some cool gear and is always getting new stuff. I’ve been able to play some really nice gear.

I need to learn some more songs...
 
>How did you first start playing live?

I don't remember as it was long ago. The only thing I can vaguely remember was playing back yard parties in High School. In college played a few solo recitals and with bands, mostly private parties.

After leaving college, played in clubs and a few military circuit venues. Between 87-89 I was a full time musician where I taught and played 6 days/nights a week in Waikiki. When I moved to LA I was part time again playing parties and clubs. Since 2013 I started to play solo shows (paid) as well as open mics along with duets depending on the type of gig. I have pickup gigs with bands along with a few project that call me needing my services.
 
I was challenged.

I have friends with a cover band. They always asked if I wanted to sit in.
I always said no.

While at a house party of a mutual friend, the singer said, “In two weeks. You’re playing with us. Learn *this* song.”
I said, “Fine.”

I learned the song.
Showed up with my own guitar so I’d be comfortable (and I didn’t presume that they’d let me use their gear.)
I was late.... Dumped my guitar at the back of the stage and sat down with friends.

During the break after their first set, the guitarist told me when they’d call me up. Third song into the second set.
Song 1: Pink Floyd, The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall
Song 2: Cult, She Sells Sanctuary
Then me.... Neil Young, Keep On Rockin’ In The a Free World.

I expected they’d plug me into one of their spare amps. I had asked and they said, “No, just use mine.”
Nope. One of the guitarists gave me his rig and picked up the singer’s tambourine.
They’re a dual lead guitar band, taking turns, and/or doing some cool guitar harmony parts.
So, I played rhythm.

The drummer counted us in, and off we went.

Here’s the thing.

We didn’t rehearse.
As long as we had been friends, we’d never played together.
They’d never even heard me play. Zero. Nada. Zip.
I’d never played on stage. I’d never played in public.
I’d never played with a band before. Unless we count that one time in high school when I was asked to play bass with some friends in a basement jam session. I had no idea what I was doing.
I’d never really played a song all the way through before I started practicing for that day.

It was a blast. I must have done well because when we went to see them the next night, they asked me up and since I didn’t have my guitar with me, I used theirs. And have done so several times since. He has some cool gear and is always getting new stuff. I’ve been able to play some really nice gear.

I need to learn some more songs...


Nice. This took me on a journey man. Do play in your own band now?
 
Back
Top