Do you have a favorite neck profile, and if so, what?

ExiledCrow

Les Paulverizer
I find I prefer the slimmer necks in general. Love a Jackson compound radius, but at the moment I'm most enjoying the neck of my Iommi sig. It's not fat by any means, being a Epi/Gibby "slim taper", but has just enough heft for me. :love:

So, what about you?
 
The back of a neck isn't all that important to me...now I'm finding that I kind of like the rounder radius', too. My favorite neck at the moment is on my Tokai which is 7.25 radius and shaped like a 58 strat. pretty different from the neck on my SUhr strat which is a 60's C neck with a 10-14" compound radius.
 
9 radius or greater for me.. on those round necks they tend to fret out if i go for some strong bends.. my electra must be 12 or 13 just dead flat mostly.. i really like that guitar
 
I really like the assymetrical necks on the Peavey Wolfgangs. I prefer a 1 11/16" nut though.

So, both of my Warmoths have the Wolfgang back contour, but with the 1 11/16" nut. It's damned near the perfect neck for me.
 
I like necks with the strings on the front. Other than that I don't have a preference. Every one of my guitars has a very different neck profile and I love them all.
 
The back of a neck isn't all that important to me...now I'm finding that I kind of like the rounder radius', too. My favorite neck at the moment is on my Tokai which is 7.25 radius and shaped like a 58 strat. pretty different from the neck on my SUhr strat which is a 60's C neck with a 10-14" compound radius.

+1

The radius is rather important too, but for me depends on the guitar and what I use it for.

In terms of 7-strings, my favourite neck is the one on my RG2127X. Not as thin as the RG7620's, and not as strangely rectangluar feeling as the UV777's. Has a rather flat fretboard (same with the others), which for the kind of thing suits me fine. Same thing would probably feel very odd on my Strat. Can't deal with fatter necks on a 7-string though.

I tried a few Artcores (lower end stuff) a couple of months back and they just didn't work for me. The necks were either too thin for my liking for a 6er, or it was a strange combo of fatter neck and flat fretboard. If it's a fatter neck, I want a smaller radius to go with it. :shrug:

For a 6, I like the necks on the US Deluxe Strats. :)
 
I have two favorite necks in my collection. One is a Fender American Deluxe which is a medium C with 9.5" radius fingerboard and slightly larger than medium frets. The other is a Parker Nitefly which feels close to a medium C with 10"-14" compound radius fingerboard and slightly larger than medium frets. But, I seem to be able to get used to almost anything. I have a variety, from thin to wide fat and flat to round fingerboard (7.25" to 14").
 
My favourite is the new Les Paul Standard "Assymetrical" shape..fits perfectly for me. I also really like the neck on Fender American Standard Strats...I don't mind the wide/thin Ibanez Wizard type necks..but can find them tiring to play on after a while.
 
Assymetrical soft V, with either compound radius or 12". :thu:
Also I love the Wolfgang profile on the Warmoth neck I have. Comfy. :love:
I have small hands so the modern C that's on all the new Fenders cramp my hand up after a while of playing. :embarrassed:
 
I love the V on my Jerry Donahue Tele. It's just like the Jimmie Vaughn profile except the Tele has a 7.25 radius and vintage frets.
 
I really like the assymetrical necks on the Peavey Wolfgangs. I prefer a 1 11/16" nut though.

So, both of my Warmoths have the Wolfgang back contour, but with the 1 11/16" nut. It's damned near the perfect neck for me.

Mmmmmmm :love: I've played a couple of Pevaey Wolfies and very much liked the necks and I'd assume that most of the other Wolfgang necks are roughly similar
 
Not sure of the specs, but I have 3 Charvel 1990-1991 guitars, and the necks are like "buttah".

I have a few other guitars as well (for versatility), but those old Charvels are my "go to" machines.
 
Mmmmmmm :love: I've played a couple of Pevaey Wolfies and very much liked the necks and I'd assume that most of the other Wolfgang necks are roughly similar

Yeah, I've got two Wolfgangs and the necks feel very similar, even though one of them is an American Standard and the other is an American Special.

The Warmoths feel a whole lot bigger, even though the contour and thickness are very similar. The Warmoths just have a wider nut.

Also, one of them has the same 6105 fret wire the Wolfgangs have, while the other has 6100 fretwire, which is bigger than the frets on the Wolfies. The one with 6100 wire feels a lot bigger than the one with 6105s, though the necks itself specs out almost exactly the same.
 
Back
Top