HC 2.0 forums will be taken off life support...

I've taken a look at the smoldering resurrected wreckage but something feels off, it's not the same.

It's like getting back together with a girl you had a big breakup with and you've gotten back together but later you're wondering why you bothered.

Because she did that thing with her tongue? :shrug:
 
It doesn't roll and pop like it use to. Dead. That is what it is. I really don't have anything against any of the people there, but some of them have really turned into assholes, lately. I was there for close to 15 years...more like 14, I guess, and it has never felt this way. I enjoy here very much, but not a lot is said here.
 
The folks at Harmony Central like to think of themselves as Rock Stars....... well now they're Kurt Cobain. :helper:
 
Ha ha :embarrassed:

It wouldn't let me log in when 2.0 came online and I've not even tried since. This place has a much nicer vibe.

I don't even want to imagine what it was like over the past month with people coming here on masse.
 
The HC fourms have beeen down for a couple hours now so it looks like whatever they did to 2.0 caused a domino effect.

If any of you guys work in IT I would suggest you said a resume to Musicians Friend saying "I'm not 100% I can make it right but I can absolutely guarantee I won't fuck it up as bad as you guys did."
 
Ha ha :embarrassed:

It wouldn't let me log in when 2.0 came online and I've not even tried since. This place has a much nicer vibe.

I don't even want to imagine what it was like over the past month with people coming here on masse.

I would like to play the 'Ditto card'
 
The HC fourms have beeen down for a couple hours now so it looks like whatever they did to 2.0 caused a domino effect.

If any of you guys work in IT I would suggest you said a resume to Musicians Friend saying "I'm not 100% I can make it right but I can absolutely guarantee I won't fuck it up as bad as you guys did."

:grin:
 
Actually some people did. Just a few but they did.

Yeah, they liked it because they could hang out and jerk each other off and no one would come over and tell them what assholes they were.

They had their own little douchebag community going where they could talk shit about everyone else who DIDN'T like 2.0.

Now that 2.0 is gone, I wonder how easy its going to be for them to re-integrate into HC 1.0?

Actually, I don't wonder, I don't really care.
Fuck those guys.
 
Yeah, they liked it because they could hang out and jerk each other off and no one would come over and tell them what assholes they were.

They had their own little douchebag community going where they could talk shit about everyone else who DIDN'T like 2.0.

Now that 2.0 is gone, I wonder how easy its going to be for them to re-integrate into HC 1.0?

Actually, I don't wonder, I don't really care.
Fuck those guys.


I'm really not feeling the vibe between the two forums and the attitudes that have developed....I was gone for a couple years and came back to find the place almost as bad as when it would get pounded by kids on break from school.
 
The biggest thing that I liked about 2.0 was the learning experience I got from trying to write stylish scripts to hack the damn thing to work halfway decent. I learned a few things to do and a lot of what not to do.

I personally never saw it as a huge money grab tactic though. The impression that I got was the vBulletin was giving them problems. Now we all KNOW for a fact that vBulletin is the defacto standard and can run extremely well, but they didn't have a staff on the payroll to manage it. So I think that the crux of the issue was they were trying to run a huge site without ever making the commitment to support it. You could get away with that 5-10 years ago, but not in today's world.

The second thing that I think was the driving force was the desire to utilize the forums for more than just the guys that hung out there. There is a lot of stupidity that goes on in there, but there is also a wealth of knowledge that a lot of people that are just there for reviews and articles miss out on. I think that Jive misrepresented their abilities and under estimated the task they signed up for. I think that it was with the best intentions in mind and that they were convinced that it had to be a single unified solution to pull off the entire makeover. I am sure that a lot of money was spent to do it. I doubt that anyone went into the project with the intentions of making the site unusable on 90% of the machines online or to drive 95% of the community away.

But with all of that said I didn't see one single comment in any of the beta test reports that praised the site and every single issue that plagued it was brought up and they were fully aware of it prior to launch. I've worked on projects were you get so excited that you lose site of the people that are going to be using it and expect them to come around at some point.

I guess they thought that they were TOO BIG and could handle losing a few old disgruntled members. I don't know if you guys were over there in the last few weeks, but it was beyond dead. I've never seen anything like it. But the fact that Anderton himself gave up on it is the ultimate damnation IMHO. That guy championed it, put up with horrible abuse and I have no doubt that he got it from both the users and the brass and probably put countless hours into fixing it. I went from mad to just really sympathetic and felt horrible for the guy. He got caught in a no win situation.

Anyway I have to admit that I am pretty impressed with the fact that they did finally come around. I don't know what the ultimate motivation was, but a lot of times the people that cut the checks are the ones that push the buttons and they don't like spending money with nothing in return. I only hope that they get something back from Jive who clearly mislead a lot of people and failed to deliver anything useful. Heck the damage to the community alone is almost worth litigation.
 
The biggest thing that I liked about 2.0 was the learning experience I got from trying to write stylish scripts to hack the damn thing to work halfway decent. I learned a few things to do and a lot of what not to do.

I personally never saw it as a huge money grab tactic though. The impression that I got was the vBulletin was giving them problems. Now we all KNOW for a fact that vBulletin is the defacto standard and can run extremely well, but they didn't have a staff on the payroll to manage it. So I think that the crux of the issue was they were trying to run a huge site without ever making the commitment to support it. You could get away with that 5-10 years ago, but not in today's world.

The second thing that I think was the driving force was the desire to utilize the forums for more than just the guys that hung out there. There is a lot of stupidity that goes on in there, but there is also a wealth of knowledge that a lot of people that are just there for reviews and articles miss out on. I think that Jive misrepresented their abilities and under estimated the task they signed up for. I think that it was with the best intentions in mind and that they were convinced that it had to be a single unified solution to pull off the entire makeover. I am sure that a lot of money was spent to do it. I doubt that anyone went into the project with the intentions of making the site unusable on 90% of the machines online or to drive 95% of the community away.

But with all of that said I didn't see one single comment in any of the beta test reports that praised the site and every single issue that plagued it was brought up and they were fully aware of it prior to launch. I've worked on projects were you get so excited that you lose site of the people that are going to be using it and expect them to come around at some point.

I guess they thought that they were TOO BIG and could handle losing a few old disgruntled members. I don't know if you guys were over there in the last few weeks, but it was beyond dead. I've never seen anything like it. But the fact that Anderton himself gave up on it is the ultimate damnation IMHO. That guy championed it, put up with horrible abuse and I have no doubt that he got it from both the users and the brass and probably put countless hours into fixing it. I went from mad to just really sympathetic and felt horrible for the guy. He got caught in a no win situation.

Anyway I have to admit that I am pretty impressed with the fact that they did finally come around. I don't know what the ultimate motivation was, but a lot of times the people that cut the checks are the ones that push the buttons and they don't like spending money with nothing in return. I only hope that they get something back from Jive who clearly mislead a lot of people and failed to deliver anything useful. Heck the damage to the community alone is almost worth litigation.

I think I have to agree with everything you've said. Since we aren't the folks who write the checks none of us will ever really know what the motivations were for any of it although I think there was this vision of presenting a totally state of the art site that could become a new mecca for musicians online. All of the stuff HC offered but in an up-to-date and powerful package.

I've always thought that the idea of a money grab was a little silly. They are business to make money, and no one pays them for the right to post on the forums. There is a balance between advertising and killing people with so many ads that the content is lost though and I think that they lost sight of that fact.

I feel like Anderton got the shaft at both ends as well. Some of the less informed forum members even thought that he owned HC and started making all kinds of lame accusations. Mob mentality did little to help the situation.
 
Back
Top