Question: I always have them, don't I? :o

Jeremy

Also no borders.
I dig the Laney that I've got, but it isn't working in the context of the band I've joined. Soooo, onward. I need something LOUD, and with a sort of mid-heavy, modern gain. I'm looking to probably move to a 100w head/4x12 cab setup. Problem is, budget's not that high.

I'm thinking of trying to source a used 100w Jet City or Blackheart amp and cheap used cab to hold me over.

First question: will those work? I don't really know much about either of them. The youtube vids lead me to believe I could get the sounds out of them that I want, but I'm looking for someone who's got some experience with them to chime in here.

Second question: What am I holding over for? I'm thinking maybe a JCM900 down the line? What's your suggestion?
 
The 100W Jet City amp is a Soldano designed amp, just made in China. Swap the tubes out to get rid of the Chinese tubes and you will have a nice sounding amp. The crunch channel of the 100W JC is based off of the Soldano SLO IIRC.
 
100 watts is a fucking lot.

I'm constantly tempted to get a Fender Super or Vibrlolux, but ~40 watts is still a lot.
 
You should be good with 40 - 50 watts, if even that. 30 might even be enough. I gig with a 30 watt amp and never have the volume past 4 - if even there.

An amp to look at down the road - Mesa Transatlantic 30 head.
 
I'm mostly just trying to keep that part in line with what the other guitarist is playing. I'd be happy with much less, as long as I don't get drowned out.

:embarrassed:
 
Of course, the speakers are the key. I'm just not finding the sounds I need for this application in my amp, either though. Its frustrating.
 
What's the other guitarist using? And how high is he going on the master volume. I used to play in a band with another guitarist. We each had 50-watt halfstacks with volumes consistently on 1.5. :embarrassed:
 
He's playing one of those Line 6 tube half-stacks. Not sure about his volume, probably pretty low.

Makes me wonder why my 50w Laney was so fucking weak, now that I think about it. :embarrassed: I had that fucker cranked and it really wasn't very loud at all. And the gain wasn't anywhere near where it should've been. WTF.
 
He's playing one of those Line 6 tube half-stacks. Not sure about his volume, probably pretty low.

Makes me wonder why my 50w Laney was so fucking weak, now that I think about it. :embarrassed: I had that fucker cranked and it really wasn't very loud at all. And the gain wasn't anywhere near where it should've been. WTF.

Sounds like dying power tubes.
 
I'll have to look into that. I'll also have to look into my head and figure out why I didn't realize there was a problem saturday. :embarrassed:
 
I'll have to look into that. I'll also have to look into my head and figure out why I didn't realize there was a problem saturday. :embarrassed:

It happens. You get in the moment, excited and all about the jam. Tunnel vision and whatnot.... I've been there.
 
Quick question: could failing power tubes cause squalling, mic-pointed-at-a-speaker type feedback on the neck pickup, somehow? 'Cause that's another issue I had.
 
with a 100 watt amp, you will never turn the volume past 2.

I agree with Saint on the Jet City for high gain. I had one for a week or and it was awesome for medium to high gain. It was too much gain for my sissy music.
 
Back
Top