Hot or Not - Fender Red Knob Twin.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Couldn't find a good enough video to post...

fender_the%20_twin_red_knob_cover.jpg



[h=2]"Red Knob" Twin[/h] The Twin Reverb II was replaced by The Twin, commonly referred to as the "Evil Twin" due to the addition of both a separate gain channel and a switchable overdrive on the clean, in 1987. It featured a dual output switch, allowing the user to select either 25 watts or 100 watts of output. The Twin was designed for maximum versatility for live or studio use with features like speaker jacks with selectable impedance, Low-z/XLR output, a "Powwr Amp Thru" feature that bypassed the preamp circuit and a buffered effects loop. Both clean and overdrive channels could be activated simulateously and reverb could be turned on/off for each channel. Earlier Twin Reverb amps were known among musicians to be best suited for loud, "clean" tones. The "Red Knob Twin" was made until 1994; it has since been succeeded by "Twin Amps" of Fender's current Protube line.
 
I remember playing through one of those at our old rehearsal room when my Marshall blew a tube. The main thing I remember is that it was extremely loud (don't recall the lower output switch) and the gain channel sounded like shit. :embarrassed:
 
hot, but only if your only requirement is loud clean. i have had this requirement before and the RKT was awesome for it.
 
It's OK. I've used a few of them off and on over the past 20 years, to give guitars a test drive. It can do OK distortion, although in many ways a Mesa, Marshall, Engl, etc. might be a better choice - unless you want to sound a little different. If you play your cards right, you can pick them up at reasonably low prices.
 
Last edited:
I remember playing through one of those at our old rehearsal room when my Marshall blew a tube. The main thing I remember is that it was extremely loud (don't recall the lower output switch) and the gain channel sounded like shit. :embarrassed:

Agreed and agreed on both.
The practice studio I used to go to had one, and you can get some decent sounds out of it by running pedals thru the clean channel.
I've tried it with a Big Muff, a modded Tube Screamer and a Red Llama. They all sounded good.
 
I loved my 2 twins until my xwife tossed them in the dump while I was in a coma for 18 months. She also chucked most of my music gear with them and sold other bits.
 
My best friend has had one of these forever, and he sounds GREAT through it. You have to know how to tweak it, it's very sensitive. I own a red knob Champ, and it's pretty versatile. Heck, Rivera designed the circuit!
 
good enough for this guy:



the main reason people dont like them is reliablity issues.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
good enough for this guy:

the main reason people dont like them is reliablity issues.

If I correctly remember from someone in a different forum who has driven Steve Cropper to and from a gig, he only travels with his guitar and a cord, and rents his amps. I'm not sure if he actually specifies which kind of Twin or not.
 
If I correctly remember from someone in a different forum who has driven Steve Cropper to and from a gig, he only travels with his guitar and a cord, and rents his amps. I'm not sure if he actually specifies which kind of Twin or not.

thats probably true but Id wager most venues would have a 65TRRI.
 
Back
Top