Which do you think is the most accurate weather resource

most accurate weather source

• Total voters
so it seems we have a lot of weather forcast haters here....if I may ask a question to you all.....

If the Donner party had access to a long range forcast do you think they may not have had to eat each other/ would they have packed extra salted meat, etc 'just in case", more blankets, etc

Weather Channel is the Fox News of weather, and Jim Cantore standing outside during a hurricane is the Tucker Carlson of weather. And don't get me started on naming snow storms...

Long range forecasts tend to change so much that I find them to be not very useful. I look at them when we are planning a trip and often find that it has changed before we actually leave for the trip. I am not anti-forecast, but I do tend to view them the same way I do Nostradamus.

Reactions: Tig
Weather Underground is pretty good...
Yes, WU is my go-to. As a former NWS guy, I've very picky with my weather products. Their customizable location specific hourly forecast chart and Wundermap make it the best source I know of. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/tx/ellington/KEFD

52564272753_7fd24a920c_b.jpg

My backup for animated radar images is https://abc13.com/weather/

Im gonna go old school and say the meteorologist on the local news

They're the only ones who interpret the data on a granular enough level to be accurate here in tertiary-market Michigan. Weather channel seems to have an algorithm that just gives us the average between Chicago and Detroit, but being east of a Great Lake is its own thing.

I read the NWS forecast discussion for the best data.
I like WU for current daily forecast as well as a decent (but not perfect) predictor.

Weather Channel is the Fox News of weather, and Jim Cantore standing outside during a hurricane is the Tucker Carlson of weather. And don't get me started on naming snow storms...

Long range forecasts tend to change so much that I find them to be not very useful. I look at them when we are planning a trip and often find that it has changed before we actually leave for the trip. I am not anti-forecast, but I do tend to view them the same way I do Nostradamus.
I haven't seen the weather channel on tv since the 90's i think. When I mentioned the weather channel above it is the website and the app both of which constantly update and are very accurate.
as far as the long term you are correct....they aren't super reliable but they are generally pretty accurate, close enough "ball park" as the saying goes to make a general assumption . For instance the chance of rain or snow will not be too accurate but the actual temperature will be "in the ballpark" so it's useful for that but probably more so if you've lived in the local for a long period and you know that certain times of the year will be warmer (at least here it's that way) . Like here we will generally have cold spells in december that come maybe the second or third week of December but it's almost garunteed that christmas week will warm up. So if yer a newbie here you got no clue but if you;ve lived here for decades you know how it goers and you can use that knowledge coupled with the long term forecast.

If I have a cool cock, I will check out the local weather girls on tv. It doesn't matter which channel. Playboy Centerfolds have nothing on these ladies(kidding honey).
I have The Weather Channel app. It's accurate and easy to use. I haven't felt the need to search and compare.

The only weather I ever check is the current temp before I leave the house in the morning. And that usually only in the winter so I know if I have to warm up my car.

I have major contempt for weather/radio television.

Weather Channel shit should be banned.

Weather should only ever be discussed in television/radio news if there’s a major storm or natural disaster.

Check online if you’re travelling or boating or flying.

Long-range forecasts info should never be able given to the media or to the public.

This is my firm position. If you disagree with this position, then I’m afraid to say that you are deeply incorrect.

I have a feeling you don't live where the weather is constantly trying to kill you and the air hurts your face six or seven months of the year. When we lived in Santa Clara, I didn't follow the weather at all closely. In Wisconsin, it's a survival necessity...

If I’ve got plans to leave the willamette valley/city, I’ll check multiple sources, and come winter, the numerous road cameras in the region on ODOTs tripcheck. Driving is going to involve elevation changes, mountain passes, and passing through multiple microclimates.

Days I go into work, i’m going from 25’ above sea level to 1,000’ then down to 190’ in the span of 25 minutes.

The only weather I ever check is the current temp before I leave the house in the morning. And that usually only in the winter so I know if I have to warm up my car.
Maybe it’s because I work outside but I need to know whether it will be cloudy, windy, etc this time of year so I can dress for it. I’m either outside under a shaded canopy or the building blocks the sun (usually) add some wind and the fact we have no heat in the shop and it can get cold especially if there is wind

Maybe it’s because I work outside but I need to know whether it will be cloudy, windy, etc this time of year so I can dress for it. I’m either outside under a shaded canopy or the building blocks the sun (usually) add some wind and the fact we have no heat in the shop and it can get cold especially if there is wind

I get that. I check it in the morning before I leave for work so I don’t freeze on my way in (I have a 3 mile commute, so the car doesn’t have time to heat up if I don’t start it early.). I guess my point was, I don’t check the 5 day forecast or anything like that. I need to know what I’m walking out into right then. Any weather should be able to tell you the current conditions and be accurate.

I have a feeling you don't live where the weather is constantly trying to kill you and the air hurts your face six or seven months of the year. When we lived in Santa Clara, I didn't follow the weather at all closely. In Wisconsin, it's a survival necessity...

Not my photo, but taken in my city in January. Wisconsin is for (sad) kids.

BDDDBEB6-680B-40FD-A404-1EF1E5ED93A5.jpeg

In the summer I check it constantly to keep tabs on rainfall in the garden. In the winter, I'm watching for snow days to get off work. I don't check much between first frost and first snow.

Back