Another NAD!

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Bought a Peavey 6505+ MH 20 watt mini head at the Sweetwater Gearfest yesterday.

Everything is on sale during Gearfest, so I picked it up for $429 instead of the list $499 :)

So far my impressions are very good. Surprisingly it has a decent clean channel. Not nearly as good as as my EVH III mini nor Carvin X100B, but it's not bad. Not alot of headroom on it at only 20w though. Not sure the clean channel would be usable in a club situation with it's lack of headroom. There is a 'Crunch' button for the clean channel which allows you to go from nice bluesy tones to all out EVH brown sound crunchy gain goodness. Sounds wonderful, and gets louder than the all-clean tones. Could be used in a band/club, especially mic'ed up.

The high gain channel…OMG, this is what I'm talking about!!! This little amp sounds absolutely killer! This is the droid..err, tone, I've been looking for. Blows the EVH III and Carvin out of the water on high gain tone. Loud, too!

Maybe I should've gotten an old 5150/6505 years ago, if this is what they sound like.

Here's a good video of Chappers & The Captain with one:
 
Sweet!

The biggest difference you're probably hearing between your 5150-III mini and the 6505MH are the Chinese tubes that Peavey puts in theirs versus the JJs that Fender puts in the 5150-III.
 
I still think this little amp sounds killer plugged into my old Carvin 2x12 w/ Carvin British series 100w speakers. Carvin has never made their own speakers though, Celestion, Eminence, JBL, and a few others have always been the actual speaker-makers. I think these are really just the Celestion 100w 12" guitar speakers :embarrassed:

Anyways, I went to my friend's house yesterday and jammed with his new band, brought this 6505 micro head. On 20w, it can definitely keep up and is loud enough, with the 2x12 cab.

He wanted to record a song they'd been working on, with me on lead guitar, so we hooked the amp up thru his board using the XLR line out. My guitar sounded fairly muffled and muddy thru his board. Now I'm wondering if that is just a trait of the amp's line-out, or if it was his board/speakers. He was playing one of those Line6 Bogner tube hybrid amps thru the same board, and his set up sounded great.

idn_smilie
 
I'm guessing you would have to tweak the amp a ton from going into a cab to straight into the board.
 
Line outs suck. They always have... even the "speaker emulated" ones. Line 6 are just modellers with clean power amps so they can run direct easier.. but they sound just as fuzzy and shitty live as they do direct (IMO). On a Line out, you're not getting the second half of the amp, nor are you getting the physical change that happens in the speaker cabinet.

Best bet is a decent mic... even an old 57 set just off axis.... you don't want to mic the center of the cone, you want to mic the cone moving. I use a Senheiser e609 that hangs from the top of the amp against the face of the cabinet.
 
He wanted me thru the board because it was the whole band playing, and they have a little room off to the side for the singer (his 19 year-old daughter) and a room for the drummer. So just playing thru my cab, the singer & drummer wouldn't hear me.

So I should go out and get a SM57, mic the cab, and run that thru the board in that situation?

I'm not going to be the full-time lead guitarist, with working 3rd shift, some forced overtimes, and him living 30 miles away I just can't make a commitment to it. But he has several other guitarists that are in the same boat as me, so he figures between all of us he has lined up he can make some recording and play some live shows, depending on who's available.

If I ever had to play a live show with them, I'd bring either the EVH III mini or the Carvin X100B
 
You have options.... it's good to own your own mic, but I might consider something like the Tech 21 RK5 that Myz and I both have. I've used mine at gigs ran direct (like when someone joins us at the last minute, I'd set them up direct and give them a spare guitar) and it actually sounds pretty great, plus it's all analogue. Then, when you can play through your amp, it's a super useful pedal.

 
Here it is direct.



I think it sounds better in an amp, but it's definitely usable when ran direct.



I set my clean channel kind of sharp and spanky, but with the sans amp in the middle, a little warmer and crunchier. Then the gain section I run it just shy of a vintage van halen gain. I don't really do chug chug metal. Then I adjust the boost accordingly as well as the delay. If I have the delay level a little too loud, then I'll tap it twice really fast and it becomes a slapback. Then it sounds like a really loud reverb without long tail and I don't have to worry about the delay washing everything out.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top