Hot or Not? Gibson Les Paul 7 String

Scott_Abene

Resident Noodge
http://www.guitarworld.com/gibson-introduces-seven-string-les-paul-classic-guitar



Gibson Introduces Seven-String Les Paul Classic Guitar
Posted 10/13/2014 at 11:55am | by
Guitar World Staff
0
Comments
7542

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-13%20at%2011.52.43%20AM.png



Related Content

Gibson has introduced its new Les Paul Classic 7 String — the first ever seven-string Les Paul.

From the company:

For too long the luthiers at Gibson have reserved the seven-string guitars for other popular models like the Flying V and Explorer, but no longer!

The Les Paul Classic 7-String is here to lay down the low down for the single-cut rock machine, with superb power and versatility, and all the iconic looks that made the Les Paul a Classic in the first place.

The mahogany body with traditional weight-relief and carved maple top form the foundation, while the glued-in mahogany neck with one-piece rosewood fingerboard all stick to the 24.75” scale length for the playing feel you’ve come to love. A Seymour Duncan ’59+ in the neck position and hot JB in the bridge blast out scorching humbucker tones, with push-pull coil splitting for brighter single-coil sound, and there’s an onboard 15 dB Turbo Boost when you really need to blow the house down.

The popular SlimTaper neck profile helps you maintain speed and playing ease across the full seven strings, and feels great from low-string riffing to high-fret wailing. The Les Paul Classic 7-String comes protected in a Vintage Brown Gibson hardshell case.

Check out the photo gallery below, and
head here for more information, including specs 'n' such.
 
I just don' get 7 strings. I know some folks take full advantage of all 7 strings, but it seems like most folks could get by with a 6 string just tuned down to B or whatever the low string is on a 7 string.
 
What is it with these 7-strings, Is this an evolutionary stage for humans seeking more tone? What's next, a guitar neck that covers 3 octaves?
 
What is it with these 7-strings, Is this an evolutionary stage for humans seeking more tone? What's next, a guitar neck that covers 3 octaves?

I took lessons from an old Jazz Guy named Allen Hanlon. I started taking lessons from him in 1974. He played 7 string Jazz guitar way back then and way earlier. Sounded amazing. It can be done tastefully.
 
I'll say the same thing I said last week on MyLesPaul, and the Sevenstring guitar forums - pass!!!

Sorry, but unless I'd use a telephone cable thick 7th string (in which case there will be playing feel and intonation issues) it's going to be too sloppy for my taste on the 7th string. Make it at least a 25.5" or better yet a 26.5" scale length, and I'm game (especially since I'm sick of all of the Super-Strat 7s [and 8-strings for that matter] that are out there). Until them, I'll either bite the bullet, and get another Super-Strat bodied 7-string (I can get nickel and chromium free 7-string sets [forget about 8-string sets, nobody makes 'em heavy enough for an 8th string] - remember, I have nickel and chromium allergies), or do some searching for the few and far between Tele, and semi-hollow longer scaled 7-strings.
 
I like the way it looks, but two problems here for me:

1) scale length is, as everyone else has mentioned, inept. And...

2) it's a Gibson.
 
Back
Top