Anybody else's music choices dictated by their guitars?

bsman

b00b
I have some guitars (tele, LP special) that allow me to choose the music I wish to play, but for some reason whenever I pick up my SG Melody Maker, it insists that before I do anything else I play "Smoke Two Joints" "The Harder They Come" or some other reggae tune. The Fender Cyclone I got yesterday seems to demand I play at least one Elvis Costello song before I am free to pick my tunes. If it isn't bad enough being bossed around by a wife and daughter (son has never tried to boss me), now I'm getting bossed around by my guitars?!?!
 
when I pick up my black pointy Rich, the first thing I play (every single time) is Black Magic by Slayer....
followed by the opening riff of Iron man, usually while wearing an Iron Man mask.
 
I'd do a beer commercial...
hell, I'd even play a Strat for one

but it'd be a cheapo kncok-off, and the ad would be for Lucky Lager.

I'd play a MUNG tune.
maybe Grease Up Your Finger and Go Fuck Yourself.


and I'd use 5 tubescreamers
at once


















once
 

107219.jpg
 
In my case it is more my guitar choices guided by my musical tastes. There is a reason I have 3 acoustics and only 1 electric. :grin:
 
Absolutely. Different guitars want to play different music.
It's all subliminal really. You hear the tone of a given guitar and subconsciously think "that sounds like..." so that's what you play.
 
I do tend to play more strumming, bluesy stuff on a Tele. The LP covers everything else.
I want a 335 to try out some older Rush type tunes.
 
I don't know if it's a made to, but I always start an SG session with some AC/DC.
Once I get it out of my system, I'm fine.
 
I have an acoustic that sits on a stand in the bedroom. It's tuned to open D, and when I pick it up I'll almost always play "Little Martha" to warm up. If I pick up a Tele I'll warm up with some pedal steel bends up and down the neck. A Strat sits on a stand in my office and I usually put on a drum track and play "Funk 49" to start with.
 
Back
Top