GPOTD - 9.28.10

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
Fret-King_Super-matic.jpg

In-Action.jpg


The Fret-King® Super-matic™ self-tuning guitar, is the first ever guitar to feature the truly outstanding and innovative Wilkinson ATD HT440™ self-tuning hard tail guitar bridge.

Built with all the hallmark Fret-King® style and attributes, the Super-Matic™ is a very cool looking beast, cut from matched, two piece centre jointed American Alder, using heritage styling cues to create a subtly nuanced classic double cut body, with cosmetics redolent of the shared history with which we are all so familiar.

The 25 1/5” scale length, 24 fret, Hard Rock Maple neck, with it’s classic ‘Shallow C’ profile, matched to a premium, close grain Indian Rosewood fingerboard with a 10” radius, finished off with an immaculate fret job, using single cut, hand crowned medium jumbo nickel silver frets assures precision, comfort and provides a playing experience which can only be described as luxurious.

The Super-matic™ features a Hum-single-Hum pickup configuration, with Wilkinson WHHBZ33 offset pole piece ‘Zebra’ humbuckers, wound to a very authentic recipe and a Wilkinson WHSM ‘vintage voiced’ single coil middle pickup.

The combination of carefully voiced and balanced pickups, and the signature Wilkinson 'Vari-coil’ control, (which allows either of the humbuckers to be progressively wound down to single coil), creates an instrument with an
exceptionally versatile palette of sounds capable of literally any musical style.

Available in either Black or Original Classic Burst, complete with rectangular hardshell case, the ATD loaded Fret-King® Super-matic sets a whole new benchmark and opens up a host of new musical possibilities to expand any player’s performance horizons, and creativity.

The Wilkinson ATD™ self-tuning bridge, which has been under development by Trev and his team at ‘Auto Tuning Developments’ over many years, is a super low profile, real time electro-mechanical device utilising ultra hi-tech micro gearboxes, designed to retrofit unobtrusively in to a standard Strat® vibrato bridge rout, (or similar), with a micro hex pickup, controls small enough not to notice, and an intuitive one touch button controlling all the functions and features of this truly incredible device.

Invisibly incorporating the microprocessor control circuitry, the ATD™ bridge allows the player, with just one touch of the function button to automatically tune the Super-Matic™ to standard E-tuning.

Tuning status is confirmed in the hi-visibility display, designed to be viewed whilst playing, and overall tuning is assured with the built in chromatic tuner.

Press the function button again, strum, and let the ATD™ change the guitars tuning from standard E to open G, or change to DADGAD, then to open D - all in the space of just a few seconds, or recalibrate to five additional 'user created' tuning presets in just a few seconds more.


$1599

http://www.fret-king.com/supermatic.html

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like this one. Not crazy about the wonky pickguard shape, but I would still give it a go.
 
At least the prices for these are starting to approach a level that more people can afford. Very cheesy copy though....pickups wound to a 'very authentic recipe' - :facepalm:

I have no interest in this but I know other who would have a good use for it.

Ye old like-o-meter

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
______^_________
 
Love the bridge, but don't love the guitar.

OK, I like it.

Needs a regular pickguard.

I like this one. Not crazy about the wonky pickguard shape, but I would still give it a go.

At least the prices for these are starting to approach a level that more people can afford. Very cheesy copy though....pickups wound to a 'very authentic recipe' - :facepalm:

I have no interest in this but I know other who would have a good use for it.

Ye old like-o-meter

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
______^_________

...but...IT TUNES ITSELF...:eek:
 
I never had a problem with the idea of robot tuners, self tuning guitars, or the like. I just didn't want one in metallic purple for 2 grand. I still don't think I would use the alternate tuning feature very much though.
 
In a nutshell, I'm tired of the strat body shape. Super strats of course, have a strat-style body. I only buy strat bodied guitars nowadays, as a last resort (such as might be the case if I get an 8 string guitar [short of a custom build, you can't get them in any other body shape]).
 
In a nutshell, I'm tired of the strat body shape. Super strats of course, have a strat-style body. I only buy strat bodied guitars nowadays, as a last resort (such as might be the case if I get an 8 string guitar [short of a custom build, you can't get them in any other body shape]).

WANT.

intrepidstddarkburst1.jpg


Yeah, it's still kinda stratty but I like the contours.
 
WANT.

intrepidstddarkburst1.jpg


Yeah, it's still kinda stratty but I like the contours.

I like the Intrepids. The combination of them being 8s, and their price, combined with the more mutated strat body shape, I can live with. The dark burst finish looks cool too.

I've plaeyed the active pickup version a few times at a local Music Go Round (they sold it before I could buy it :() It was a good playing guitar, and it sure sounded cool!

intrepidpro8nat1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I like the Intrepids. The combination of them being 8s, and their price, combined with the more mutated strat body shape, I can live with. The dark burst finish looks cool too.

I've plaeyed the active pickup version a few times at a local Music Go Round (they sold it before I could buy it :() It was a good playing guitar, and it sure sounded cool!

intrepidpro8nat1.jpg

I think I'd really like an 8-string. I used to have a 7-string and I loved using it and I imagine an 8 would be even cooler, although I'd probably set it to my old 7-string tuning with an extra high string:

B F# B E G# C# F# B
 
Over a year ago, too. I saw this in a Guitar Player mag this month, which is why I posted it today.
 
Back
Top